Not enjoying the "trailer" as much as the presentation?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 03:50 (3971 days ago)

I'm so proud of everything the Bungie team has created and produced. The trailer was made by Activision marketing, not Bungie.
- Marty O'Donnell (@MartyTheElder)
June 11, 2013

That at least explains something to me.

I saw the trailer when I woke up here in the UK and thought, "pretty and sounds nice, but not all that great I guess"

then I saw the presentation and promptly started trying to call everyone I knew and tell them to pre-order so we could be guardians together

by Oz Mills, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 04:03 (3971 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Me too. The "Gameplay" trailer wasn't so much that as a cutscene trailer.

That gameplay's exactly what I want from a game, though.... although I expect I'll be able to aim better. *burn*

by Hedge ⌂, Australia, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 04:44 (3971 days ago) @ Oz Mills

Ah, but will you cry out "Jone's nooooooo!!!!" as well. That would be a great t-shirt.

-Hedge.

"Jones! Nooooooo!!!" make it happen hedge!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 05:53 (3971 days ago) @ Hedge

- No text -

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 06:15 (3971 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah, the trailer is pretty weak, especially when compared to the original presentation. I'm hoping a high-def version of the presentation becomes available for dissection at some point.

by stan, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 06:20 (3971 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I wasn't entirely clear why Gus from Breaking Bad was telling some kid about NC State. Not sure what that had to do with the game.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 06:31 (3971 days ago) @ stan

I wasn't entirely clear why Gus from Breaking Bad was telling some kid about NC State. Not sure what that had to do with the game.

Heh. I think they're talking about a different trailer.

Hollywood Envy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:21 (3971 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Lol. More evidence for Hollywood envy in the game's industry. The ESRB rating thing in the beginning is even done up like the MPAA ratings before trailers, green background and all…

It's even cut like a movie trailer! A lot of cutscenes in there for a 'gameplay' trailer!

Hollywood Envy

by petetheduck, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:32 (3971 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lol. More evidence for Hollywood envy in the game's industry. The ESRB rating thing in the beginning is even done up like the MPAA ratings before trailers, green background and all…

It's even cut like a movie trailer! A lot of cutscenes in there for a 'gameplay' trailer!

Just wait till Hollywood gets Games Envy and puts quicktime events in movies.

massive kinect "EVERYBODY LEAN"

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:36 (3971 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

lol

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:49 (3971 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

lol

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:04 (3971 days ago) @ ZackDark

Now I'm going back to our pr0n discussion. HIYO.

lol

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:36 (3971 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

A new meaning to POV pr0n

lol

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:37 (3971 days ago) @ ZackDark

A new meaning to POV pr0n

Why do that WHEN YOU CAN JUST DO IT. GAHHH.

Haha.

Don't give them ideas!

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:51 (3971 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Hollywood Envy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:51 (3971 days ago) @ petetheduck

Just wait till Hollywood gets Games Envy and puts quicktime events in movies.

Zack Snyder pretty much already does.

Hollywood Envy

by Oz Mills, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:39 (3971 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's even cut like a movie trailer!

Nothing wrong with that. Why break from what you know works?

A lot of cutscenes in there for a 'gameplay' trailer!

I noticed that. It's all in-engine but it's definitely not gameplay per se, I think it's a poor choice of titling, but after watching the gameplay demo I'm sated with their E3 coverage.

Hollywood Envy

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:51 (3971 days ago) @ Oz Mills

Because these aren't movies? For example, how often is the book better than the movie, anyway? How often is the movie more terrible than the game?

I'll go find a dead horse now.

Hollywood Envy

by Oz Mills, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:59 (3971 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

It's a trailer. One medium is only so many steps away from another while trying to show what it is with 30 seconds of pre-rendered non-interactive video.

Hollywood Envy

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:03 (3971 days ago) @ Oz Mills

It's a trailer. One medium is only so many steps away from another while trying to show what it is with 30 seconds of pre-rendered non-interactive video.

How long before entire games are 8 hour versions of that, or at least, close enough that there is no meaningful distinction? Didn't COD have a level that literally played itself?

I just see this stuff as sign posts on the road. Writing on the wall. Etc.

Hollywood Envy

by Oz Mills, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:13 (3971 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

This is a larger conversation with regards to "What is a game?" etc. Are "Choose your own adventure" books games? Are "Choose your own adventure" DVDs games? Is "Dragon's Lair" a game? Typing games? Railroad shooters? Railroad typing shooters? Where exactly is the line?

But we're not even talking about games specifically in this case. This wasn't a game. This was a game TRAILER. The amount of times these have been interactive is very, very small, so they made it look as visually appealing as possible, in a manner which is very, very common. There's only so much gameplay which pushes a world and a "feeling" of a game to players. Usually this is in the form of explosions. I don't see where the problem here is.

Envy? Come on.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:50 (3971 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's like saying a game would have theater envy because they have a loading screen with a red curtain involved, or because the game utilizes a script which follows similar conventions a script for a play would use.

I guess they also must have music industry envy, because their music sounds like some bands I've heard before.

Personally, I think they're just drawing on inspiration from other mediums, like pretty much everything else ever, but whatever.

Envy? Come on.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:58 (3971 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

If in this particular case that's drawing inspiration, then damn. Bummer.

I mean, the key points was that Activision's marketing department did the trailer, and then Cody brought up the ERSB stuff. You know how Sadie's Story co-opts Dante's Inferno, or how Spec Ops: The Line co-opts Apocalypse Now (which co-opted a book) or how Mass Effect co-ops Lovecraft? That's the right direction (and I'm sure you know this).

This particular instance is meaningless, really.

Envy? Come on.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:00 (3971 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

If this particular case that's drawing inspiration, then damn. Bummer.

I mean, the key points was that Activision's marketing department did the trailer, and then Cody brought up the ERSB stuff. You know how Sadie's Story co-opts Dante's Inferno, or how Spec Ops: The Line co-opts Apocalypse Now (which co-opted a book) or how Mass Effect co-ops Lovecraft? That's the right direction (and I'm sure you know this).

Pretty much my point right there. Inspiration or homage ≠ envy.

Envy? Come on.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:01 (3971 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

If this particular case that's drawing inspiration, then damn. Bummer.

Pretty much my point right there. Inspiration or homage =/= envy.

Ah, either we agree or I'm confused. Haha.

Hollywood Envy

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 23:32 (3970 days ago) @ Cody Miller

if you're saying ACTIVISION might have Hollywood envy, you may be right. Although mostly I think what they have is a desire to be seen as much more responsible for the creative content of the games they publish than they really are, not necessarily a desire to be seen more like films. That game trailers should ape the techniques of film trailers just seems to be like low-hanging fruit, not evidence of some deep insecurity.

It's projection. The film industry would like to think of the video game industry as deeply envious.

I can easily imagine that when film itself started to incorporate dialogue and linear narratives instead of just being clips of people sneezing and horses running, critics exclaimed that these pretentious twats should just go write a book.

Few old art forms ever really die out, but they can become much less attractive business propositions. It's not hard to imagine someday when Hollywood blockbusters are the entertainment industry equivalent of trade paperbacks.

Hollywood Envy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 08:31 (3970 days ago) @ narcogen

Few old art forms ever really die out, but they can become much less attractive business propositions.

Seriously? When was the last time you heard a radio drama? It died out, because film is superior in that it can do all of what the radio drama does AND MORE. Photography killed realistic painting. Art forms are replaced by things all the time.

Remember the 2.5D FPS, such as doom and marathon? They got replaced with real 3D FPS games and we never looked back.

Not one of those statements is true

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 10:36 (3970 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by ZackDark, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 10:39

Every single one of your examples still exist. The only "however" is exactly what narc said: "[they've] become much less attractive business propositions".

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 11:04 (3970 days ago) @ ZackDark

Gotta agree with Zach here.

All of those artforms still exist and are still active in one form or another. Though Video "killed" the Radio Star, Radio, someone still loves you.

Art is very much self-referential and inspires itself and other forms of art.

Artform != the sum of it's parts

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 12:09 (3970 days ago) @ ZackDark

Every single one of your examples still exist. The only "however" is exactly what narc said: "[they've] become much less attractive business propositions".

Sure they are still around, but none of them are on the cutting edge of art anymore, simply because better more capable forms came to replace them. The folks actually pushing the boundaries of art are naturally choosing the mediums that allow them to do so.

Film is better than radio, since film can do everything radio can PLUS MORE.
3D first person shooters are better than 2.5D first person shooters, because a 3D FPS can do everything a 2.5D FPS can do PLUS MORE.

So, radio plays may exist, but they aren't on the cutting edge.

Games and film will never replace each other, since each can do things the other can't.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 12:31 (3970 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ah, but radio leaves more to the imagination, which is appealing to some. Once again this is the "Cody makes a reasonable claim but words it as though it was a different, preposterous one." By which I mean:

Few old art forms ever really die out, but they can become much less attractive business propositions.

Seriously? When was the last time you heard a radio drama? It died out, because film is superior in that it can do all of what the radio drama does AND MORE. Photography killed realistic painting. Art forms are replaced by things all the time.

And then:

Sure they are still around, but none of them are on the cutting edge of art anymore

This has been: Quotes in which Cody Miller rails against Claim A only to turn around and make Claim A.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 12:56 (3970 days ago) @ Cody Miller

3D first person shooters are better than 2.5D first person shooters, because a 3D FPS can do everything a 2.5D FPS can do PLUS MORE.

Games and film will never replace each other, since each can do things the other can't.

Your analogy is shooting itself in the foot. Horribly. All these examples of media which include all of the technological capabilities of another medium and therefore stamp it out?

Games can play back scripted imagery in sync with scripted sound. Real-time graphical power considerations aside (and even that is rapidly becoming a smaller and smaller gap), their capabilities completely encompass those of film, while also allowing interactivity to affect things.

The reason that games won't stamp out films is because those weirdo non-interactive games that people call "films" aren't intrinsically inferior on account of reducing the technical features. Not because each medium can do things the other cannot.

If you really want to argue that a distinction arises on account of techniques used by developers in each field tending to be somewhat different to better suit the different capabilities available, I'd reply by pointing out that that's true of literally every single example you've brought up. Like, in practical terms, people developing within Doomlike shooter engines tend to use totally different design techniques than people developing within newer engines.

Only a few of those statements are true

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 20:23 (3969 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sure they are still around, but none of them are on the cutting edge of art anymore, simply because better more capable forms came to replace them. The folks actually pushing the boundaries of art are naturally choosing the mediums that allow them to do so.

Mostly agree there.

Film is better than radio, since film can do everything radio can PLUS MORE.

I'm sure there quite a few good radio stories that are excellent exactly because the listener can't see exactly what is going and relies only on description. Kind of like books.

A-hem

I agree there, but only because I know no particular modern radio stories. Maybe if I did I could weigh in my opinion better.

Now, you know that's not true. Refer to Metal Gear Solid 4 for explanation.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 21:32 (3969 days ago) @ ZackDark

A-hem

Oh dear, that's both awesome and something I want to stay far away from… assuming my world has depth… :p

I agree there, but only because I know no particular modern radio stories. Maybe if I did I could weigh in my opinion better.

Look up the BBC's Drama of the Week podcast. One new modern radio drama with decent sound effects and voice acting per week. Beyond that discounting radio stories strikes me as wrong because some of my favorite stories of all time were radio dramas. HHGttG was an awesome radio drama. So were ilovebees and Sadie's Story. Just because something isn't popular with the general public doesn't mean its not good.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 21:54 (3969 days ago) @ ZackDark

A-hem

Just to make sure you know, when Cody said "2.5D FPS", he was referring to games like Doom and Marathon. The Z axis is semi-faked in those engines. Modern FPS engines based on fully 3d geometry can easily be used to emulate Doom and Marathon, but the reverse isn't true. Marathon may feel very 3d in-game, but there's a lot of stuff it flat-out can't process; you'll notice that no Marathon levels have bridges in them, for instance (or at least not bridges where the people on the bridge can look out at people walking under the bridge).

These ancient 2.5D portal-based engines do have one advantage, in that they have completely native support for placing rooms on top of each other. This allows you to do some silly "non-Euclidean" stuff if you so choose. But there are a number of reasons that people very rarely use that functionality, and you can emulate it seamlessly in modern engines anyway.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 23:54 (3969 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'm sure there quite a few good radio stories that are excellent exactly because the listener can't see exactly what is going and relies only on description. Kind of like books.

Then make your film with nothing but black accompanying the audio.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 13, 2013, 07:30 (3969 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Then make your film with nothing but black accompanying the audio.

lol

Ok, valid.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:03 (3971 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Granted I'll take the fact that playing the game is more exciting than the trailer any day. Great work Bungie.

I think it's a great 'post-demo montage' if anything.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:23 (3971 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

HAHAHAHA!!!

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:07 (3971 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I'm so proud of everything the Bungie team has created and produced. The trailer was made by Activision marketing, not Bungie.
- Marty O'Donnell (@MartyTheElder)
June 11, 2013

I love it when a dev calls out their publisher like that.

I'm curious...

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 12:39 (3971 days ago) @ kidtsunami

...what the balance of power is in the Bungie/Activision relationship.

Cus as far as I'm concerned, Bungie doesn't really need help doing marketing for their games. So why are Activision making trailers and running social streams for them?

I'm curious...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 12:48 (3971 days ago) @ RC

...what the balance of power is in the Bungie/Activision relationship.

Cus as far as I'm concerned, Bungie doesn't really need help doing marketing for their games. So why are Activision making trailers and running social streams for them?

Activision has control over marketing (not what Bungie does but putting out any marketing they want) from what I understand that's about all they have control over. Bungie has complete control over the game and Activision can market it as they want is how I understand what I've read.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread