Sunday night PS4 raider boss 2 thoughts. *SP* (/-/ Rampant Speculation /-/)

by slycrel ⌂, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 17:18 (3138 days ago)

I wanted to do this Friday night, but was too wasted to think straight. Here are some thoughts that may or may not be helpful for the boss fight. Other suggestions and thoughts a would be welcome from the group.

1. To start things off, we shoot one of the crystal orbs. We see that the goo gets eaten via his back, his soft spot, which is also where lots of damage can happen. The big thing for me here is that his back is where he eats the goo.

2. At certain points it says his hunger has been satisfied. I don't know whether that is good or bad, but I suspect that if someone has drawn aggro hard, this will make him calm down.

3. I think to "feed" him, we need to shoot the crystal that is above where he is standing.

4. Adds seem to be a huge problem. We will likely need 2 people on those just to keep them off of everyone.

5. You only get 6 deaths, then we all go blind. The runes go up when someone dies, not when they are rezzed. I suspect that there's a way to remove these stacked runes, maybe feeding him. Or they may go back down over time. They are important tho.

6. I suspect drawing aggro is important at certain parts of this encounter. I was able to do this by shooting him and sticking a grenade to him. When this happens he tosses a bunch of those shootable balls at you. At least 6 or 8 within a few seconds. I survived once, died 2-3 other times to this.

6. The major acolytes, when killed, send out a buff to the regular acolytes that turn them into mini-ogres. This should be avoided, it can kill you fast.

7. Damage. Cyber mentioned he got 60k on a sniper shot to the back. My 298 scout rifle was hitting for about 7500, I could reliably get 3 hits in before he closed up. I don't think he always aggroed after this, but he did at least once.

8. DogCow mentioned that one of the crystals turned red periodically. I never saw this, but there may be something there.

9. Cursed thrall. There are a bunch wandering down in the pit near him. I wonder if there is some overlap between the mechanics here and the court of oryx where you have to get cursed thrall to hit the boss to bring his shields down.

10. IIRC the score screen shows the number of kills, count of drawn aggro, and total damage. I'm sure there are some key metrics here we need to be paying attention to.

11. Staying up near the front seems the safest -- most of the mobs come from the middle and back.

I am on the fence that we actually need to kill this guy. This may be the case of "big numbers are fun" and we need to do mega damage. Or it could be that the point isn't to kill him, it's to control him somehow. It sure would be cool to see him go after the adds.

Sunday night PS4 raider boss 2 thoughts. *SP*

by TheeChaos @, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 18:33 (3138 days ago) @ slycrel
edited by TheeChaos, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 19:26

What I found was that shooting him in the back gives you that aggro buff for so many seconds. But I could never get it more than once. Maybe it's like the rune door before war priest where you can't get it 2 times in a row

Edit:

I was out earlier and on my phone thats why it was short. basically I got an aggro buff when I shot him in the back, just once. Then he turned and started blasting me. I think the buff was like 10 seconds. BUT after it ran out, I could never get it back. So either one of you had it or you cant get it 2 times in a row.

Sunday night PS4 raider boss 2 thoughts. *SP*

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, September 21, 2015, 13:01 (3137 days ago) @ slycrel

6. The major acolytes, when killed, send out a buff to the regular acolytes that turn them into mini-ogres. This should be avoided, it can kill you fast.

THIS! It would be helpful, although Cody, Cruel, & I were able to kill all 3 fast enough that the mini-ogre-acolytes didn't get much of an opportunity to kill us.

7. Damage. Cyber mentioned he got 60k on a sniper shot to the back. My 298 scout rifle was hitting for about 7500, I could reliably get 3 hits in before he closed up. I don't think he always aggroed after this, but he did at least once.

Thinking about it I should have hit him with more than one sniper shot to pull his aggro.

8. DogCow mentioned that one of the crystals turned red periodically. I never saw this, but there may be something there.

Did we ever figure anything out about that? We noticed that one time he closed up was after we took down the one that was glowing red (really, it's more of an orange... but yeah).

Remind me to tell you why it turns red, you'll laugh. =)

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, September 21, 2015, 13:38 (3137 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Ok, now I HAVE to know :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, September 21, 2015, 13:52 (3137 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

DogCow doesn't believe me. I'll let him tell you. =)

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, September 21, 2015, 16:30 (3137 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, September 21, 2015, 17:10 (3137 days ago) @ slycrel

DogCow:
why’s it turn red?

Slycrel:
It’s your radar overlapping the bubble.  I saw it happen that last time we did the fight.  It does make it look like it’s turning red.

DogCow:
… I’m not convinced. Pretty sure it was red while I was aiming at it.
er, orange.
but you could very well be right.

Slycrel:
Yeah, dunno.  I was watching for it and I thought I saw it once — but it was jsut my radar.
so who knows.

So, to better describe what I saw: The little blob inside the glass orb turns orangish with an outline (similar to how an enemy who killed you is red with an outline).

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, September 21, 2015, 20:42 (3137 days ago) @ dogcow

Could also be a Scope that highlights weakened targets. Has a very similar visual effect to what you're describing.

Ha, I think I know the answer to this one

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, September 21, 2015, 15:30 (3137 days ago) @ slycrel

We must have similar gear...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread