I think I like those RPGs, but am too dumb to handle them. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 03:12 (3002 days ago) @ Funkmon

Is there a good RPG like Divinity, but simple?

I can't pretend to be an expert, I always feel like I'm missing important things in those games, and that anyone who actually knew anything would think I was playing like an absolute dumbass. That said, in my experience, all of those RPGs are just sort of like that. You just have to be willing to work through it and figure things out and be willing to experiment with builds.

If you can deal with the age, you could go all the way back to Baldur's Gate or maybe Fallout. I'm honestly not sure what a good jumping in point is for that style of game, but I'm not sure Divinity is the best one. It gives you absolutely nothing. It has a short optional tutorial dungeon which does a good job of teaching basic combat mechanics, but it's up to you to figure out what skills you might want or need and how those skills will really affect combat.

I've heard Pillars of Eternity does a pretty good job of easing in new players, but I haven't played it, so I can't vouch for that.

If you're really interested, there are always plenty of build guides for whatever game you might play which can help you understand how all the stats, attributes, skills, etc interact with each other, and then you can experiment from there. That's typically what I do when I pick up a new game in that genre. There will often be folks pointing out what a good beginner build is to get acquainted with the mechanics.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread