Friday already solved?!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, February 15, 2013, 10:21 (4087 days ago)

Friday already solved?!

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Friday, February 15, 2013, 10:30 (4087 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

So just about every planet in the solar system is habitable now, or at least on its way. Dang.

My question is, will Destiny go beyond our solar system? It would seem weird for it not to, but our whole focus has been on our local system so far.

Friday already solved?!

by TheGhostBrigade, Friday, February 15, 2013, 15:40 (4086 days ago) @ Postmortem

So just about every planet in the solar system is habitable now, or at least on its way. Dang.

My question is, will Destiny go beyond our solar system? It would seem weird for it not to, but our whole focus has been on our local system so far.

Perhaps FTL is impossible in Destiny, thus the focus on creating habitable planets within our own solar system.

FTL seems likely to me

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, February 15, 2013, 15:53 (4086 days ago) @ TheGhostBrigade
edited by Xenos, Friday, February 15, 2013, 15:58

Perhaps FTL is impossible in Destiny, thus the focus on creating habitable planets within our own solar system.

I think FTL must be possible since the Traveler and the foreign forces had to come from somewhere, but maybe that's not one of the things the Traveler has bestowed upon mankind.

It could have, you know, just plain traveled. :p *NM*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, February 15, 2013, 15:57 (4086 days ago) @ Xenos

FTL seems likely to me

by TheGhostBrigade, Friday, February 15, 2013, 23:58 (4086 days ago) @ Xenos

I think FTL must be possible since the Traveler and the foreign forces had to come from somewhere, but maybe that's not one of the things the Traveler has bestowed upon mankind.

It's possible FTL exists, but humanity no longer has the technology for it. Recently I like Sci-Fi that doesn't include FTL. Makes humanities attempts to colonize/contact that much more.. excruciatingly difficult. And it also forces us to clean up our act here, since we can't just skip along to the next Solar System when overpopulation or extreme environmental degradation become an issue.

FTL seems likely to me

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 02:27 (4086 days ago) @ TheGhostBrigade

Recently I like Sci-Fi that doesn't include FTL. Makes humanities attempts to colonize/contact that much more.. excruciatingly difficult. And it also forces us to clean up our act here, since we can't just skip along to the next Solar System when overpopulation or extreme environmental degradation become an issue.

Oh I completely agree, I just think it'd be strange to have aliens that traveled to us without FTL since that would mean they were traveling for a VERY long time. And given Traveler's size, we would see it coming a long ways away.

Friday already solved?!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, February 15, 2013, 15:56 (4086 days ago) @ TheGhostBrigade

That would be cool. Many scifi universes move too fast. One morning you're defending one race's homeworld from a robot attack, that evening you're on the capital planet with the supreme leader of the bad guys throwing chairs back and forth at each other. It kills any opportunity for storytelling because *blam* the enemy fleet is here, time for another action scene.

Friday already solved?!

by MrGreencastle, Friday, February 15, 2013, 16:27 (4086 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yeah, that's why I always enjoyed Firefly as there was no FTL, and the whole universe was basically one solar system, although with maybe a few extra stars orbiting the largest one. It took weeks or months for ships to fly from one planet to the next. Looks like Destiny seems to be following suit. Perhaps we will explore alien worlds, yes, but it's looking like those alien worlds are our own worlds, like Venus, Mars, Mercury, etc, that we inhabited in the past at some point. Ruins of our Golden Age, etc. Of course, first we must explore the ruins of Earth!

[image]

Friday already solved?!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 15, 2013, 23:03 (4086 days ago) @ MrGreencastle

Oh man. Just when I think I couldn't possibly be more excited about Destiny, you have to go and suggest a similarity to Firefly.

Friday already solved?!

by MrGreencastle, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 02:58 (4086 days ago) @ stabbim

My bad! It's just something that I've always appreciated. FTL is cheating!

Friday already solved?!

by TheGhostBrigade, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 00:00 (4086 days ago) @ MrGreencastle

Yeah, that's why I always enjoyed Firefly as there was no FTL, and the whole universe was basically one solar system, although with maybe a few extra stars orbiting the largest one. It took weeks or months for ships to fly from one planet to the next. Looks like Destiny seems to be following suit. Perhaps we will explore alien worlds, yes, but it's looking like those alien worlds are our own worlds, like Venus, Mars, Mercury, etc, that we inhabited in the past at some point. Ruins of our Golden Age, etc. Of course, first we must explore the ruins of Earth!

[image]

Is there a larger version of that image? I only just recently watched Firefly/Serenity for the first time and I'm heartily obsessed. :)

Friday already solved?!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 01:43 (4086 days ago) @ TheGhostBrigade

I only just recently watched Firefly/Serenity for the first time and I'm heartily obsessed. :)

Welcome to the ranks of the browncoats. Make sure to pick a fight on unification day.

Friday already solved?!

by MrGreencastle, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 02:56 (4086 days ago) @ TheGhostBrigade

Sadly, none that I've been able to find :(

Friday already solved?!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 08:50 (4086 days ago) @ MrGreencastle

Sadly, none that I've been able to find :(

Yeah, the pretty version looks like it has to be bought (or "obtained") but there is this made by the same people showing all the data that went into the pretty version.

Friday already solved?!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, February 15, 2013, 17:03 (4086 days ago) @ Postmortem

I'm always reminded of a quote from Jason Jones about the chapter title from Halo "Gun pointed at the head of the universe" He didn't like the hyperbole of the universe, the galaxy was always big enough for him.

Maybe this is an extrapolation of that, in modern sci-fi games you go to many planets and barely explore them before jetting to the next one.

Maybe it will be about a solar system at war, battle waged from territory to territory, land mass to land mass, planet to planet.

Maybe it will be about exploring the nature of our home system and why humanity was bestowed the Earth.

Friday already solved?!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 15, 2013, 23:09 (4086 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I actually really like this concept of being limited to the Sol system.

And if we examine this whole idea of Destiny operating at a scale never seen before, possibly being able to actually travel planet-to-planet in one shot without just magically transporting there and that sort of thing, it would make sense to limit it to just the solar system. Having that sort of gameplay at galaxy scale would be TOO big, really.

Friday already solved?!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, February 15, 2013, 10:52 (4087 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

http://www.bungie.net/en-us/View/community/Forum/Post?id=59822028&path=1

http://alphalupi.bungie.net/010258608004307500961392069234939781476.jpg

That was quick!

That was indeed quick! Is there a good archive of the (mostly) solved transform images? I've seen a few half-visible ones scattered around, but I haven't seen every day's complete images in one place...

Then again, I'm working around the clock and have only been able to attempt loading the site on the hour to help increase the activity, so I've probably missed the obvious links. :\

Friday already solved?!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 15, 2013, 11:41 (4087 days ago) @ Beorn

Misriah Solutions has a good composite here. It doesn't include Friday's image yet.

This is the page I got it from. I imagine an updated composite will be posted soon.

Friday already solved?!

by eek ⌂ @, Friday, February 15, 2013, 11:43 (4087 days ago) @ Beorn

http://www.bungie.net/en-us/View/community/Forum/Post?id=59822028&path=1

http://alphalupi.bungie.net/010258608004307500961392069234939781476.jpg

That was quick!

That was indeed quick! Is there a good archive of the (mostly) solved transform images? I've seen a few half-visible ones scattered around, but I haven't seen every day's complete images in one place...

Then again, I'm working around the clock and have only been able to attempt loading the site on the hour to help increase the activity, so I've probably missed the obvious links. :\

This page continues to be updated with them. It's got Mon - Thur right now, but Friday's is here. :)

Friday image and transcription

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, February 15, 2013, 11:57 (4087 days ago) @ MrPadraig08
edited by Xenos, Friday, February 15, 2013, 12:21

[image]

Transcription:

You see history hidden between the
barren rocks and within the high acid
clouds. You see ruin emerging from
where it has always been, ready to claim
its birthright.

Sunlight is starved. The fierceness is
chilled and thinned, made sweet again. A
new ocean emerges, thick and salty and
hot, from springs and geysers that drench
the dead ground.

You wonder: will this world's second birth
be its finest? You draw deep inside,
seeking direction, truth...

But all you have are the riddles of your
own intentions.

More (not so) crazy speculation.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Friday, February 15, 2013, 16:10 (4086 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]

Transcription:

You see history hidden between the
barren rocks and within the high acid
clouds. You see ruin emerging from
where it has always been, ready to claim
its birthright.

Sunlight is starved. The fierceness is
chilled and thinned, made sweet again. A
new ocean emerges, thick and salty and
the dead ground.

You wonder: will this world's second birth
be its finest? You draw deep inside,
seeking direction, truth...

But all you have are the riddles of your
own intentions.

Man, I am really wondering if Mercury and Venus were colonized by some other species before humanity.

It kinda sounds like on Venus there was some sort of dig going on as well as the terraforming.

I know "You draw deep inside" might mean "Deep inside yourself", but maybe it means something else. Like searching for lost and/or alien knowledge to draw upon? It sure would put an interesting spin on that last sentence.

More (not so) crazy speculation.

by MrGreencastle, Friday, February 15, 2013, 17:24 (4086 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

I had considered for a while that the Traveler had been responsible for sort of "encouraging" or seeding life or great technological advancement on each of the planets in our solar system at one point in time. It has now returned and is wondering just what the happened to all its plans. Perhaps the "time is now" that it is referring to is a sort of, bear with me here, "time flattening", where all the past civilizations (and in time) that it was responsible for are going to be merged, so that we can all be tested against each other.

Crazy thoughts, anyway.

Friday image and transcription

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Friday, February 15, 2013, 18:42 (4086 days ago) @ Xenos

The case for terraforming is getting very strong with the Venus story; Venus has been a favourite for talking terraforming since the '70s, and there's a lot of that discussion embedded here if I'm reading the tea-leaves right.

Sunlight is starved.

Venus is hot enough to melt lead thanks to runaway greenhouse gases. One way to cool it off would be to shield it from the Sunlight that's heating it up.

The fierceness is
chilled and thinned, made sweet again.

Venus's atmosphere is pretty stormy with all that heat energy bound up in it, and it's immensely thicker than the Earth's. Thinning out the carbon dioxide would be an essential step to making the surface habitable. There's also a lot of sulfur in Venus's clouds; in petroleum jargon the presense of sulfur in oil makes it "sour" and the absence makes it "sweet". (Also, sulfur combines with water in the clouds to make sulfuric acid which, if you drank it, would taste sour for the few minutes it took to kill you.)

A new ocean emerges, thick and salty and
the dead ground.

Dunno if this would be supported by the geophysics guys, but I suppose there could be underground water reserves on Venus... I sort-of assumed, though, that the bulk of any terraformed Venus's oceans would be formed by all the excess oxygen that'd be left over once you take the carbon out of the atmosphere. Bring in enough hydrogen and voila H2O.

-- Steve can't wait to see if this pans out.

Friday already solved?!

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Friday, February 15, 2013, 12:21 (4087 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

The community is really on top of this.

Sí *NM*

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Friday, February 15, 2013, 14:47 (4087 days ago) @ biggy

Indeed! Here's today's summary and nifty images

by Avateur @, Friday, February 15, 2013, 17:11 (4086 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread