Joining up

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 21:41 (3957 days ago)

Just introducing myself to this community. Been lurking for a while, watching the tone of the conversations, and I'm impressed by the respectfulness and lack of puerility that distinguishes this community. I'm a longtime Bungie fan, but the responsibilities of life keep me from being more active in the community.

That might have to change with the release of Destiny, given its inherent cooperative gameplay. I'm looking to expand my friends list with people like I've seen in this community.

For more about me, see my extremely verbose tribute to a decade of Halo: http://ageofgratitude.com/2011/06/04/broken-silence-oholiab/

Looking forward to new adventures with new friends!

Welcome!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 21:42 (3957 days ago) @ Oholiab

I also remember playing Marathon over AppleTalk. That's when I became a Bungie fanboy.

Welcome, friend

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 21:57 (3957 days ago) @ Oholiab

It's pretty cool around here, as you have already discovered. I am still pleasantly amazed at the respect and maturity this group of people shows, including the goofiness/joking around. And I loved your tribute. If/when I have my own kids, I can't wait to share with them the worlds in books and games that I fell in love with, Bungie's worlds especially. Will your son(s) be joining you in Destiny? Also, I am a bit curious about how you came up with your name.

EDIT: Your name, is it a Biblical reference?

Welcome, friend

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 22:38 (3957 days ago) @ Mr Daax

It's pretty cool around here, as you have already discovered. I am still pleasantly amazed at the respect and maturity this group of people shows, including the goofiness/joking around. And I loved your tribute. If/when I have my own kids, I can't wait to share with them the worlds in books and games that I fell in love with, Bungie's worlds especially. Will your son(s) be joining you in Destiny? Also, I am a bit curious about how you came up with your name.

EDIT: Your name, is it a Biblical reference?

Thanks for the welcome! My name is indeed a Biblical reference: I'm a designer/architect and Oholiab is my hero: gifted by The Lord to design the Tabernacle. See Exodus 31.

I'll definitely preview Destiny for my boys' consumption. They have enjoyed watching all the Vidocs, etc about Destiny, and we get to talk about all the creativity and hard work that goes into a game. I'm excited to have the same experience with my younger son as I've had playing Halo with my older son. Co-op play is a great opportunity for bonding time!

Welcome, friend

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 08:14 (3956 days ago) @ Oholiab

Thanks for the welcome! My name is indeed a Biblical reference: I'm a designer/architect and Oholiab is my hero: gifted by The Lord to design the Tabernacle. See Exodus 31.

Awesome! I'm hoping to get a job as a firefighter in Spokane (or anywhere in the area for that matter) so St Michael is one of my heroes. Fighting fire...fighting the devil.

I'll definitely preview Destiny for my boys' consumption. They have enjoyed watching all the Vidocs, etc about Destiny, and we get to talk about all the creativity and hard work that goes into a game. I'm excited to have the same experience with my younger son as I've had playing Halo with my older son. Co-op play is a great opportunity for bonding time!

I think it's great that you are showing them not only the awesome games, but that there is hard work and incredible talent that goes into those awesome games. I have a new nephew, and hopefully over the next decade I can spend some quality time with him like you have with your boys. Bring a young wolf into the pack :)

Joining up

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 21:59 (3957 days ago) @ Oholiab

Just introducing myself to this community. Been lurking for a while, watching the tone of the conversations, and I'm impressed by the respectfulness and lack of puerility that distinguishes this community. I'm a longtime Bungie fan, but the responsibilities of life keep me from being more active in the community.

That might have to change with the release of Destiny, given its inherent cooperative gameplay. I'm looking to expand my friends list with people like I've seen in this community.

For more about me, see my extremely verbose tribute to a decade of Halo: http://ageofgratitude.com/2011/06/04/broken-silence-oholiab/

Welcome! Stick around, you're in good company - I think there are a couple other Marathon veterans lurking around here that know their way around ancient Apple hardware. :)

(Nice AgeOfGratitude article, I enjoyed reading it.)

Joining up

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 22:39 (3957 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Welcome! Stick around, you're in good company - I think there are a couple other Marathon veterans lurking around here that know their way around ancient Apple hardware. :)

(Nice AgeOfGratitude article, I enjoyed reading it.)

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm enjoying Marathon all over again on my iPad (:

Great to see you here!

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 22:05 (3957 days ago) @ Oholiab

- No text -

Joining up

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 04:44 (3956 days ago) @ Oholiab

Wow - I feel spoiled that I played Marathon over the lab's ethernet, rather than hacking into my phone lines. :)

(On the other hand, that network allowed the HyperArchive NorthWest to exist, so...)

Welcome. There are plenty of grizzled ancients here - but also plenty of young'uns. It's a nice mix. :)

Joining up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 09:32 (3956 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Wow - I feel spoiled that I played Marathon over the lab's ethernet, rather than hacking into my phone lines. :)

(On the other hand, that network allowed the HyperArchive NorthWest to exist, so...)

Welcome. There are plenty of grizzled ancients here - but also plenty of young'uns. It's a nice mix. :)

What's the cutoff for Grizzled ancients here in the bungie.org community? Does downloading stuff in floppy sized chunks from the hyperachive back in the day count? Maybe that explains why I'm so grumpy.

Joining up

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 10:39 (3956 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What's the cutoff for Grizzled ancients here in the bungie.org community? Does downloading stuff in floppy sized chunks from the hyperachive back in the day count? Maybe that explains why I'm so grumpy.

It's not how old your body is - it's how old you FEEL. (You're older than me, I think.)

Joining up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 11:25 (3956 days ago) @ Claude Errera

(You're older than me, I think.)

[image]

Welcome to the Party...

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 04:54 (3956 days ago) @ Oholiab

We're just getting started! :)

Joining up

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 05:38 (3956 days ago) @ Oholiab

Hi Oholiab,

Thoroughly enjoyed your tribute. It mirrored much of my own experience with Bungie. I confess that I resisted the dark side for only a month after the Xbox's launch.

Even though I've been at least lurking in this community for nearly 20 years, it wasn't until a few years ago that I began playing with community members. It's been an enlivening experience to say to the least.

My friends list used to be paltry. Now it's bursting at the seams. There's always room for another grizzled ancient, though. And no worries about skills. My lack of them is legendary.

Kermit7 is my tag. See you starside.

Kermit

Joining up

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 07:56 (3956 days ago) @ Kermit

And no worries about skills. My lack of them is legendary.

I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

Joining up

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 09:19 (3956 days ago) @ Mr Daax

How many times did I accidentally betray you on the last customs night?

Joining up

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 09:24 (3956 days ago) @ bluerunner

How many times did I accidentally betray you on the last customs night?

Hehe, honestly, I was having too much fun to notice. I thought it was my lack of skill that got me killed :)

Joining up

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 08:15 (3956 days ago) @ Kermit

Hi Oholiab,

Thoroughly enjoyed your tribute. It mirrored much of my own experience with Bungie. I confess that I resisted the dark side for only a month after the Xbox's launch.

Even though I've been at least lurking in this community for nearly 20 years, it wasn't until a few years ago that I began playing with community members. It's been an enlivening experience to say to the least.

My friends list used to be paltry. Now it's bursting at the seams. There's always room for another grizzled ancient, though. And no worries about skills. My lack of them is legendary.

Kermit7 is my tag. See you starside.

Kermit

Thanks for the invite! I'm looking forward to playing with some fellow longtime Bungie fans. My gamer tag is... wait for it... Oholiab.

Joining up

by Jillybean, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 13:55 (3956 days ago) @ Oholiab

Just introducing myself to this community. Been lurking for a while, watching the tone of the conversations, and I'm impressed by the respectfulness and lack of puerility that distinguishes this community.

... are you sure you've been watching us?

Haha, have you seen most forums?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 14:04 (3956 days ago) @ Jillybean

- No text -

by Jillybean, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 14:10 (3956 days ago) @ Xenos

No, I have a strict forum abstinence law. It makes my jokes funnier. Being a woman, I need help in that area.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 14:12 (3956 days ago) @ Jillybean

No, I have a strict forum abstinence law. It makes my jokes funnier. Being a woman, I need help in that area.

I also have a strict forum abstinence law, though it's mostly to stop from getting pissed about what random strangers say :)

Welcome, dude!

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 23:12 (3956 days ago) @ Oholiab

I've only been around since '99 but it's awesome to see such a wide range of fans being active in the community now with Bungie working on a new IP and all. Exciting times.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread