You can control what you get from faction rank up packages (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 05:42 (2857 days ago) @ Claude Errera

If your inventory is full when you go to open a faction reward, you will be unable to redeem the reward if it is for that slot. Backing out and speaking to the faction representative again will present you with a new, rerolled faction package.

As a result, you can dictate which slots you get faction items for by filling your inventory for all other slots and just backing out and rerolling until you get an item for the slot you want.

Example: I want a longbow synthesis from Lord Shaxx. If I rank up with crucible and then fill my inventory for primary weapons, heavy weapons, ghosts, helmets, gloves, chests, boots, and class items, and have empty space only in the secondary weapon inventory area, then I can guarantee I will receive a secondary weapon, greatly increasing my chance to pull a longbow. If I talk to shaxx and the reward package is for a different item slot, it will be greyed out and I'll be unable to accept it. Backing out and talking to him again will reroll for a different slot, and doing this repeatedly will eventually roll you a reward for the only category of item you have room for. In my example: A secondary weapon.

I'm totally confused; I redeem rewards for full slots nearly every day. They just go straight to the postmaster. (Happened twice tonight; once with Shaxx and once with Variks.)

What m I doing differently?

I'm unsure. I tested this with New Monarchy rep. Having full cloaks is what tipped me off - I couldn't redeem my package, so I backed out, forgot to delete the extra blue cloak, went back in and got a special weapon. Then I went and filled all of my armor slots, primary, and heavy and ghost slots and burned 200 motes and it took me 7 tries to get a package I could redeem, which gave me a special weapon. To be fair, this is a sample size of 2, and is really only a sample size of one full-blown test, but that one test seemed pretty conclusive (6 attempts to redeem were greyed out, one was successful and gave me the only item type I could still carry on my person).

I figured this was a change from the latest patch, because I've certainly had things hit the postmaster before, but tonight it worked as I describe here. If you're seeing something different then there must be a missing element. I had space for both ships and shaders, and I have the exotic cloak for New Monarchy. Or maybe it only happens with the three tower factions?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread