Dinklebot is out. Welcome Nolanbot (Destiny)

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:13 (3160 days ago)

wow, completely removing dinklage dialogue

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:19 (3160 days ago) @ CougRon

- No text -

Cody, we need you.....

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:11 (3160 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

....to re-record all the cutscenes. thanks in advance. :)

Cody, we need you.....

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 16:22 (3160 days ago) @ Schedonnardus
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 16:27

I'm not playing Destiny anymore. But I've made sure that the cutscene Library will always be updated, in 1080p with surround sound like you guys are used to. Claude is probably going to be doing it from here on out, but if anyone else wants to I can definitely provide instructions / help, etc.

I'm done with Destiny, but definitely not done with bungie.org

Cody, we need you.....

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 16:45 (3160 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not playing Destiny anymore. But I've made sure that the cutscene Library will always be updated, in 1080p with surround sound like you guys are used to. Claude is probably going to be doing it from here on out, but if anyone else wants to I can definitely provide instructions / help, etc.

I'm done with Destiny, but definitely not done with bungie.org

heh, i was giving you an out to comeback and play.

Dinklebot is out. Welcome Nolanbot

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:19 (3160 days ago) @ CougRon

"Not only does Nolan North play Ghost in the new content in The Taken King, but Bungie also had North re-record all of the original dialogue to create a consistent storytelling experience from beginning to end. “We wanted Nolan North’s version of the Ghost to wake you up at the start of the journey at level one and follow you all the way to level forty,” says creative director Luke Smith. With this change, the Ghost’s script will remain the same, but Peter Dinklage’s voicing of those lines will not be present in the game."

Woh... this blew my mind. They are not only replacing Dinklebot, they are wiping him from existence!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:24 (3160 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Also, Nolan North didn't listen to any of the original dialog so that he wouldn't be influence by the original.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:26 (3160 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Also, Nolan North didn't listen to any of the original dialog so that he wouldn't be influence by the original.

Yeah, I like this guy already.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:56 (3160 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Did you like this guy?

[image]

by Zero @, Florida, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:57 (3160 days ago) @ Leviathan

Did you like this guy?

[image]

Or this guy?

[image]

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:01 (3160 days ago) @ Zero

Did you like this guy?

[image]

Or this guy?

[image]

Or this guy, if you're not a Halo fan?

[image]

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 16:12 (3160 days ago) @ Funkmon

Did you like this guy?

[image]

Or this guy?

[image]

Or this guy, if you're not a Halo fan?

[image]

I know, right?

Not a fan of every other thing ever? Why not? He's in every single damn game. Ever. I think he's mandatory now.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:02 (3160 days ago) @ Zero

Or 1/2 of the voices in a video game from the last ten years?

Or so it seems sometimes...

You joke,

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:04 (3160 days ago) @ Leviathan

but I think he might actually have voiced 50% of the characters in Portal 2.

[image]

or this guy?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:57 (3160 days ago) @ Leviathan

[image]

Dammit, Zero

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:58 (3160 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:26 (3160 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Woh... this blew my mind. They are not only replacing Dinklebot, they are wiping him from existence!

[image]

WOW!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:21 (3160 days ago) @ CougRon

- No text -

Audio Grimoire?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:46 (3160 days ago) @ CougRon

We have additional details about the Ghost in this month’s cover story, including ways in which the character now presents a new optional avenue into learning about Destiny’s lore.

Wait, could it be that Nolanbot is going to read the grimoire to us?

by ProbablyLast, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:48 (3160 days ago) @ CougRon

I guess I'm going to play through the game again once TTK releases.

Yep. Gonna have to delete my titan again.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:53 (3160 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

Will remake Hunter for 4th/5th time

by ProbablyLast, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:57 (3160 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Why?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:34 (3160 days ago) @ Funkmon

Except for the first mission, you can replay the rest by just selecting them from the map.

It's not the same as doing them with crap guns and 0 skills.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 18:11 (3159 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

So true. I kind of want to re-roll a character now.

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 20:45 (3159 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Just make a new profile

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 20:48 (3159 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

If you don't want to delete a character, at least.

Too much work.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 02:01 (3159 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Really? Takes 30 seconds.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 07:59 (3159 days ago) @ Funkmon

On PS4 at least. And you can piggyback off your main accounts PSN, too, so you literally just need to select "New Profile" and pick a name. Job done.

On XBL, you need to make a new XBL account.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 08:05 (3159 days ago) @ someotherguy

Which they give you for free, but I need to repopulate my friends listand crap. Also, I was mostly joking.

Oh. Lame.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:41 (3159 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

This is crazy...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:53 (3160 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I guess I'm going to play through the game again once TTK releases.

Yeah, me too. Guess I'll just start over my Warlock that didn't get very far.

I don't know if I've ever heard of this happening in a game before. Crazy!

On one hand I don't like the idea of forever losing Dinklage's performance; on the other hand I can see this as an important step in making the ongoing campaign better.

But how will we know about the CELL FROM THE PRISON OF ELDER

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:50 (3160 days ago) @ CougRon

S

But how will we know about the CELL FROM THE PRISON OF ELDER

by TheGhostBrigade, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 18:58 (3159 days ago) @ CyberKN

Thank you for making my day.

No more Dinklebot?!

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:59 (3160 days ago) @ CougRon

That makes me a sad panda.

No more Dinklebot?! :`(

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:14 (3160 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

not sure if you're serious or not, but...

I too will miss him.

No more Dinklebot?! :`(

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:29 (3160 days ago) @ dogcow

not sure if you're serious or not, but...

I too will miss him.

I just REALLY want to know how the "Little Light" scene is going to go. Because I really like that scene and I think Dinglage did a pretty good job of it. It was also the only good thing he did... but whatever.

Dinklebot is $$$

by Durandal, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:01 (3160 days ago) @ CougRon

I have this suspicion that money must have been an issue on the side. They must have known they would need more dialog, but either failed to get that in the contract or hoped they could negotiate more lines later and it fell through.

So for TTK, they went with an alternate plan and Nolanbot is born.

Dinklebot is $$$

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:10 (3160 days ago) @ Durandal

I suspect that this is the case as well -- for various reasons they couldn't get peter dinklage back in to keep things going. So they're moving to someone who can do the voice for them long term.

Dinklebot is $$$

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:26 (3160 days ago) @ Durandal

I have this suspicion that money must have been an issue on the side. They must have known they would need more dialog, but either failed to get that in the contract or hoped they could negotiate more lines later and it fell through.

So for TTK, they went with an alternate plan and Nolanbot is born.

I suspect you're right. I also suspect both parties would be more interested in keeping the relationship going if Dinklage had been widely acknowledged as the best part of the game. Alas, that decidedly was not the case.

I wonder if this means I'll be able to sell my physical Dinklebot in 2024 and retire to an island somewhere.

They should have never used him.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:39 (3160 days ago) @ Durandal

How did they not think this would be an issue? I've thought all along that they only hired him because of name recognition. What has he done that would make them think he would be good in a leading role in a video game? I would have rather had them hire an established voice actor from the start, even if he wasn't a well known name. I'm happy now that they've got someone who seems dedicated to the roll, and has the experience to provide a good performance.

They should have never used him.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 16:15 (3160 days ago) @ bluerunner

How did they not think this would be an issue? I've thought all along that they only hired him because of name recognition. What has he done that would make them think he would be good in a leading role in a video game? I would have rather had them hire an established voice actor from the start, even if he wasn't a well known name. I'm happy now that they've got someone who seems dedicated to the roll, and has the experience to provide a good performance.

I think perhaps they were emboldened by the experience they had with Nathan Fillion, who became such a fan of the franchise that I think scheduling him and signing him became non-issues.

Not sure if Dinklage every really would have warmed to Destiny the way Fillion did to Halo, but it seems a fair bet that even if he had, the negative fan and press reaction to Dinklebot might have given both sides food for thought.

Can't say it's a huge surprise they made a change... I just really, really don't like the change they made. I'd have rather kept Ghost silent and had him replaced with somebody else, or have a new Ghost going forward with Dinklebot still around, or make it an option... these kinds of changes are continuity-destroying, at least for me.

It's payback for Dinklage doing 'Pixels'.

by BlackstarBSP, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 16:21 (3160 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

Awww, I want Bakerbot

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:41 (3160 days ago) @ CougRon

Troy Baker is my other, other spirit animal.

Awww, I want Bakerbot

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:46 (3160 days ago) @ someotherguy

He's awesome, but so is Nolan North. If they had chosen nearly anyone else I can think of, I probably would have thought "why not Troy Baker or Nolan North?"

Awww, I want Bakerbot

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 16:16 (3160 days ago) @ Kermit

He's awesome, but so is Nolan North. If they had chosen nearly anyone else I can think of, I probably would have thought "why not Troy Baker or Nolan North?"

Baker I could see. I just don't get the appeal of Nolan North at all.

Blessedbot is the Bot to end all bots

by Durandal, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 16:54 (3160 days ago) @ narcogen

"That sunsinger is ALIVE!"
"You know the Darkness law Oryx, outside his own kingdom the hunter becomes the HUNTED!"
"Flying blind in the Birth of History?!?"
"Hive minions! DIE!"
"Impetuous Ghost! Ah, well... who wants to live forever? SLIDE!"

ROFL. I'd pay real cash money for that voice.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 17:40 (3160 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

I was thinking the same thing :-)

by scarab @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 18:33 (3159 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

Awww, I want Bakerbot

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 18:36 (3159 days ago) @ narcogen

To be honest, I know him by reputation mainly. I don't know his work except for what he did in ODST, Uncharted, and The Last of Us, and that indicates to me that he is talented and can handle a variety of characters.

This all reminds me of a The Last of Us panel with Baker and Ashley Johnson where Baker joked about being much cheaper than Dinklage.

Awww, I want Bakerbot

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 18:40 (3159 days ago) @ Kermit

To be honest, I know him by reputation mainly. I don't know his work except for what he did in ODST, Uncharted, and The Last of Us, and that indicates to me that he is talented and can handle a variety of characters.

This all reminds me of a The Last of Us panel with Baker and Ashley Johnson where Baker joked about being much cheaper than Dinklage.

I looked at both Baker and Nolan on IMDB. Holy !@#$ they both have a ton of experience. In just about everything. I would take either of them :-)

Good grief. Thought this was a joke. Ugh.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 16:11 (3160 days ago) @ CougRon

- No text -

That's weird. I couldn't care less. Why's it matter so much?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 17:41 (3160 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

If it actually didn't matter, they wouldn't have changed it.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 23:35 (3159 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Business, man.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 23:49 (3159 days ago) @ narcogen

I mean, it doesn't matter who finishes a contacting job on my house as long as it's finished and done with some modicum of skill and sensibility. But if my contractor decided to not finish the job, or demanded way too much pay, or a bunch of other crap, I gotta switch dudes. There might be a bunch of stuff going wrong with Dinklage we don't know about.

Bungle could have killed Ghost off and given us a new one. We don't know for sure how they work yet. They didn't, though. They may be stuck with the universe not allowing new ghosts, meaning they have only one option: re do the choice.

Who plays Ghost doesn't matter. He's still Ghost. Going through and redoing the voices just eliminates the confusion for new players who might be a little surprised by the switch to Dick Sargent from Dick York halfway through.

This is exciting.

by LostSpartan, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 20:41 (3159 days ago) @ CougRon

Nolan North is in everything for a good reason: he is a damn fine voice actor. I'm excited to see what he brings to the table. Nothing against Dinklage but it was clear it just wasn't a good fit and with a VO veteran like North as Ghost, things will only go up in the future.

Welp

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 20:44 (3159 days ago) @ CougRon

[image]

Welp

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 21:57 (3159 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

[image]

Disagree. That will be when they get Whoopi Goldberg to be the voice of the Traveler in year 9.

Welp

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 23:59 (3159 days ago) @ Kermit

Hahaha good point :)

I... I don't get it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 00:04 (3159 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

I... I don't get it

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 00:10 (3159 days ago) @ ZackDark

Just making a joke.

I... I don't get it

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 09:19 (3159 days ago) @ ZackDark

This is the scene where the Fonz jumps the shark

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:14 (3159 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Ah, got it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:26 (3159 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

It's funny you say that.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 00:08 (3159 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Dinklage is a great example of casting a name, not a performance, IMO. He's pretty Cousin Oliver to me. He didn't do much VO work, but is a hot commodity right now, so they got him. Nolan North is known to basically nobody except us self aware video game nerds. My friend plays games every day but doesn't visit forums much or follow news. I explained to him the Keith David joke from Saint's Row, then told him about Baker and North. These guys are hired because they have voiceover talent. They are purely hired for skill and familiarity with the process, definitely not for publicity, which is what the jumping the shark thing is about. I don't think I could say the same about Peter Dinklage.

Hmmm.

by Sammy Whammy, Gravity Falls, OR., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:10 (3159 days ago) @ CougRon

*pictures Ghost talking like the Space Sphere*

...or better yet Richtofen!

The curiosity is killing me. What voice will he create for a Ghost?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread