Polygon Destiny Article

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:20 (3942 days ago)

I am really liking Polygon as a news site, they read more like a magazine or newspaper (in a good way) then like a news aggregator.

They posted an article about the reveal of Destiny and have good tidbits I haven't seen before. Favorite quote in the article is probably:

"In Destiny, if you fly to Mars and just plant yourself in one of the public areas, you'll see people streaming in. You'll see monsters dropping from the sky. You'll maybe even see a monster that shows up once a month, that people have only told you rumors about on forums. But that stuff just happens in our world, and it's pretty magical."

Here's the article.

Polygon Destiny Article

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:33 (3942 days ago) @ Xenos

Just finished reading it. My favorite post-E3-reveal news piece so far. And the new little tidbits are really nice.

Nice web design too.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:44 (3942 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Polygon Destiny Article

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:51 (3942 days ago) @ Xenos

This right here is what distinguishes good writing from bad:

"We've put some big stakes in the ground way out there, so we know where we're headed, but for this first release ... if you're just talking about the cinematic story campaign, we absolutely know where the first book ends."

It's also one of those things that Bungie has always excelled at -- taking the long view in their storytelling. If you don't know where you're going, it's hard (though not impossible) to write a compelling narrative. I'm glad to see they're doing this again with Destiny. I can't wait to see where this rabbit hole goes.

Polygon Destiny Article

by electricpirate @, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 14:33 (3942 days ago) @ Xenos

I am really liking Polygon as a news site, they read more like a magazine or newspaper (in a good way) then like a news aggregator.

They posted an article about the reveal of Destiny and have good tidbits I haven't seen before. Favorite quote in the article is probably:

"In Destiny, if you fly to Mars and just plant yourself in one of the public areas, you'll see people streaming in. You'll see monsters dropping from the sky. You'll maybe even see a monster that shows up once a month, that people have only told you rumors about on forums. But that stuff just happens in our world, and it's pretty magical."

Here's the article.

Yea, generally really good, though what they describe is the opposite of an instance.

"IN AN PC-BASED MMO, THIS WOULD BE CALLED AN "INSTANCE." ON A CONSOLE-BASED SHOOTER, IT'S CALLED A GAME CHANGER."

An instance is when you take a group and go to a place where no other players can appear. A public space is where you open the doors to the wide world.

Polygon Destiny Article

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 14:40 (3942 days ago) @ electricpirate

An instance is when you take a group and go to a place where no other players can appear. A public space is where you open the doors to the wide world.

Yeah Bungie has tried to tell that to multiple interviewers but they seem to hear their explanation and then obviously think "Right, like an instance." If anything the rest of the game aside from the public events is more like an instance.

Polygon Destiny Article

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 18:41 (3941 days ago) @ Xenos

"or do you want to just hang back and just relax, just watch the sun rise and wait for a public event to kick off, spend 20 minutes and then put your kids to bed and get a good night's sleep? "

Man, they know me so well that it's scary.

Polygon Destiny Article

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 18:48 (3941 days ago) @ bluerunner

This appeals to me on so many levels. I get so little time to game, it'll be nice to have a Bungie title specifically designed to get my game on in bite-size chunks.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread