Destiny Gameplay Reveal Discussion

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, June 10, 2013, 19:49 (3972 days ago)
edited by Stephen Laughlin, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:14

So this is it. It's happening, right? My connection is giving me about half a second of footage every minute but I'll check it out when the smoke clears.

WHAT'S GOING ON?!

Well, until I'm able to watch it later I guess I'll just ask: how'd you like it?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:00 (3972 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

So this is it. It's happening, right? My connection is giving me about half a second of footage every minute but I'll check it out when the smoke clears.

WHAT'S GOING ON?!

I'm getting less and less excited the more I see :-(

I really enjoyed it

by Avateur @, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:02 (3972 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And I'd say I'm just about entirely sold on the PS4, whereas I have just about no desire to even consider purchasing an Xbox One. But then maybe Bungie will announce on PC. And oh shit that price point for the PS4. Game over.

I really enjoyed it

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:05 (3972 days ago) @ Avateur

And I'd say I'm just about entirely sold on the PS4, whereas I have just about no desire to even consider purchasing an Xbox One. But then maybe Bungie will announce on PC. And oh shit that price point for the PS4. Game over.

Yep.

Well.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:08 (3972 days ago) @ Kermit

Looks like the Xbone got Xboned!

Thirded

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:17 (3972 days ago) @ Avateur

It is sad that a $400 price tag and merely not having insipid ideas about ownership and internet availability makes it fantastic in comparison.

Thirded

by Avateur @, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:19 (3972 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

That and a lot of those games looked absolutely awesome. And oh my gosh they actually showed games. And oh my gosh they used actual engines in the PS4 to show games. Microsoft did a whole lot of not that.

Thirded

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:23 (3972 days ago) @ Avateur

Oh, I haven't been paying attention to Xbox Worst-Thing-They-Could-Have-Chosen-To-Tack-Onto-The-End ever since the whole used games thing. I was assuming it was exaggeration; apparently not. But if they didn't show off games at the reveal of their machine-for-games, then they seem to have failed on a very basic level.

Things can definitely change...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:27 (3971 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

It is sad that a $400 price tag and merely not having insipid ideas about ownership and internet availability makes it fantastic in comparison.

...and there's no real point to pre-order anytime soon... or ever... but right now, I'm leaning towards the PS4.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:03 (3972 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm getting less and less excited the more I see :-(

I'm getting more and more excited the more I see. :-)

by corporatekiller, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:06 (3972 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't think anyone is surprised that you don't like it Cody Miller.

I for one thought it looked pretty great. I definitely noticed some familiar elements. The "public event" felt kinda like firefight, and the dungeon crawling felt right at home too.

I'm curious to see what is meant by "long term exclusive partnership".

And I want one of those revolvers.

by Oz Mills, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 03:21 (3971 days ago) @ Cody Miller

At what point does your apathy and (what feels like) enforced loathing exceed your willingness to stick around for the community?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:22 (3971 days ago) @ Oz Mills

At what point does your apathy and (what feels like) enforced loathing exceed your willingness to stick around for the community?

Probably when the game comes out.

I am more excited than I was before the demo

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:04 (3972 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

It looks beautiful, the game looks fun, and the shooting looks up to Bungie standards.

I am more excited than I was before the demo

by Mr Danger, Scotland, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:13 (3972 days ago) @ Xenos

It looks beautiful, the game looks fun, and the shooting looks up to Bungie standards.

Apart from the pretty boring bullet-sponge tank battle at the very end the gameplay looked ace, and all the shared world stuff was very slick, from having people join via a dropship to the big "public event" just happening in game. There is so much potential with that side of things!

Hype levels: unchanged

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:09 (3972 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Most of the reveal was pretty meh, nothing that hasn't already been revealed or inferred. It looked like a re-skinned Borderlands. The "Public Event" thing was the only real standout -- I'd definitely like to learn more about that.

Hype levels: Hella'

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:22 (3972 days ago) @ Schooly D

Man, the fluidity of the drop-in/drop-out mixed with the changing encounters and DAT LIGHTING SYSTEM!

Definitely really cool stuff!

A few questions!

- Was it running on the PS4?
- Will all guns have skill trees?
- When will there be information on any competitive multiplayer that may (or may not be) present?

I'm DAMN impressed. Good show, Bungie.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:31 (3971 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

DAT LIGHTING SYSTEM!

Couldn't have said it better

by Monochron, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:39 (3971 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

Man, the fluidity of the drop-in/drop-out mixed with the changing encounters

That first drop-in had to be scripted though, with that fade after Jones joined. The next drop in was pretty unnoticeable though.

I honestly think PS hyped it a little too much. I went in expecting little more than cool looking game play, but Sony made kind of a big deal about it. There were no surprises except for the floating AI which, while I like it, isn't too crazy.

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:58 (3971 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

Man, the fluidity of the drop-in/drop-out mixed with the changing encounters and DAT LIGHTING SYSTEM!

Definitely really cool stuff!

A few questions!

- Was it running on the PS4?
- Will all guns have skill trees?
- When will there be information on any competitive multiplayer that may (or may not be) present?

As you said, the lighting system looks amazing. Also, the scale and draw distance look mighty impressive. Looks like an absolutely beautiful game. I think it's gonna be a blast to play with friends too.

My only concern at this point is the competitive multiplayer. I'm not sure how I'm gonna like it if the weapon leveling/skill tree stuff is implemented into MP.

- CC

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:36 (3971 days ago) @ CaneCutter

My only concern at this point is the competitive multiplayer. I'm not sure how I'm gonna like it if the weapon leveling/skill tree stuff is implemented into MP.

- CC

I always imagined they could have an arena type mode where you just fight each other with standardized weapons and abilities. Could be easily justified fictionally as VR used for training or duels of honor.

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:43 (3971 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

I always imagined they could have an arena type mode where you just fight each other with standardized weapons and abilities. Could be easily justified fictionally as VR used for training or duels of honor.

Yeah, I'm sure they can justify it just fine. But for me, it won't break my immersion in campaign/canon if they don't. I am just fine with it being completely separate and existing outside of canon.

- CC

by corporatekiller, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:11 (3972 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

"Glimmer" Is the name for the traveler-magic.

Infinite ammo?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:12 (3972 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Dat lighting. And I love the guns. Big and blue and covered in lightning is right up my alley. And it looked like large scale firefight. I loved firefight, so I think it's great. It looked very Halo-y, but that's not a bad thing. Overall I think the little snippet we saw looks like a lot of fun, and makes me look forward to DBO meetup nights.

My thoughts.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:28 (3971 days ago) @ bluerunner

At the very least - I find the world they have created, even if it is just a glimpse, interesting. +5 Sightseeing Skill.

I have not played borderlands - I wanted to but never got around to it. I think if Bungie is going to push it up to twelve after starving us so long - we need more meat. Ill admit the morsel was sweet but it did not satisfy. And with all the other potential open world offerings why should I give my money to Bungie? (I asked this very question a few hours ago - still unsolved sadly. Though I suppose it was abit naive of me to think they would show so much.)

Also - don't know why, but that dude in the mask - I don't like 'im. Again - I don't know why.

(Bungie Link)

Loved it! Here were my thoughts as I watched.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:22 (3972 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Copied from my Twitter feed:

-Bungie, you say? Oh, are they working on something?

-DeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeSTINY.

-Oh, I've you missed you Bungie art direction.

-In-game engine!

-And then Master Chief hops off the Pelican... er... I mean...

-Joe Staten! YESS. His voice is connected to so many awesome announcements!

-... and everybody gets their own Guilty Spark this time.

-That revolver's a beaut.

-Whoah... the "Archon Slayer" is badass.

-"Shut up and get behind me". :) Damn, these graphics.

-Bungie always has such awesome things that go up into the sky in the background.

-Giant co-operative battles! It's like Firefight x30.

-Well, that was awesome. Can't wait to play it. I've missed the Bungie style. It's like seeing an old friend again!

-Unless Microsoft reverses their stances on things, looks like Sony's the path towards my Destiny. Still waiting for that Dreamcast 2 though.

-----More thoughts----

-Love that I get to drop out of my spaceship when I show up on the battlefield.
-The graphics were really impressive when those lights started to turn on in the first combat zone.
-Man, I can't wait to zoom around on a speeder bike and explore the wild.
-The blue Awoken(?) guy sounds sweet. I'm thinking my character might go that route!
-Can't wait to name my own guns.

Sound design and open worlds

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 02:29 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

-Oh, I've you missed you Bungie art direction.

-Bungie always has such awesome things that go up into the sky in the background.

-The graphics were really impressive when those lights started to turn on in the first combat zone.

Oh, yeah. I loved the art direction and atmosphere, and not only visually. The first thing I noticed right at the beginning was the sound of the crows and wind in the distance. The ship's engines as it powers overhead. The sound of running water as the duo walked through the entrance, then the quiet whirring of machinery from within the wall and the echoing of gunfire through that large chamber. I'm a huge fan of PC RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Morrowind and the like that throw you into these expansive worlds filled with strange sights and sounds, then just let you explore at your leisure.

I really hope the world is as open as it looks, and it's not always just a *Choose level -> Fast-travel drop in front of dungeon entrance* sort of thing. I'd like to go meandering down that wall or out into the wilderness over those hills with some friends, just for the sake of exploring, listening to the bees and birds, occasionally coming up on an unexpected encampment of some deadly looking foes, formulating an awesome plan of attack with your buds that falls apart as soon as one guy just rushes in and everyone's just guns blazing until silence falls again and you all head off toward another cool looking spot on the horizon, you know what I mean?

I'm still not sure if Destiny is precisely that type of game. The gameplay in the trailer looked like a lot of fun but I think I need to see a bit more. Also, I guess I have bad memories of going from the wide open environment of the Macworld trailer to the relative linearity of Halo post-Microsoft-buyout (how awesome it turned out to be, notwithstanding). Though I don't know exactly how to frame my expectations yet, I can't wait to go exploring.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:33 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I'm trying to temper my expectations, but I definitely agree, I'd love to go exploring outside that wall we saw and follow the river up somewhere. I really hope the maps are huge with lots of nooks and crannies full of nothing but immersion. :)

With these Pikes and other vehicles seeming to be readily available, it almost seems like the areas would have to be huge and open to accommodate them (and make them meaningful).

This screenshot makes me hopeful:

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:24 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'm trying to temper my expectations, but I definitely agree, I'd love to go exploring outside that wall we saw and follow the river up somewhere. I really hope the maps are huge with lots of nooks and crannies full of nothing but immersion. :)

With these Pikes and other vehicles seeming to be readily available, it almost seems like the areas would have to be huge and open to accommodate them (and make them meaningful).

[image]

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:26 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

They are apparently letting some of the press play the demo, so I imagine that's why it looks so linear. I'm hoping in the closer to final incarnation it's just wide open.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 13:59 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I'm still not sure if Destiny is precisely that type of game. The gameplay in the trailer looked like a lot of fun but I think I need to see a bit more. Also, I guess I have bad memories of going from the wide open environment of the Macworld trailer to the relative linearity of Halo post-Microsoft-buyout (how awesome it turned out to be, notwithstanding).

I felt the same way, but I have a feeling that Halo was better for it. It looks to me like Destiny is giving Bungie a chance to re-visit some old ideas that just weren't possible before.

by jazo, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:24 (3972 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I'll just say this:

I've never owned a Sony device but considering Microsoft's new policies and pricing, I'll be getting Destiny on PS4.

As per Destiny itself, if they can add a tight competitive multiplayer (I don't care if it fits into the canon of the world) this game is going to be fairly groundbreaking (IMHO).

The detail in the world and lighting engine is wildly good looking and I'd imagine they have that level of polish in every environment. Halo certainly had some recycled bits but for Destiny it seems like they are going for the sprawling individual planetary theme which should provide a lot of variety.

Combat seems engaging and I like how tossing spells looks to be like a grenade throw. Also we do have the potential for space travel and combat right?? The players were dropped off by their ships and if we had the ability to be the ones flying to the planets (not some load screen), the immersion factor would be huge.

Overall I'm impressed and pumped for their new creation to finally get some exposure and I'm sure Microsoft's feels were hurt possibly the most by seeing a company they let get away from them (for reasons we still do not even know but it seems like Bungie partnering with Sony on this reveal is telling) unveil their new game for PS4. Destiny will sell big on all consoles but once again, I'm getting it on PS4 for the pricing alone so bonus content for Destiny is certainly a plus.

BTW Bungie's plan for World Domination gets a boost here for successfully sprawling across all video game entertainment systems now in a commanding fashion. On top of all the great stuff Sony had to show, they went with Bungie to close it out.

Will my Destiny 360 character transfer to PS4?

by Avateur @, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:26 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Because I'm thinking I'll definitely have it for the 360, most likely waiting to get the PS4 for a time. And then I'll definitely be getting Destiny for the new console. So, is Bungie in control of the character and the traits and all of that, or am I back in restart mode if I switch to a new console (not owned by Microsoft, or even potentially owned by Microsoft for people who go the 360 -> Xbox One route.

Will my Destiny 360 character transfer to PS4?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:32 (3971 days ago) @ Avateur

Because I'm thinking I'll definitely have it for the 360, most likely waiting to get the PS4 for a time. And then I'll definitely be getting Destiny for the new console. So, is Bungie in control of the character and the traits and all of that, or am I back in restart mode if I switch to a new console (not owned by Microsoft, or even potentially owned by Microsoft for people who go the 360 -> Xbox One route.

Bungie has said they are going to do their best to make sure it happens but they haven't made the guarantee yet.

Hard to tell for sure...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:34 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

But it looked like the loot was separate for each player? If so that makes me happy.

Hard to tell for sure...

by corporatekiller, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:37 (3971 days ago) @ Xenos

That part didn't surprise me. Could you imagine all the grief it would cause to die right at the end of a boss battle like that, only to have the wimp who hid in the corner to scoop up all the loot after you did most of the heavy lifting?

Hard to tell for sure...

by Oholiab @, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:20 (3971 days ago) @ corporatekiller

It's funny because it's true. I abhor such players...

Hard to tell for sure...

by Jillybean, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 01:01 (3971 days ago) @ Oholiab

We provide important moral support.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:38 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Love that melee right there:

[image]

Here, have my tears, Bungie.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:49 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin
edited by Grizzlei, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:01

Not that I wasn't on either already, of course, just that today's event made light that I needed to lock these two things down. Pre-ordered my PlayStation 4 just moments ago and I have no regrets. That console looks to be shaping up real nice with a fantastic lineup. Sony honors and respects its customer's rights as owners. That's a sexual favor-worthy thing nowadays it seems.

[image]

They've gone and done it again. Done made me cry before one highly detailed pixel is on screen. Bastards!

Destiny is nothing short of spectacular. Stunning visuals from the environment to the bleak sky and beyond into the stars. The combat appears to be fluid and engaging ensuring you're never to let down your guard. I have never been a fan of playing cooperatively on my first playthrough and that may never change, but Destiny has certainly put that spark in my attitude towards other gamers.

A radical departure from their comfort zone in Halo is nothing surprising. How they've handled presenting it to the world with such care and passion for so long is astounding. I'm looking so incredibly forward to this vision of tomorrow with you guys. :)

Still needs more starfighters and Tigerman of course. GET ON IT!

What I didn't like

by Monochron, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:03 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin
edited by Monochron, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:11

To play a little Devil's advocate here I'll talk about what bugged me in the demo.

The "Ghost". I didn't feel any sort of attraction toward him. Didn't come off as endearing, funny, or awesome. Good to see a companion though, for those of us without friends who will play Destiny.

Killing those Fallen didn't look as deep as killing a group of grunts/jackels with an Elite leader. I could be wrong, but it didn't inspire me.

The row of abandoned cars reminded me more of apocalypse movies than it did inspire me about Destiny's world.

More HUD than I really liked. Blips floating above enemies. Also that loot pickup is some glowing polygon? Really doesn't ground the idea of loot for me.

Looked like a lot of reticle bloom. It could be okay. But as I really preferred the competitive aspects of Halo, I doubt I will enjoy more bloom.

Okay now to qualify all of that. It's way more than I expected from a "Gameplay demo". The thing is, Sony led me to believe it would be something special. And it was special in that it was gameplay of a game I am dying to play, but it wasn't particularly innovative or game changing. But before Sony told me they had something special saved for the end I didn't think I was going to see anything game changing yet. We barely know anything about the game. Seeing those game mechanics and menues is EXACTLY what I wanted.

What I didn't like

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:43 (3971 days ago) @ Monochron

I didn't look like the Space Revolver had any bloom, it probably just has a ROF cap.

It looks cool.

by Carterficial, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:16 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I like the art, the gameplay looks simple enough, and I can play with friends. I really enjoy Borderlands, and this looks kinda like that with more of a multiplayer bend. I'm curious to know how big these so called "public events" can get in the game. It looked like at least a half dozen people there at the end teaming up in that boss battle. Could there be more?

I'm happy it'll be on PS4 next generation since Microsoft seems to not want my patronage anymore.

by petetheduck, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:19 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I wasn't able to watch it live, so I don't know if I missed some of Jason's dialog in the video I saw--but the demonstration felt like it stumbled a little bit. Awkward silence, excited remark, no reply.

I couldn't see their hands, so no comment there? ;)

The game looks sweet. I didn't realize the little sliding ball was the actual game menu--I thought that was some iOS debug artifact. Really interesting. I also liked the minimalistic HUD a lot. And looks like there won't be any problems with loot drops!

But seriously, what is there not to like? I love me some Bungie.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 10, 2013, 22:08 (3971 days ago) @ petetheduck

I think they had mic problems. I think Joe was supposed to narrate the opening a lot more and that we caught him mid sentence when we finally did hear him. Same with some of those excited statements with no reply. I think there were replies that were not broadcast because the mics were dead / off / whatever.

Some observations:

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:37 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin
edited by Ragashingo, Monday, June 10, 2013, 22:00

1. Since the stream was crappy I didn't catch this at first, but they transitioned from player to player a couple of times, which is why we saw the Ghost launched and then it was suddenly gone. It was a little confusing though and I wished they'd just stuck on one player. Also was everyone having mic troubles? Seemed like there was supposed to be a lot more talking and banter like with previous Bungie live on stage gaming reveals…

2. Both Joe and Jason were playing with unlimited ammo.

3. As they walk down the tunnel with the fan blades you can see that you can indeed carry three weapons.

4. At one point the Hunter uses a power to supercharge his gun. Looked maybe to be the imploding power we saw the Hunter use in the Law of the Jungle.

5. The Fallen's souls are escaping each time they die.

6. Dang that lighting is good.

7. That public event was pretty awesome.

8. I'm fairly sure everyone was invincible. The hunter being killed by the Archon Slayer boss was almost certainly scripted. There was a motion tracker in the upper left of the HUD but I didn't see any shield / health indicators.

9. Although it wasn't obvious, I'm almost certain that every player we saw was a Bungie employee on stage under their own character's screen. So about 8 or 9 in all.

10. Based on the story portion afterwards it seems that The City is not constantly at war with the various enemies, and that while the City is the last safe place on Earth, it is not the last place you will find Earth friendly individuals or forces on Earth. This alters my perception slightly as I figured The City was continually under siege. Interesting.

I like it a lot! The art style was so refreshing. It had that Halo feel of being detailed and beautiful without being hyperrealistic or shades of brown. The gameplay looked solid and fun, and perhaps a little like Boarderlands, which is no sin. The thing that I think got me most was the scale. As far as I could tell one could have just as easily explored along the wall as gone inside. And oh that wall. It had more detail and character on it than the entirety of some games shown today. Inside was wonderful as well. I was expecting it to be narrow corridors, but instead it was actually big dark rooms that I think might have even fit inside the wall, or at least pretended too. The public event at the end was a bit chaotic, but I loved the big warship and the smaller dropships.

What I would like to see now is some one on one sessions showing off the various classes and their abilities. I feel like we got an interesting overview when I want more specifics. There were things shown like weapons having stability numbers, players getting critical hits, and so on that I want to know more about. It'd be nice to see how ammo works, and shields and health work. In short, I want more. :)

+1

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:39 (3971 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Totally agreed on the art direction and approach to graphics.

I might not ever actually play the game

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 13:53 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'll be too busy staring at the beautiful scenery. :)

Two more things, with photographic evidence!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 10, 2013, 22:37 (3971 days ago) @ Ragashingo

1. Russia, and perhaps Earth in general, was I think launching a vast number of colony ships when we were knocked down. Look at these "Shuttle Towers"

[image]
[image]

We have what seems like it would be, if complete and undamaged, three shuttles attached to something with huge engines, packed with many large shipping container sized crates, and topped with… three spherical living chambers… or maybe fuel pods. Whatever they are those things look mighty impressive.

2. Spider Tanks (sometimes referred to as Demon Walkers… whatever…) have cute little grabbers on the front:

[image]

Two more things, with photographic evidence!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 10, 2013, 22:40 (3971 days ago) @ Ragashingo

2. Spider Tanks (sometimes referred to as Demon Walkers… whatever…) have cute little grabbers on the front:

I actually think Demon Walkers might be a boss-type of a Spider Tank. Just a thought I had when I watched it the 3rd time, haha.

Demon Walkers are adult Tachikomas

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 10, 2013, 22:44 (3971 days ago) @ Ragashingo

[image]

Demon Walkers are adult Tachikomas

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, June 10, 2013, 23:27 (3971 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Yeah, the legs are very original GiTS...

[image]

With a bit of the less angular Tachikoma body on top.

May I say

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:54 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

That warlock's got mad dunks

May I say

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:57 (3971 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

That warlock's got mad dunks

I look forward to having a speeder bike chase with you, Paddy.

Warlocks 4eva

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 05:43 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

I WILL DESTROY YOU.

We'll ride, we'll ride, we'll never subside!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:29 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

:D

I will be getting Destiny for everything I own. Starting 360, and moving on up!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:29 (3971 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

...Dang, you rich son.

I guess we gotta be careful when we do ride as Phisto is apparently now our nemesis. (Seriously, that would be cool if we had a real-life nemesis in the game.)

If Halo taught me one thing

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:03 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

...Dang, you rich son.

it's that I will compensate a game beyond it's retail value if I love it enough.

Do you know how many copies of Halo 2 and 3 I have... a lot.

Plus if they have global saves, it's all over. I will have my destiny.

I guess we gotta be careful when we do ride as Phisto is apparently now our nemesis. (Seriously, that would be cool if we had a real-life nemesis in the game.)

Let's get some Choppers!

If Halo taught me one thing

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 15:20 (3971 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Let's get some Choppers!

Wat. Noooooooo. I'm your space magic mind bullet ally friend!

I'll rush in, save the day, then rush away again. You know, like Novaguard in ME3. :P

(I WILL DESTROY YOU is just my battle cry. Gotta respect the classics.)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:55 (3971 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Yeah... I will most likely be doing this too. I really hope that XBox One can play with 360 and PS4 can play with PS3 so I can at least save some money, but even then I'll buy it for PC to if it ends up coming out.

Thunderlord weapon upgrades

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, June 10, 2013, 23:16 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin
edited by Stephen Laughlin, Monday, June 10, 2013, 23:31

On my second viewing and I think it looks great. There are a lot more RPG influences in there than I was expecting and as a big D&D player, I can dig it. Someone's probably already done this, but you can make out most of the weapon upgrade descriptions for Joe's new machine gun as he scrolls through the UI. This looks like a confirmation that bullet-spread and recoil will be a part of the level/upgrade system. I remember discussing that on here a few months ago.

• Ammunition: Increase your ammo capacity, shoot longer without reloading.
    +1 Magazine Size

• Accuracy: Fine tune the targeting so shots land closer to the center of your aim.
    +1 Accuracy

• Gathering Storm: With every kill, the fury of the weapon builds, granting bonus damage for a limited time.

• [Skipped one (Symbol looks like "Armor Piercing" maybe)]

• Ammunition: Increase your ammo capacity, shoot longer without reloading.
    +1 Magazine Size

• [Skipped one (Some kinda spidery looking symbol. Wires? Electronics?)]

• Stability: Balance this weapon's weight to fire more smoothly, with less recoil.
    +1 Stability

• Accuracy: Fine tune the targeting so shots land closer to the center of your aim.
    +1 Accuracy

• Rolling Thunder: Burn through your enemies with thunderous rounds that will both penetrate and detonate.

Edit: Whoop, yeah, should've read Xenos' thread first.

I'm so offended!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 10, 2013, 23:28 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

But not really

You're too fast, man. Too fast!!

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, June 10, 2013, 23:40 (3971 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

I may be a WEE bit obsessed.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 10, 2013, 23:41 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

- No text -

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:33 (3971 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I got what I expected, a bit of social loot stuff, and lots of good looking shooting. I know Bungie can nail the shooting, and it looked good. Now I'm hoping we get some more interesting social/world details from the E3 interviews/Press demos. I also want more info on mags (I mean Ghosts), as the trailer seems to show one strafing bad guys.

The implications of a per weapon upgrade chain is interesting tough, and I really LIKED seeing slide/double jumping in there.

On the downside, I'm a bit bummed to see hitmarkers, ADS, and lifebars. I'd prefer a system of clear visual feedback rather than UI based info.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread