An Interesting Article on VR Films (Off-Topic)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, February 08, 2016, 12:07 (2972 days ago)

Saw this article on VR films this morning and thought it to be pretty interesting. Basically, the article's writer thinks things are at such an early stage both technology wise and film making wise that even the best VR films are only approaching "not so great."

The comments (as of 8am this morning, at least) were pretty good too. Some talked about VR headsets not being able to do a good job tracking anything other than basic rotational movement during a prerecorded film. Others mentioned that having multiple groups talk to the camera (aka you) from different angles and not pausing or demanding your attention when you look away is immersion breaking. Someone mentioned the possibility of using 360 degree light field cameras to help deal with the motion and viewpoint tracking issues. Someone else suggested that maybe combining filmmaking with some sort of 3D engine to allow more interactivity (having characters react more realistically when you look to them or look away) might help.

All in all it was a fascinating look at the future though I couldn't help shake the feeling of that short 3D TV fad. But, maybe this has more promise if the VR and cinematography issues can be worked out. I know we have at least one person around here immersed in filmmaking. I'd love to hear comments. :)

Sundance’s VR films fail by passing the workload buck to their viewers

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread