Calling all Video Animators. Bounty posted within.

by ncsuDuncan @, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 15:54 (3979 days ago)

[image]

E3 is right around the corner, and a handful of DBO staffers will be there to witness the proceedings. While I won't foolishly promise tons of video coverage, it's quite likely we'll have some sort of camera on hand whenever permissible.

Here's how you can add some class to our community footage: Help us create a title card (e.g. intro animation) for official DBO videos!

• Try to incorporate the DBO logo, if possible. (logo vector file here)
  • You don't have to stick to the colors shown above.
  • Adding text with "DBO" or "Destiny.Bungie.Org" is something to consider, but is optional. I believe the title font used on the front page is Century Gothic.
  • Sound is NOT necessary, though feel free to add sound effects if you wish.
  • If you need an example, this intro was chosen at HBO a few years ago. (I think Hitmonchan planned to use it for HaloFest coverage.)
  • Don't include the E3 logo (or any Bungie trademark) so that we can use this intro for later videos. (e.g. PAX)

If we decide to use something you created, you'll get a free DBO shirt! (Once shirts are available, that is. It should be relatively soon - we've got a design we like and have already started work on a limited test run of shirts. More details to come in a week or two.)

Please keep in mind, this isn't a contest - it's a bounty. That means we could end up going with multiple entries, or none at all. Anyone that creates something we decide to use will get a shirt though.

Technical details:

• Please render all video/animations at 720p or above.
  • Keep it short - roughly 5-10 seconds.
  • Upload your video to YouTube (or any similar video service); if we choose to use it, we'll figure out a way for you to get us the original file.

Tentative Deadline: Monday, June 10th. (Though as soon as you have something worth showing off feel free to post a link to it in this thread. This is a collaboration, not a contest! Sorry for the short notice; hopefully we can get this together before E3 starts, but Monday is not a strict deadline if more time is needed.)

Bonus project: Make a clip with a 3D/extruded version of the DBO logo that we can shrink and put in the corner of a video. (Be sure to use alpha channels for transparency!)

Interesting timing.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 17:10 (3979 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I don't especially consider myself a video editor even if I have technically created animated video files, but I might take a stab at this.

There was something I was planning to post in the next day or two for stupidfunsies, but maybe I'll turn it into some kind of weird DBO intro before I do.

This will be generated with the help of MATLAB (Video editing software? What's that?), it will reference Destiny, and it will align with technical decisions Bungie made when developing Halo 3. It also might wind up looking extremely stupid, but whatever.

Done

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 21:39 (3979 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I think we're done here. I accept PayPal.

Done

by Veegie, Monday, June 03, 2013, 07:29 (3978 days ago) @ Schooly D

Gorgeous.

Was that PowerPoint?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, June 03, 2013, 08:37 (3978 days ago) @ Schooly D

:)

By the power of Grayskull

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 03, 2013, 10:10 (3978 days ago) @ Schooly D
edited by Grizzlei, Monday, June 03, 2013, 10:32

That's it! That's the winner. :)

Done

by Jillybean, Monday, June 03, 2013, 10:26 (3978 days ago) @ Schooly D

What was the . . . thing . . . on the right hand side? As a clan member, I feel out of touch with the clan. This was not brought up at the AGM.

Excellent music choice. 13/10

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Monday, June 03, 2013, 14:24 (3978 days ago) @ Schooly D

I think we're done here. I accept PayPal.

Done

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, June 03, 2013, 17:49 (3978 days ago) @ Schooly D

Yeah, I WAS going to try to whip something up.

...was.

Close.

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 20:27 (3977 days ago) @ Schooly D

I want this, but saying "Schoooly".

Calling all Video Animators. Bounty posted within.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, June 03, 2013, 18:38 (3978 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I feel like any effort against Schooly is futile but...

Riddled with iMovie sound effects, I present:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQCl_jUWEeQ

Sorry, I don't know how to embed.

2nd Best

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 03, 2013, 18:41 (3978 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

Nice!

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 20:19 (3977 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

Someone should use 2001's opening as inspiration...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, June 03, 2013, 19:15 (3978 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

Well crap

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 12:02 (3977 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

[image]

E3 is right around the corner, and a handful of DBO staffers will be there to witness the proceedings. While I won't foolishly promise tons of video coverage, it's quite likely we'll have some sort of camera on hand whenever permissible.

Here's how you can add some class to our community footage: Help us create a title card (e.g. intro animation) for official DBO videos!

• Try to incorporate the DBO logo, if possible. (logo vector file here)
  • You don't have to stick to the colors shown above.
  • Adding text with "DBO" or "Destiny.Bungie.Org" is something to consider, but is optional. I believe the title font used on the front page is Century Gothic.
  • Sound is NOT necessary, though feel free to add sound effects if you wish.
  • If you need an example, this intro was chosen at HBO a few years ago. (I think Hitmonchan planned to use it for HaloFest coverage.)
  • Don't include the E3 logo (or any Bungie trademark) so that we can use this intro for later videos. (e.g. PAX)

If we decide to use something you created, you'll get a free DBO shirt! (Once shirts are available, that is. It should be relatively soon - we've got a design we like and have already started work on a limited test run of shirts. More details to come in a week or two.)

Please keep in mind, this isn't a contest - it's a bounty. That means we could end up going with multiple entries, or none at all. Anyone that creates something we decide to use will get a shirt though.

Technical details:

• Please render all video/animations at 720p or above.
  • Keep it short - roughly 5-10 seconds.
  • Upload your video to YouTube (or any similar video service); if we choose to use it, we'll figure out a way for you to get us the original file.

Tentative Deadline: Monday, June 10th. (Though as soon as you have something worth showing off feel free to post a link to it in this thread. This is a collaboration, not a contest! Sorry for the short notice; hopefully we can get this together before E3 starts, but Monday is not a strict deadline if more time is needed.)

Bonus project: Make a clip with a 3D/extruded version of the DBO logo that we can shrink and put in the corner of a video. (Be sure to use alpha channels for transparency!)

I'd love to do this but I'm about to go on a weeklong vacation and won't be back until the 11th. I'm pretty sure I could bang out something soon after that, though.

here's something at least

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 16:04 (3977 days ago) @ davidfuchs
edited by davidfuchs, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 16:13

Crap, I just realized that E3 starts earlier than I thought and thus it wouldn't be much use. Here's what I could get done in less than an hour during my lunch break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SGKzZHdYhg&feature=player_embedded

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 16:14 (3977 days ago) @ davidfuchs

Awesome!

Needs more contrast, though. Can't really make out the D that well.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 17:03 (3977 days ago) @ Kermit

Awesome!

Needs more contrast, though. Can't really make out the D that well.

So you're saying you need more D?

Rofl.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 16:21 (3977 days ago) @ davidfuchs

That's very similar to what I'm doing, and even includes a similar fade to logo over traveller, though mine is much simpler in visual composition. I *should* have it posted tomorrow.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 16:37 (3977 days ago) @ davidfuchs

That's pretty slick. What tools did you use? I notice a decent amount of 3D business up in there.

Also, only an hour?! I must be doing something wrong…

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 17:17 (3977 days ago) @ Beorn

That's pretty slick. What tools did you use? I notice a decent amount of 3D business up in there.

Also, only an hour?! I must be doing something wrong…

Well, motion graphics are my job, so it pays to bust things out quickly :)

It's all stock After Effects with two third-party plugins (Optical Flares and Starglow). The camera move needs work, and the moon moves away awkwardly, but I didn't have much time to finesse the keyframes. That's where the bulk of the time goes, at least for me.

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 20:19 (3977 days ago) @ davidfuchs

Crap, I just realized that E3 starts earlier than I thought and thus it wouldn't be much use. Here's what I could get done in less than an hour during my lunch break.

Well there's always a chance we won't have video ready to post right on the 10th (depending on if/when we record something worth sharing and find the time to edit and upload it) so be sure to check this thread after you're back from your vacation!

(Also, that clip you posted looks great - if you can find a way to get that file, I'd love to have it on hand in case we decide to go with this one and you're not back yet.)

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 15:41 (3976 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Well there's always a chance we won't have video ready to post right on the 10th (depending on if/when we record something worth sharing and find the time to edit and upload it) so be sure to check this thread after you're back from your vacation!

(Also, that clip you posted looks great - if you can find a way to get that file, I'd love to have it on hand in case we decide to go with this one and you're not back yet.)

You'd have to rip it from YouTube. I didn't have time before my flight to upload a better version, can do so Monday evening EST.

by ncsuDuncan @, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 21:19 (3976 days ago) @ davidfuchs

You'd have to rip it from YouTube. I didn't have time before my flight to upload a better version, can do so Monday evening EST.

Ah, no worries. Have a good trip! Check back on Monday and see if we've picked an intro yet, I think that evening would be the absolute earliest we could (possibly) have something to post anyways. :)

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Monday, June 10, 2013, 17:53 (3971 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Ah, no worries. Have a good trip! Check back on Monday and see if we've picked an intro yet, I think that evening would be the absolute earliest we could (possibly) have something to post anyways. :)

If you need them, here's a high quality 1080p29.97/h264 and a QT-wrapped Uncompressed copy on mediafire.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z01bg6wgbqrw0wg/DBO_Open_ANIM_1080p.mov
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wc8fytkzu729ywn/DBO_Open_h264_1080p.mov

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 15:15 (3966 days ago) @ davidfuchs

If you need them, here's a high quality 1080p29.97/h264 and a QT-wrapped Uncompressed copy on mediafire.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z01bg6wgbqrw0wg/DBO_Open_ANIM_1080p.mov
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wc8fytkzu729ywn/DBO_Open_h264_1080p.mov

Awesome, thanks!

(Yes, we're just now getting around to putting together E3 video. My previous deadline estimate was... ambitious.)

Spherical Harmonic Traveller!

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 22:21 (3976 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

So, I was giving a presentation on spherical harmonic lighting. Pretty much what Halo 3 uses for its baked lighting maps, although I was demonstrating a less sophisticated variant.

Anyway, I noticed that some of my renders looked travellerish.

[image]

It was clear what I had to do.

the traveler to logo fades look great.

by Cold, Thursday, June 06, 2013, 09:51 (3975 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

My Submission

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 22:46 (3973 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Oooh that's good!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 23:27 (3973 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Thanks!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, June 09, 2013, 07:25 (3972 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

My Submission

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, June 09, 2013, 07:24 (3972 days ago) @ breitzen

Nice -- did you try making the text white? I find it a little hard to read as-is.

My Submission

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, June 09, 2013, 07:26 (3972 days ago) @ Beorn
edited by breitzen, Sunday, June 09, 2013, 07:58

I had not, I'll pull it up and take a look!

Edit: So I tried white and it doesn't make it any more readable at all. However I made it a solid back (It was a gradient), turned down the opacity just a hair, and gave it a white glow. I think its much more readable without looking like its popping out at you.

These are all great.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, June 09, 2013, 19:43 (3972 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I'm leaning towards David's, with breitzen's not far behind.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread