The Taken King We Are Guardians Trailer (Destiny)

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 05:53 (3180 days ago)
edited by UnrealCh13f, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 06:25

Year 2 is going to be interesting.

Bungie has gone full Bioware it seems...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 06:37 (3180 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

In terms of a trailer giving me chills, and giving space battles the appropriate level of mind-blowing awesomeness.

I NEEEEEEEED it!

This didn't give you chills?

by Earendil, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 14:52 (3180 days ago) @ Korny

I get chills twice in 60 seconds.

HD version

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 14:58 (3180 days ago) @ Earendil

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 15:01 (3180 days ago) @ Earendil
edited by MacAddictXIV, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 15:13

I get chills twice in 60 seconds.

Now you made me start watching random Halo videos.

EDIT: I also forgot how great and also depressing most of the movie promos are. I mean, I know that the whole purpose was to show that we were losing the war against the Covenant but damn, every fight looks like Normandy beach. And the more depressing part is is that it was said that on the ground is where we actually had a chance. In space we were totally !@#$ed.

Anyway, I kinda wish Destiny had my hype videos like some of the Halos did. I mean the only live action one I've seen was just funny (and I loved it) but there could be some more serious stuff. Sure, it's harder to relate to Guardians as oppose to Billions of humans dying in a losing war. But still, Destiny is the aftermath of basically the same thing.

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 10:18 (3179 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Agree, that first live action video still gives me chills when I watch it and fires me up to go kill things. The humor in it was perfect. I will watch it every so often to get pumped up for a raid or crucible or something. It was just so freaking well done. More of that please bungie.

CC

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 10:43 (3179 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

Well there's got to more hasn't there? After all, they need to reshoot with NolanBot now, right. :)

I like these.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 07:35 (3180 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

But these look like standard MMO fare in terms of commercials. Join us, etc. Nothing entices me less as a gamer. Except I like these because I'm already into Destiny. Bungie doesn't seem to be marketing to me if I didn't already play the game. Hmm.

I like these.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 09:30 (3180 days ago) @ Funkmon

Wow. Completely disagree. The narrator is speaking as one of us, but then directs the listener to join us. I think it's directed precisely to people who haven't played the game.

I love it.

I like these.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 09:51 (3180 days ago) @ Kermit

Wow. Completely disagree. The narrator is speaking as one of us, but then directs the listener to join us. I think it's directed precisely to people who haven't played the game.

I love it.

No, we agree 100%. I find it amusing that I definitely would refuse to play the game if this commercial was my major exposure to the game.

I only think it's cool because I've already played the game.

For example, I use a head trauma index when watching movie previews. If there is head trauma in a preview, I know the movie probably won't be funny. Time to head trauma is proportional to amount of humor in the film. I know these are probably good marketing tools for those who enjoy those types of movies, but to me it's a warning sign, unless I am already familiar with the property and can get excited from other things. Look at Lazer Team from Rooster Teeth. Looks cool to me, but my head trauma index puts it at the unfunny part of the spectrum. I would not see this movie if I didn't trust those guys.

When I said they weren't marketing to me, I meant me. Not people in general. I am probably not the type of person they were targeting.

guess you won't be watching Deadpool then

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:25 (3180 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

From the other end of the spectrum...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 15:57 (3179 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I won't be watching Lazer Team (sp?), because those guys are all so painfully unfunny, and the trailer was clearly more of their brand of stupid humor. However, as much as I enjoy Ryan Reynolds' passion for the subject matter, and have always thought him perfect for the role, I'm not entirely sold on the Deadpool movie either. An effective trailer is very important, even if it's ultimately misleading (see: the awesomeness of Michael Bay trailers versus how godawful the movies are).
Of course, great films have had terrible trailers too, so you never know. It is indeed ultimately up to being the targeted demographic, but I love this Taken King trailer because as someone who has played the game, the achievements that he's talking about aren't some noodle incident, they are MY accomplishments, and it reminds me of the first time that I succeeded at them, while reminding me that there's mich more to be done.
I dunno, I found it to cater to both those who have played, and those who haven't tried it yet.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 16:00 (3179 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I will. I've read most issues of the comic books since I've been 15 or 16.

But I don't like the look of the trailer. Not for the head trauma index (shooting dudes in the head is fine, I meant as a gag), but for what they showed of Deadpool. The jokes were similar to the comic book, but they are what I would classify as filler jokes. I don't know how I feel about a preview of a movie showing in my opinion what the worst Deadpool jokes are. My initial reaction at 6 AM when I saw it was that TJ Miller was the best part of the trailer. Now, about 8 hours later, I still think TJ Miller is the best part of the trailer.

I trust Marvel movies now. I will see it.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 16:28 (3179 days ago) @ Funkmon

I trust Marvel movies now. I will see it.

technically a Fox movie, not part of the MCU. Marvel just cashes the checks on this one.

I am now much more worried.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:44 (3179 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:23 (3179 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I was pretty "eh" for most of the trailer. But they sold me on the movie right around the 2:07 mark. When the sword clangs match up with the timing of the music...

I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

I like these.

by DreadPirateWes, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 16:04 (3179 days ago) @ Funkmon

I love it.

No, we agree 100%. I find it amusing that I definitely would refuse to play the game if this commercial was my major exposure to the game.

I only think it's cool because I've already played the game.

For example, I use a head trauma index when watching movie previews. If there is head trauma in a preview, I know the movie probably won't be funny. Time to head trauma is proportional to amount of humor in the film. I know these are probably good marketing tools for those who enjoy those types of movies, but to me it's a warning sign, unless I am already familiar with the property and can get excited from other things. Look at Lazer Team from Rooster Teeth. Looks cool to me, but my head trauma index puts it at the unfunny part of the spectrum. I would not see this movie if I didn't trust those guys.

When I said they weren't marketing to me, I meant me. Not people in general. I am probably not the type of person they were targeting.

Strange that this trailer is geared towards people who are already in the game (the narrator speaking as one of us) and then re-uses so much old footage. I was hoping to see way more new stuff instead of old movies re-cut.

Cmdr Shepard unifies the races against the reapers!

by Durandal, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 09:41 (3180 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

[image]

Gigantic Space battles are awesome!
I wonder how we convince the Fallen to support our efforts to take out the Hive, or does the Queen call on guardians to save her empire?

I think, at this point, SHE owes US :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 10:17 (3180 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

I think, at this point, SHE owes US :)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:48 (3180 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yeah, I kinda assumed the "debt" we owed her was redeemed when we beat the shit out of the wolves and captured Skolas (And then killed him)

Did we ever owe her anything?

by scarab @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 18:35 (3179 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

seems to me we helped her out as much as the city. The Vex are a galactic threat.

OK, given that we agreed to the deal then we had to help her out but I don't think she ever put herself out for us.

If we'd had a Mass Effect dialogue wheel then I would have gone all renegade on her :-)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 18:38 (3179 days ago) @ scarab

seems to me we helped her out as much as the city. The Vex are a galactic threat.

For some reason, I don't really think the awoken really give a shit about anyone, whether it's a galactic threat or not. If it serves their purposes, then so be it.

OK, given that we agreed to the deal then we had to help her out but I don't think she ever put herself out for us.

If we'd had a Mass Effect dialogue wheel then I would have gone all renegade on her :-)

Agreed.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 18:42 (3179 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

For some reason, I don't really think the awoken really give a shit about anyone, whether it's a galactic threat or not. If it serves their purposes, then so be it.

I definitely think that's the impression the Queen likes to give off, but she did save the City when she didn't have to (according to the Grimoire).

I'd do a Star Lord and point out

by scarab @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 18:45 (3179 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

that she lives in the galaxy.

Unless she thinks that the Vex are only interested in planets.

I wonder why Dead Orbit aren't talking to her? Maybe she doesn't really like guardians. They are useful attack dogs. Or has she warmed to them?

Cmdr Shepard unifies the races against the reapers!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 11:01 (3180 days ago) @ Durandal

Maybe neither. Maybe she figured her preemptive strike on the House of Wolves worked so well she should do the same to Oryx.

Dear Bungie: Harbingers, please. Thanks.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 15:21 (3180 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

*ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL*

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 16:56 (3179 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

The Taken King We Are Guardians Trailer

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 10:33 (3180 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Yay for giant spike shoulders and googly eyed helmets!

[image]

Seriously, what is with Bungie's fascination with huge spikes on armor? How is a guardian supposed to get in their ship with giant spikes sticking out all over them.

Transmat?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 10:55 (3180 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

A forklift

by Durandal, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 11:25 (3180 days ago) @ bluerunner

Hey, it works for Warhammer 40k :)

Anyway, looks like we are due more fallen themed armor.

As a PS4 player, this makes me laugh.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:51 (3180 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:04 (3180 days ago) @ bluerunner

Not to mentioned, I really don't think those Shoulders will work with my Boeing 747 Helmet. I wouldn't be able to turn my head in worry that my wings and spikes would hit!

That Warlock Helm.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 18:28 (3179 days ago) @ bluerunner

Yay for giant spike shoulders and googly eyed helmets!

[image]

Seriously, what is with Bungie's fascination with huge spikes on armor? How is a guardian supposed to get in their ship with giant spikes sticking out all over them.

I need the brain bucket.

Massive space battles!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 11:18 (3180 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

- No text -

space fight looks awesome

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:31 (3180 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

even if it only ends up as a cinematic. reminds me of the battle over the Halo 3 Ark.

Would be awesome if there was a playable space battle though.

So, will Oryx be the raid boss or the campaign boss? Crota's soul was the "campaign" (if you can call TDB a campaign) boss, but Crota himself was the raid boss. The vault of glass was really a sidebar to the story, with no real effect on the universe (that we've seen yet). while Crota's End is really integral to the Dark Below and TTK.

I'm guessing Oryx will be the Raid boss, so I'm interested in seeing how the campaign will end/be worked into the story ark.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:35 (3180 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

even if it only ends up as a cinematic. reminds me of the battle over the Halo 3 Ark.

I agree.

So, will Oryx be the raid boss or the campaign boss? Crota's soul was the "campaign" (if you can call TDB a campaign) boss, but Crota himself was the raid boss. The vault of glass was really a sidebar to the story, with no real effect on the universe (that we've seen yet). while Crota's End is really integral to the Dark Below and TTK.

I'm guessing Oryx will be the Raid boss, so I'm interested in seeing how the campaign will end/be worked into the story ark.

I'm going to guess that Oryx is going to be the campaign boss. I think there has been way to much hype over him and showing him off to be the main bad guy in the raid. There can be many things to do in the raid. But what would the campaign be if we were going to kill Oryx?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:41 (3180 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

You're right. The raid is called King's Fall.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:47 (3180 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah... But Oryx isn't a King, he is a God. And if I was a God I would be pretty pissed if people were calling me a King.

"The Taken King"

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:49 (3180 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Oryx needs a new PR guy

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:50 (3180 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:51 (3180 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah... But Oryx isn't a King, he is a God. And if I was a God I would be pretty pissed if people were calling me a King.

Um, throughout history Kings have been considered divine. I don't remember anyone complaining about being called both.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:02 (3180 days ago) @ Kermit

Um, throughout history Kings have been considered divine. I don't remember anyone complaining about being called both.

Yeah, but in history they became Kings and then proclaimed themselves Gods. I've just always considered Oryx a God.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:15 (3180 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah, but in history they became Kings and then proclaimed themselves Gods. I've just always considered Oryx a God.

Not really. Divinity was part of the bloodline. Most were born Gods/kings.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:18 (3180 days ago) @ Kermit

Not really. Divinity was part of the bloodline. Most were born Gods/kings.

Yeah... I guess that is true. But it had to start somewhere right? Well, actually not really. I bet if anyone questioned it they could just point to Zeus and say "He did it"

Zeus = The God with the libido of a rabbit.

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 10:24 (3179 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah... I guess that is true. But it had to start somewhere right? Well, actually not really. I bet if anyone questioned it they could just point to Zeus and say "He did it"

Zeus = The God with the libido of a rabbit.

Appropriate to context, not all together appropriate. I have a terrible sense of humor but that's what this made me think of.

CC

[image]

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 18:47 (3179 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I would actually argue that Omnigul is the Campaign Boss. Crota's Soulstone was important to stop, but Omnigul was the keystone to his return.

However, in the same regard that you "kill" Crota twice, and we have seen at least 2 forms of Oryx, what is to say that he is not the Boss of both the Campaign and the Raid? They've done that already with Skolas. You do fight him twice.

Much cutscenes. Such wow.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 14:27 (3180 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

- No text -

I'm so excited...

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 16:37 (3179 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

- No text -

Ugggghh... Love space battles toooo much!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:10 (3179 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Can't. Control. Wallet. Must. Find. Money. And. Buy.

Things I noticed the second time watching

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:10 (3179 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

I found, oddly enough, that the coolest scenes other than the CG Space battles were the times that the Guardians were jumping from one large platform to another. One of those was taken from the Skolas Strike and the other one looked new. Both cases, it really showed off, simply, that guardians are bad asses. It also showed off the beautiful scenery.

Secondly, I noticed that between the Space battle scenes at 2:02, it shows a guardian and his ghost in a space ship. Which looks like a fighter craft. However, it's obviously either a hive ship, or a hybrid because there is very much a hive vibe to the background and when he pushes the "accelerator" it has a little skull at the top of it.

What was that?

Things I noticed the second time watching

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:22 (3179 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I loved the scene with The Crow (the Queen's brother) screaming. I'm hoping to get more of him, he seems like an interesting character.

I loved the shotgun reload at 1:50. Marathon woo!

Around 1:42

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:26 (3179 days ago) @ dogcow

It looks like Guardians are jumping onto the colony ship at the center of the Comodrome!

This has been my wallpaper lately and I kept thinking, "why didn't we explore that?"

Around 1:42, exciting! :)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 18:39 (3179 days ago) @ Leviathan

It looks like Guardians are jumping onto the colony ship at the center of the Comodrome!

This has been my wallpaper lately and I kept thinking, "why didn't we explore that?"

I noticed that too. I'm excited for it. I wonder how we'll get there, over the Sepiks pool, or maybe through the wall some other way?

Around 1:42

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 20:48 (3179 days ago) @ Leviathan

Previous trailer showed combat within one of the colony ship's "habitat spheres." Either against Oryx himself or maybe just a scary Taken Wizard.

Perhaps he's driving the ship from CE

by Durandal, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 00:02 (3179 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I think the scene with Cayde has him working on a ship from the Vault of Glass (normal). It would be cool if your ship interior is based on which ship you have equipped. (PS BUNGIE PLEASE FIX MY FWC and Birth of History Ships)

by Mad_Stylus, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 19:07 (3179 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Oh wow, they're really not half assing it this time.

Wait, antlers?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 03:59 (3179 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

At 1:46. WTF?

[image]

New titan exotic

by Durandal, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 10:00 (3179 days ago) @ Beorn

6x damage from shoulder charge, but take extra damage from automobiles and character must bunny hop everywhere.

LOL. And I only say LOL when I actually LOL.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 10:54 (3179 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

Robert Baratheon?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 11:10 (3179 days ago) @ Beorn

He did use a big ass hammer.

Robert Baratheon?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 06, 2015, 13:17 (3179 days ago) @ cheapLEY

How awesome would that be? A hammer wielding antler wearing titan.

Wait, antlers?

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 11:13 (3179 days ago) @ Beorn

Looks like it might be on a Warlock.

Looks like I am starting Warlock.

[image]

CC

Please be a Warlock helm *IMG*

by TheGhostBrigade, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 11:29 (3179 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

Because then I can shoot lightning while wearing it and my trials shader to feel like this:

[image]

Bonus points if two other Warlocks with similar setups join me. :)

Yeah, it's a Warlock

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, August 07, 2015, 20:10 (3177 days ago) @ TheGhostBrigade

A couple shots later they show a Warlock from the side doing the Palpatine thing while wearing the Giant Amkhara Antlers of Doom.

Wait, antlers?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 13:20 (3179 days ago) @ Beorn

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread