Got a question about Destiny?

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:58 (3943 days ago)

We meant to open this thread yesterday - but things got away from us.

If you have questions you'd like to ask the devs here, post them in this thread! We're going to do our best to get some interview time, and we'd love to get your input, too!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:02 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:05

If you have questions you'd like to ask the devs here, post them in this thread! We're going to do our best to get some interview time, and we'd love to get your input, too!

Will Destiny support 4 player split screen play?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:10 (3943 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Will Destiny support 4 player split screen play?

And guests, or do they have to be actual accounts?

I would like to hear about competitive modes and if we'll be able to LAN.

Can we swap profiles between consoles? Xbox to PS?

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:06 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Thanks Claude!

1. What's the range on difficulty in the game? Does it scale based on available players, or player level?

2. How limited are resources (Talent Points, Weapon Kits, Glimmer)? Can we grind away at them forever, or do they have some cap (Player level, or game progress.)

3. How often are World Events, and what kind of rewards are available?

4. Are weapons or enemies Randomized?

5. How does death work, is there a penaltie for dying? Is there a hardcore/roguelike mode?

Thanks!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:09 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Grizzlei, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:16

How extensive is a player's ability to customize their character's general appearance (ethnicity/hair/face/body), wardrobe, and combat gear? Can it only be altered at a certain location or wherever your current location may be?

P.S., give them all a hug for me. I'm sure you've already done this, but please do it again! :P

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:48 (3943 days ago) @ Grizzlei

P.S., give them all a hug for me. I'm sure you've already done this, but please do it again! :P

I cannot re-emphasize this enough. I had a major, debilitating headache throughout the entire conference last night, but I stuck through it JUST for Destiny.

It was worth it. I'm extremely excited to lose myself in their new universe.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:53 (3943 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I cannot re-emphasize this enough. I had a major, debilitating headache throughout the entire conference last night, but I stuck through it JUST for Destiny.

It was worth it. I'm extremely excited to lose myself in their new universe.

Tell them they know what the fans like.

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:10 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

How will online play be addressed across PSN and XBLive? Specifically; Can Destiny players on PS3/PS4 play with people on XB360/XBone? If so, does that mean Bungie/Activision-run game servers? If not, how does Bungie plan on coalescing what will essentially be two separate online "worlds"?

/pipedream

by mnemesis, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 13:45 (3943 days ago) @ Mid7night

How will online play be addressed across PSN and XBLive? Specifically; Can Destiny players on PS3/PS4 play with people on XB360/XBone? If so, does that mean Bungie/Activision-run game servers? If not, how does Bungie plan on coalescing what will essentially be two separate online "worlds"?

/pipedream

Good question.

Will it be possible to solo public encounters? Will it be possible (and fun) to solo the whole game?

Before I submit questions

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:19 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Can you give any insight on how tight-lipped you expect them to be? That is, are we likely to get any specific information from them? Or should we keep our questions to non-elucidatory topics like "what's the coolest thing about working on Destiny?"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:26 (3943 days ago) @ Schooly D

Can you give any insight on how tight-lipped you expect them to be? That is, are we likely to get any specific information from them? Or should we keep our questions to non-elucidatory topics like "what's the coolest thing about working on Destiny?"

IS THERE BODY COUNT IN DESTINY?!

by car15, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:55 (3943 days ago) @ Cody Miller

IS THERE BODY COUNT IN DESTINY?!

The only question that matters.

by Beckx, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:21 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Can all classes solo effectively? If not, which class is the better choice for soloing?

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:26 (3943 days ago) @ Beckx

Can all classes solo effectively? If not, which class is the better choice for soloing?

A related question, what do the Hunter and Titan classes offer to offset the Warlock's use of space magic? Do they have any special abilities?

And these questions from another one of my posts.

- Was it running on the PS4?
- Will all guns have skill trees?
- When will there be information on any competitive multiplayer that may (or may not be) present?

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:39 (3943 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

- Will all guns have skill trees?

And will certain of these skill trees perhaps split?

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:20 (3943 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

- When will there be information on any competitive multiplayer that may (or may not be) present?

We already know there is going to be competitive multiplayer.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 15:03 (3943 days ago) @ RC

Really? Do we know anything about it?

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:12 (3943 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

There is something called Faction Wars. That might not even be related to competitive multiplayer, but it's something we know.

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 05:12 (3942 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

Really? Do we know anything about it?

We know it exists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN8f14eMn-I - Joe mentions it early on. Talking about it being a good cooperative game and 'of course a great competitive game.'

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:33 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I figure most of my questions won't be answered at this time, but what the heck:

1. Was all that stuff we saw, the rocks, the land across the river, the area around the wall, and even the volcano in the distant distance playable space? Can I journey forth into the vast vast wild like Skyrim and be amazed?

2. They were playing with unlimited ammo. Can they talk any about how ammo and the need to conserve it or not will work in regular gameplay?

3. On the public event, how does one decide to join or decline? If they'd run back inside before the enemies dropped would the game not count them as involved?

4. Can we get confirmation that their mics weren't working on stage? Or do they just like starting in mid sentence and yelling out with no response?

5. Speaking of which, the stream barely showed it, but it looked like all the people that joined in on the public event were playing on stage. Who were those other mysterious Bungie employees?

6. Any comment they can give on the cool "shuttle towers" arrayed around the wall?

7. Can they just say nice things about the lighting. Tell them to talk about the amazing lighting.

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 12:49 (3943 days ago) @ Ragashingo

4. Can we get confirmation that their mics weren't working on stage? Or do they just like starting in mid sentence and yelling out with no response?

Ditto

Yes.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:38 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Thanks for doing this Wu. Now I can stop linking to links that link to my main question. I will now also include questions I know couldn't be answered at this time but shall ask anyway just in case.

1. This week we heard about alot of new & existing IPs that have been built to be an "Open World"; How will Destiny stand out from it all?

2.Will the shared event always start with an in-game cinematic or will there be moments where calm becomes chaos suddenly?

In the cases of in-game cinimatics:

• ... are they in set locations or can they occur anywhere?
  • ... if something happens like buildings falling in the distance during a cutscene, is that action permanent or does it reset over time?
  • ...How big can it get?

3.How many players can I expect to see total on the battlefield at a time?

• ... Would this be connection based?

4.Will the Lone Wolf encounter the same degree of difficulty of the group? (Does difficulty scale?)

5. Bungie + DBO Vs the World. Possable?

. . . More?

1 More

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 15:54 (3943 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

After Halo 3 Bungie made Halo 3 : ODST & Halo Reach. It is known that during this time the beginnings of Destiny was being worked on. It should also be noted that some of the ... Experimental(?)... features of both games such a free roaming "living" level for the Rooky, Firefight, Multiple Armor configurations, and the ability to see "your character" in a cutscene. All of these things (except for firefight) were firsts for a game made by Bungie.

The Question: Were the two contract obligated Halo games made with a hidden side goal of testing how to implement various game play maniacs seen in Destiny?

I almost didn't want to post this question - its so - Conspiracy-tastic sounding. *Ehh...ech*

Now I need to take a shower. >_<

One more: Was Peter Dinklage the ghost?

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:44 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Imagine if the Ghost was anything like Spark

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:52 (3943 days ago) @ electricpirate

Well, actually, I can show you...

[image]

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:44 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by MrPadraig08, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:52

How are character saves handled across consoles? Something cloud-like? Cross platform game saves?

Can you hijack a Spider-Tank and take it for a ride? (Sorry old habits)

Where mah brutes at?

Stop trying to make Brutes happen!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:47 (3943 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

But... Four-armed Brutes in kick-ass capes!

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:51 (3943 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

Why? 343 isn't using them.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:53 (3943 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

Oh well!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:54 (3943 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

[image]

...you poor, fluffy, adorable gigantic space babies. :(

Zing!

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:59 (3943 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

In the spirit of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G8HQrWPNoc

Space travel.

by jazo, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:46 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Will we be traveling through space in our ships to get to a destination or is it more like opening a menu and selecting from a list and then loading into the zone with your ship?

Trying to gauge how much action we're gonna see out of the first-person perspective.

by car15, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:50 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by car15, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:56

Dear friends at B.U.N.G.L.E.,

You have advertised Destiny as a 'social game,' emphasizing the interactions between players, the importance of individual choice in each player's personal narrative, and the ability for players to become 'heroes' of the game world.

Exactly what does this mean from a gameplay perspective? Do players have true control over their own stories, a la Mass Effect (or at least a la what Mass Effect was supposed to be)? Or are the choices players make limited to the selection of custom loot and gear?

Will players interact in a truly shared world or a semi-shared world? Are there core story missions that all players experience separately, in their own separate private canons, or is absolutely everything about Destiny shared among all players?

If Destiny is a truly shared world in the purest sense, then how is it possible for all players to become 'heroes' of the game world? What has Bungie implemented to prevent the "chef on Naboo syndrome" that plagued games like Star Wars Galaxies?

And one last question, just as a personal curiosity. Dialogue trees add a meaty layer of individual player choice to many popular RPG games. Does Destiny feature dialogue trees similar to the ones used in these games? Does player choice impact the outcome of the narrative, as Mass Effect attempted?

(Sorry if this has been asked already. I have a busy day and no time to read the entire thread.)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:58 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Any chance Bungie will be bringing Destiny to PAX?

Also

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:59 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Are there multiple instances of named weapons or are they unique?

Are there going to be unique one of a kind weapons... like across the whole game?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 12:19 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Mr Daax, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 12:25

Thanks Claude! First, tell 'em they did an awesome job. It looks and sounds freaking gorgeous! I was squealing with excitement, just ask Chewie.

As for questions:

1) I am still fuzzy on the class differences. Yes, the Warlocks can do awesome glimmer magics. Can the other classes do any of that as well? How will the classes play differently. What can the Titans do that the Hunters and Warlocks cannot? And same for the Hunters and Warlocks. Are there weapon restrictions to the classes? For example, can only the Hunters use sniper-esque weapons? Can only the Titans use heavy machine gun style weapons, or rocket launcher type weapons? Or are the differences more along the lines of character stats?
EDIT: Just noticed the Hunter in the front page pic holding what looks like a badass rocket launcher. I'm gonna guess there are no class weapon restrictions.

2)I too am dying to know if the game is open world. If it isn't, how big are the play spaces we will be put into, and how many of them are there? Are there a certain number of play spaces per planet? Will more be added as the game progresses?

Other than that, I am content. Though frustrating, I am enjoying not knowing a whole lot. I think it will make the game that much more enjoyable and surprising when I play it.

EDIT: I CAN HAZ TIGERMAN?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 12:45 (3943 days ago) @ Mr Daax

1) I am still fuzzy on the class differences. Yes, the Warlocks can do awesome glimmer magics. Can the other classes do any of that as well?

Not that I can answer the whole question, but behold! A hunter power:

[image]
[image]

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:22 (3943 days ago) @ Xenos

1) I am still fuzzy on the class differences. Yes, the Warlocks can do awesome glimmer magics. Can the other classes do any of that as well?

Not that I can answer the whole question, but behold! A hunter power:

[image]
[image]

Thanks! I thought of that Hunter power up, but I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of directly offensive glimmer. I only saw Staten's Warlock punching that out with the 3rd person moves, and I'm curious if the Hunters and Titans can use offensive glimmer as well.

On a side note, the sudden, and brief, shift to 3rd person for the glimmer move seemed rather odd. Maybe they just wanted to showcase how awesome your guardian looks doing it, or maybe it's like the Reach assassinations.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:25 (3943 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Thanks! I thought of that Hunter power up, but I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of directly offensive glimmer. I only saw Staten's Warlock punching that out with the 3rd person moves, and I'm curious if the Hunters and Titans can use offensive glimmer as well.

On a side note, the sudden, and brief, shift to 3rd person for the glimmer move seemed rather odd. Maybe they just wanted to showcase how awesome your guardian looks doing it, or maybe it's like the Reach assassinations.

I actually really like the 3rd person moments. In these type of games I spend a lot of time making my character look awesome so it's fun to be rewarded for it.

Talking about glimmer powers, I think that they are going to have classes of powers. Warlock seems to be hard hitting direct attack skills and Hunter seems to be charging up weapons or ammo. Makes me really wonder (as you do too) what the heck are Titans going to do?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:28 (3943 days ago) @ Xenos

I actually really like the 3rd person moments. In these type of games I spend a lot of time making my character look awesome so it's fun to be rewarded for it.

The third person moment is definitely a cool showcase of your guradian. But it happened so quickly that it felt a little jarring.

Talking about glimmer powers, I think that they are going to have classes of powers. Warlock seems to be hard hitting direct attack skills and Hunter seems to be charging up weapons or ammo. Makes me really wonder (as you do too) what the heck are Titans going to do?

I haven't seen the livestream, but I guess there was some Titan Magic shown. Very cool!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:30 (3943 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I haven't seen the livestream, but I guess there was some Titan Magic shown. Very cool!

It might just have been the impact or something from a hard drop into the map. Everybody knows that us Titans don't need no freaking magic. Don't quote me on it with confidence.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:21 (3943 days ago) @ Grizzlei

It might just have been the impact or something from a hard drop into the map. Everybody knows that us Titans don't need no freaking magic. Don't quote me on it with confidence.

It looked like a TITAN ground stomp but with fists! And lightning effects!!!

ARMOR LOCK!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:25 (3943 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

YES! Armor Lock is the BEST!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:28 (3943 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

I Rather Disliked It When People Abused Its EMP Though

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:28 (3943 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:32 (3943 days ago) @ Xenos

I thought it was useful and rather well balanced. Enemy players lingering close to you camping solves any serious concern over you surviving indefinitely. Constant risk and constant reward. I think it's perfect.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:37 (3942 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I thought it was useful and rather well balanced. Enemy players lingering close to you camping solves any serious concern over you surviving indefinitely. Constant risk and constant reward. I think it's perfect.

Agreed. I thought the invulnerability could've been shortened in the end of the animation, but other than that I thought it was pretty well balanced.

Mixed with some HULK SMASH!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:30 (3943 days ago) @ Grizzlei

But really, watch him at 14:30 and 15:30. At 15:30 he does this jump-into-the-fray with a Titan Smash and kills a couple Fallen. SO SICK!!!

EDIT

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 17:35 (3942 days ago) @ Mr Daax

My bad, the time stamps I was talking about are from this video.
Thanks to Hypertrooper for pointing it out in another thread.

Mixed with some HULK SMASH!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 17:46 (3942 days ago) @ Mr Daax

It reminded me of Nova, so, naturally, arousal.

I might just have to rethink Warlock.

how is disparate leveled co-op balanced

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 12:24 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

When my retired dad who will inevitably have a few characters at least 20 levels higher than mine hops into my game, what will happen to my experience?

ooooo, almost answered!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, June 28, 2013, 03:08 (3926 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Suppose this is answered vaguely in that kotaku article.

Combat balances to accommodate them, he said.

I'm now curious about how those combat balances will occur. Will it be increased enemy HP, strategy, or damage?

It's certainly a very interesting design problem, that if they resolve, will allow me to appreciate progression again.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 12:39 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

How open is the world? Could Joe and Jason have gone meandering off in the other direction instead of entering the wall?

Tell me more about player-owned ships. The demonstration gave me the impression that they amount to what is essentially fast travel or a nifty lore-friendly way to insert one player into another player's instance. How much more is there to it? In what circumstance will players be able to pilot them, if at all?

by Hypertrooper, Germany, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 12:58 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

First of all: Thanks Claude, Duncan, mastrbiggy and the rest of the DBO team at E3 to give us the opportunity to ask questions and furthermore I cannot wait to hear you guys impressions.

My questions would be:

Destiny is based on a "always-connected" experience. With that in mind, did you think about people with a slow internet connection? How will they experience Destiny? Will it be a lesser experience? Can people who were only able to play Halo in co-op with heavy lags participate in global events? (I am rude because I am asking the questions why I'm affected with these problems. I'd never have thought about it if I had had a high-speed internet connection.)

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 13:02 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by CaneCutter, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 13:15

Will multiplayer have a stripped down version of the "campaign" gameplay features or will it mirror it?

May I please have a Fallen t-shirt?

- CC Medium will do just fine.

EDIT: Forgot some! Theater? Screenshots? Saved Films? Forge/Level Editor?

Vanguard? FOTC?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 13:22 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The t-shirt descriptions for Vanguard and FOTC said, "See you at E3" -- will we get more information about those this week?

Oh, and what can they tell us about the "Music of the Spheres"?

Competitive Multiplayer

by Cardo 8 ATL, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 13:43 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Will we be able to accept challenges from other factions roaming the world and play a competitive multiplayer match (slayer, ctf, koth, etc) against them if we so choose? Or are my hopes and dreams forever squashed?

by BOLL ⌂ @, Sweden, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:02 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Hrm. I'm still fairly.. much... wait, will watch the gameplay session again.

Uhoh, yes yes. Feels totally like Galaxy Star Online, haha xD well, pretty much. Looking forward to the exploration the most, very much...

1. Will you try to keep the immersion as good as poss... wait, that was a third person move, never mind. Please no micro cutscenes... Oh, and no killzones or cheap invisible walls, it sucks for explorers like myself, the plausible universe breaks down :P
2. Erhm, yeah, questions, and being nice eh. Seems I'm overly skeptical towards many things this E3. I blame... stress! For sure.
3. So... only consoles? :( Sure, I'll get myself a PS4, probably, but I'm pretty much about to sell my TV as I never use it...
4. Will you show skill/talent/ability-trees for characters soon too? It was nice seeing it on a weapon, and a much larger tree than I expected, but eh... for some reason I'm very much interested in the leveling up system... which is kind of what makes the experience in games which has it.
5. We all want to know how it will work with profiles, cross-consoles etc. But a simple question, how many characters will we be able to store on one account? Three? Eight? 10 gazillion? :O
6. I'd very much want to know how public events work. In WoW it was nuts trying to get a kill on an open world boss as many guilds competed. Ninja-tapping and troll-kiting, hurrrrgh. How many players does it take normally, and how public is public? How did that other fire team appear? O.o Just by proximity to the event, did two games get merged or were all of them always in the same game?
7. Oh shit I'm totally just spamming, very sorry about this, been a stressful week so far.
8. So yeah, how about that PC version with Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra support... right right, I'll shut up.
9. Uhoh, got distracted by YouTube. More? Hmm. Nah, I just need to know more about the mechanics, at all, before I can ask about more details. So yeah, how does it work? :D

;P

Is that Peter Dinklage I hear?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:17 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Yeah, DeeJ confirmed in interview

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:26 (3943 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Sweet!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:31 (3943 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Where is this interview you speak of?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 15:28 (3943 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 15:53 (3943 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

It was after the demo at 2PM PST today. They sat down with DeeJ and talked about a few things. Was pretty good, actually.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 22:12 (3942 days ago) @ Beorn

It was after the demo at 2PM PST today. They sat down with DeeJ and talked about a few things. Was pretty good, actually.

Who is they?

Is there a link to this interview somewhere?

DeeJ Playstation interview

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 09:22 (3942 days ago) @ narcogen

Who is they?

Is there a link to this interview somewhere?

Here is the Deej interview, all cued up.

by Tashi, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 14:27 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

How does Destiny find, match and place players in a public event?

by zumphry ⌂ @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 15:36 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

• Does every weapon have Aim-Down Sights, or is it weapon specific? If it's weapon specific, then are there some weapons with Halo-style sights?

• Was the area that was shown linear for the purpose of the demo — to show off basic gameplay, and to surprise us with how Public Events work — or is every area and mission linear as well?

• Are there various types of objectives in Public Events (take down invading force, capture an objective, etc), and do different Fireteams have different objectives to complete once they're matched up, or do they all join up to complete the same objective?

• Any hints as to when we'll see more of The City, or Player vs Player?

• Is it futile to hope the E3 shirts and their designs will come back after this run sells out?

Thanks for taking our questions, Team Deebo. :-)

by Monochron, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:25 (3943 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I will be playing Destiny on a 360 and my brother will be playing on an Xbox One. Will we be able to party up and play together?

Armour

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:47 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Is it merely cosmetic? Will it have stat bonuses? If so, what do these bonuses mean in real terms to gameplay? Will you eventually 'outgrow' zones and find them trivially easy once you've upgraded a bit, or will skill still remain the ultimate deciding factor?

Also, can you reduce the shipping cost on your t-shirts to the UK please, then I will buy 5 :-)

Armour

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 02:15 (3942 days ago) @ kapowaz

Is it merely cosmetic? Will it have stat bonuses? If so, what do these bonuses mean in real terms to gameplay?

While playing with Gamespot, Joe said the armour isn't just cosmetic, though he didn't go further into detail.

Also, can you reduce the shipping cost on your t-shirts to the UK please, then I will buy 5 :-)

This this this!

Armour

by kapowaz, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 06:26 (3942 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

Is it merely cosmetic? Will it have stat bonuses? If so, what do these bonuses mean in real terms to gameplay?

While playing with Gamespot, Joe said the armour isn't just cosmetic, though he didn't go further into detail.

Yeah, I watched that this morning and was on the edge of my seat… only then he didn't say anything else! I was pretty certain it'd be more than cosmetic (it was a loaded question really), but I'm still none the wiser as to how big a difference it makes.

Thought of one more!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 17:00 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Are there going to be alien weapons we can use?

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 17:25 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Can I powerslide between a Fallen Captain's legs?

Is REX inscribed at the top of that Russian spaceship in the background? Can I climb aforementioned Russian spaceship?

Will Destiny make a habit of having players magically appear around me at Public Events?

How many miles to the gallon did those cars get before they were abandoned outside the wall?

Does every Guardian have a double-jump from the start?

Related to guilds/clans

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 18:27 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Avateur, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 18:31

Is everything based around combat, or will guilds/clans be able to explore and journey into mysterious places looking for loot and adventure without the possibility of always being ambushed or running into trouble?

To expand, anything regarding puzzles/teamwork to get through or around places, or is it mostly just go somewhere, find enemies, fight your way through, become a legend?

by The Lionheart ⌂, Savannah, GA, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 18:33 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I have a question:

So far, what they've shown seems to be more about the "game-y" aspects of Destiny, whereas I'm only really interested in investing myself in this universe if there's something there when I dig deeper (and hopefully stuff even deeper than that, that other people discover and share with me), so, will there be layers upon layers upon layers of story, lore, narrative, etc in this world the way that there was in the Halo universe, or is the E3 playthrough's capriciousness a good indication of how little else there is to Destiny besides how fun it is to play with your friends?

I'm really excited for Destiny, and the ARG got my hopes up, but when I finished watching the E3 videos/playthroughs, I felt like I was barking up the wrong tree when I went in expecting depth and gravitas. This is Bungie we're talking about, so I'm only scratching my head at this point, I haven't given up on what I hope will be in this universe, but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed by how little I felt I learned about the universe itself by watching them fight Fallen in some Russian ruins.

by PoK3RFaC3D, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 19:00 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Any info on PvP would be cool. If they're willing to give some info I'd really like to know if players will create loadouts based off weapons they find in the Destiny universe, or if players will have set weapons (like Halo: CE).

FORGE, ASK THEM ABOUT FORGE

by petetheduck, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 20:45 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

OMG YES!

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 20:58 (3942 days ago) @ petetheduck

They want you to build your own legend, right? What about LITERALLY building your legend! For all the people to see! And venture to! And play it! Literally shaping the world as it grows and transforms around you, which is another talking point they've made! Making your own guild/clan halls and areas! Oh man. Imagination just exploded.

OMG YES!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 21:20 (3942 days ago) @ Avateur

Yeah… I don't really want to play a construction / nail gun / wood sawing / painting mini game :p

OMG YES!

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 21:34 (3942 days ago) @ Ragashingo

But what if it isn't a mini-game? This is Destiny where you can do anything and be anything and it's your world and so on, right? You don't want to build? Don't build. Maybe you have people who really want to build and fortify for you and your cause, Guild Leader Ragashingo. And so let them build! For if you build it, they will come! Or if they build it, you and they will come? You're all legends. Go for the gold!

But back to the not mini-game bit. What if it really is a choice? What if you can literally build your legend and rise up from the ashes? Create that awesome hall or Tavern or just some place for everyone to meet up and plan out stuff or get ready to go on missions. And then random people appear, Destiny style, and are immediately in awe at what your group has accomplished and immediately swear their loyalties to you and your group. More members. More fun. More adventure.

Maybe none of this will be possible, but my imagination's going, which is a good thing even if none of this ever comes to pass. This is exciting!

Iowan Corn planting simulator? :p *NM*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 21:48 (3942 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by Ragashingo, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 21:53

I don't think building places will happen. Just not feeling it. But you are and I hate to go against rampant speculation so early in the process, so here, let me help!

Outside the city is a giant open wasteland. We've already seen one cinematic character complain about The City encroaching on him. If other characters can survive in the wild why can't we? And if we can what's to stop us from finding an old fortress, arming it, and defending it? Imagine the awesome public events that could occur around a fixed point that a guild is trying to hold on to. And not just PVE but PVP too. And maybe both at the same time. Do you keep shooting up the base that is under attack by Fallen to displace your rival clan or do you take the Fallen out first so you can more selectively capture the base without destroying all the expensive upgraded defenses the rival clan has spent time setting up?

Ok… maybe I am feeling it a bit now. :)

Iowan Corn planting simulator? :p *NM*

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 02:42 (3942 days ago) @ Ragashingo

And if we can what's to stop us from finding an old fortress, arming it, and defending it?

I can totally see this being one of the ways that factions come into play. That'd be pretty rad, and perhaps allow the unlocking of in game perks? Faction Wars could very much be a variant of what you described too.

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 21:17 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera

1. Will bungie be at RTX?

2. Is there going to be space play? Will we be able to fly our ships around in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE?

3. Can we trade wit other players? Vehicles, weapons, armor, ect.?

4. Can I haz Destiny recon?

by scarab @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 22:33 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Does 'matchmaking' key on where you are? Do you avoid areas to avoid meeting others? Do you go to areas to meet them?

Or do you have an instant message like status? Could you flag your socialness status and then the matchmaking acts accordingly?

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 22:38 (3942 days ago) @ scarab

There are private and public areas; you can avoid the public areas if you want.

Feels like ghettoization.

by scarab @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 22:49 (3942 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

I wonder why it's area based?

Feels like ghettoization.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 22:51 (3942 days ago) @ scarab

Probably because they can then tailor areas to how many players they'd expect in them.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 22:44 (3942 days ago) @ scarab

According to the Sessler / Jones interview parts of the world are marked Private or Public. So there is that at the very least.

The Sparrow

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 02:08 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm assuming the personal land vehicle, "The Sparrow", can hover over water. Any chance of confirming that? It'd effect exploration quite a lot, I imagine.

The Sparrow

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 03:46 (3942 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

I'm assuming the personal land vehicle, "The Sparrow", can hover over water. Any chance of confirming that? It'd effect exploration quite a lot, I imagine.

I wouldn't assume. The ghost couldn't.

The Sparrow

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 04:01 (3942 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, assume really wasn't the right word... I blame sleep deprivation!

I remain curious as to whether or not it can though.

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 05:02 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera

What games (and other media) have primarily influenced Destiny?

Listening to this:
http://alphalupi.bungie.net/images/results/eighth.mp3

I get flashbacks to Fable. The loot shown at E3 brings to mind Borderlands, and the Warlock's glowing talking ball was pretty much 343 Guilty Spark from Halo. Have there been other significant influences?

---

Is information provided to inquisitive players in the environment regarding things that happened within the setting? Can I, in effect, be a bit of an archaeologist? For example: In the E3 demo there are these large... tower looking things, with three spheres atop them and what appear to be space shuttles along the sides. If I wanted to learn more about them, could I find detailed information? Logs? Video/audio of things happening? Notes?

Or to put it another way - if you've played Morrowind or Mass Effect - could a player spend hours in this game /reading/?

UPDATE: Questions asked!

by ncsuDuncan @, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 15:20 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera

We managed to bump LA Times down the schedule so we could sit down with Chris Butcher (who LOVES chatting with the community) and ask him a TON of questions from the thread above. Obviously he wasn't able to offer answers for all of them, but we did get some really neat tidbits from Bungie's Engineering Lead!

It'll take us a while to put the video together (we had multiple cameras and sound recorders running) but hopefully we'll get that up in the next day or so.

Thanks for the great talking points! There were a lot of things brought up here that we never would have remembered to ask ourselves. :)

awesome!!!!!!! can't wait

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 03:23 (3941 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

^ What the tidal wave comprised of children said.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 17:20 (3940 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

ok ok ok, I'll wait, nevertheless excited

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, June 14, 2013, 01:26 (3940 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

- No text -

just want you to know, that went over my head, HAHAHA

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 04:18 (3939 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

- No text -

PS+

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 16:05 (3942 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Will Destiny require PS+ to play?

PS+

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 16:19 (3942 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Xenos, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 16:37

Will Destiny require PS+ to play?

Sony has said online play will require PS+ for PS4, so I would imagine yes since the whole game is online. Probably not for PS3 though...

PS+

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 16:26 (3942 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not on Xbox 360/Xbox Why-Oh-Why-Would-They-Add-A-One-On-The-End, of course, though I'd assume Xbox Live Gold is necessary there. I'd similarly assume that about PS4 and PS+. The real question is, will Sony extend the new multiplayer requirements to PS3? It doesn't affect me, but its something to think about.

PS+

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 16:35 (3941 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

The real question is, will Sony extend the new multiplayer requirements to PS3? It doesn't affect me, but its something to think about.

Sony have said that the PS3 online service will remain unchanged. PS+ will only be needed to use PS4 games online.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread