I'm not satisfied.

by corporatekiller, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:00 (3944 days ago)

The gameplay last night didn't show us any of what I was hoping to learn about Destiny. In fact, it seemed to mostly gloss over details and just show us action. I s'pose action is what they were trying to sell, but I'm not buying just on that alone. I wanted to see some competitive multiplayer and a bit of the first scene of the campaign.

Overall, the gameplay footage probably undersold what (I hope) destiny actually is. If it was the whole story, it felt too similar to Borderlands.

We as fanboys have to be careful to temper our expectations, I know, because we aren't going to get another Halo 2, and if we did, we'd complain that it was just another Halo 2. Still, my appetite for details is not sated.

First order of business: What's with the blue folks?

I'm not satisfied.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:04 (3944 days ago) @ corporatekiller

Well, out in the wild, they appear to talk with gunpoint.

It was enough to wet the appetite

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:06 (3944 days ago) @ corporatekiller

The gameplay last night didn't show us any of what I was hoping to learn about Destiny. In fact, it seemed to mostly gloss over details and just show us action. I s'pose action is what they were trying to sell, but I'm not buying just on that alone. I wanted to see some competitive multiplayer and a bit of the first scene of the campaign.

Overall, the gameplay footage probably undersold what (I hope) destiny actually is. If it was the whole story, it felt too similar to Borderlands.

We as fanboys have to be careful to temper our expectations, I know, because we aren't going to get another Halo 2, and if we did, we'd complain that it was just another Halo 2. Still, my appetite for details is not sated.

I love Halo 2, but I would never use it as an example of excellence (it was a production and technical nightmare), but it was awesome nonetheless.

I gave us some indication of story events, public events, quirky floaty friends, and the Fallen in all their glory.

I'm not satisfied.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:13 (3944 days ago) @ corporatekiller

Honestly, once I found out it for sure it wasn't coming out this year, I wasn't surprised it was just gameplay. Story trailers will probably come a lot closer to launch.

I'm not satisfied.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:17 (3944 days ago) @ corporatekiller
edited by Grizzlei, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:30

We as fangirls have to be careful to temper our expectations, I know, because we aren't going to get another Halo 2, and if we did, we'd complain that it was just another Halo 2. Still, my appetite for details is not sated.

Am I the only one who thought that Halo 2 was one of two or three diamonds on an otherwise plain and rocky crown?

Besides, Destiny is still more than a year out until release. I kept my expectations firmly in check and was spoiled with a very sweet tease. I couldn't - and wouldn't - ask for any more.

Nope. Me too.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:37 (3944 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

I'm not satisfied.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:39 (3944 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Am I the only one who thought that Halo 2 was one of two or three diamonds on an otherwise plain and rocky crown?

I loved Halo 2, I have no complaints from my time playing it. I think most people's complaints stem from one of two things: the trailer that ended up being fake, and the huge cliffhanger ending.

I'm not satisfied.

by ferrex, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:50 (3943 days ago) @ Xenos

I loved Halo 2, I have no complaints from my time playing it. I think most people's complaints stem from one of two things: the trailer that ended up being fake, and the huge cliffhanger ending.

The E3 trailer was a real mission, but it was scrapped between E3 and launch along with the lighting engine due to performance problems.

Very little content from before summer 2003 shipped in fall 2004.

I'm not satisfied.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:52 (3943 days ago) @ ferrex

The E3 trailer was a real mission, but it was scrapped between E3 and launch along with the lighting engine due to performance problems.

Sorry "fake" was a poor choice of words :)

I'm not satisfied.

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:19 (3943 days ago) @ ferrex

Didn't Halo 2 have a full realtime GI solution back then? It's crazy to think you guys even tried to pull something like that off on the XBox's souped up GeForce 3.

I'm not satisfied.

by ferrex, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 13:27 (3943 days ago) @ electricpirate

Didn't Halo 2 have a full realtime GI solution back then? It's crazy to think you guys even tried to pull something like that off on the XBox's souped up GeForce 3.

It was a stencil buffer shadow implementation, and the limiting factor (as I understand it) was fill rate on the Xbox. The same sort of implementation worked out for Doom3 due to their tight environments and stark art style, but that city environment was essentially the worst possible case for that lighting engine.

It was scrapped because we could either have lighting, or more than 5 AI at a time. It's too bad, it was a neat environment to drive around in.

I'm not satisfied.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:16 (3943 days ago) @ ferrex

It was a stencil buffer shadow implementation, and the limiting factor (as I understand it) was fill rate on the Xbox. The same sort of implementation worked out for Doom3 due to their tight environments and stark art style, but that city environment was essentially the worst possible case for that lighting engine.

It was scrapped because we could either have lighting, or more than 5 AI at a time. It's too bad, it was a neat environment to drive around in.

I have a mental image of shadow volumes cascading down from each and every building to cover screen-space 100 times over, and it's amazing. The Xbox is screaming "**** OVERDRAW, JUST PORT THIS TO PS2 ALREADY YOU MONSTERS, AAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!"

And that's how Halo became a Sony exclusive franchise and saved the Playstation 2 from its poor market performance.

Poor market performance?!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 15:42 (3943 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

That's the main part of that sentence you took issue with!?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:01 (3943 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

I'm not satisfied.

by BOLL ⌂ @, Sweden, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:20 (3944 days ago) @ corporatekiller

Hah! I just have to comment that... it was Halo 2 that ruined the series for me :D But I was totally super snowed in on Halo 1, having explored pretty much every square inch of it, hacking it to pieces. I can rant on for two hours about this, but I'll do that if someone wants me to ;P A small detail is that I have played Halo mostly for the campaign, didn't spend much time in multiplayer.

I predicted this

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:22 (3944 days ago) @ corporatekiller

A 10 minute gameplay demo is a lousy place to show interesting world stuff, hopefully we get more during the press interviews and demos.

FWIW, we know there's more that isn't being mentioned, we know there is more player customization, ship customization, etc. We know there is competitive multiplayer, but we haven't been told what it is yet.

The blue guys are the one of the three playable races, some kind of ghost human.

I got what I expected.

by jazo, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:07 (3944 days ago) @ corporatekiller

This was the gameplay reveal. They weren't going to go through a list of features since they were trying to show us the game, which they did quite well.

It was some what scripted sure, most demos are. The key points for me were seeing the detail they have in the environments, the new graphical/lighting engine shining marvelously, and the "feel" of combat which seems to be very Halo'y but with magic now instead of grenades.

The people joining on the fly was a nifty part of the demo as well and is telling of how they plan to integrate co-op in sans menus.

Story bits.. I mean we have to give Bungie some credit here. They aren't going to reveal really anything detailed until closer to launch and I personally trust this company to deliver a compelling story. We know there are several different factions and a mysterious giant sphere hovering over Earth... things will be explained as they should. I personally do not want to know very much because then it treads into the movie-trailer-showing-too-much territory.

Only thing I wished was touched on is competitive multiplayer. That will be explained soon. What makes me excited is actually seeing their work! It's been so long since Destiny was rumored and announced. Great to finally see things in action!

I got what I expected.

by corporatekiller, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 20:59 (3943 days ago) @ jazo

I'm getting older now, and my imagination doesn't work like it used to, so showing me some explosions and cool armor don't immerse me much; at least not enough to get excited.

I anxiously await the juicy detail parts. I am in genuine fear that I've outgrown the ability to be entertained by the simplicity of spamming an enemy with grenades and full auto fire as we saw - I long to see tactics like we see against human opponents in MP. Even the old tried and true systematic dismantling of covie fireteams became pedantic to me.

Am I that old, is it too early to see what I want, or is it too much to ask to have some fresh gameplay approaches?

The whole thing felt too familiar, which is the opposite of what I expected. I expected to see some huge divergence from what we're used to, and didn't look forward to it. Now I wish Bungie had pushed a bit more in that direction.

I know, all this from a short, limited video. I am sad that I was less excited for it than I am for some other titles like Battlefield 4. I never thought anyone could outclass Bungie, but unless my impressions from this video are mistaken, I could be wrong.

I know my outlook might not be popular, and I don't want to advocate that Destiny isn't a great game for people, but I'm worried it might not be such for me. I also don't want to be "that guy" who spoils it for someone else.

Sorry Bungie - Prove I'm an idiot for my concerns - Please.

I'm not satisfied.

by Tawpgun, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:28 (3944 days ago) @ corporatekiller

Destiny as a game is difficult to show off in 5-10 minutes. I agree what we saw wasn't THAT spectacular. The best part of the experience is how you interact with the world and other players. We only got a tiny taste of that.

Also yes, I'm hoping there's a PvP competitive mp

I'm not satisfied.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:58 (3943 days ago) @ corporatekiller

<_<

. . . Watch this

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread