"Value", "enough being enough" and that feeling of Déjà vu (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, July 02, 2016, 03:46 (2880 days ago) @ Korny

I think I've put less than ten hours into Destiny total since the April Update, both consoles combined, methinks. The problem is that you're worrying about stats, which you have no reason to. Unless you're hopping into Iron Banner or Challenge of the Elders, stats mean pretty much nothing anymore. Play the game for 20 minutes, have some fun, then get off. It's that simple.

Want to experiment with a new gun? Use Motes of Light to level it, and have at it.

Want to run some strikes or a Raid? The hardest thing in the game requires you to be 310, and you're already above that. Play for fun, and don't worry about numbers or armor stats. Wear what looks neat (my Titan still has Year 1 White gauntlets), and STOP WORRYING ABIUT STATS. The game only becomes a job if you make it one.

I'm of 2 minds on your approach here. On the one hand, I think you're totally right in a way. But on the other hand, what you're saying can be interpreted as "this game is way more fun if you ignore/don't engage with a bunch of the stuff that Bungie put in there". I agree that the act of levelling stuff up, worrying about specs, min/maxing builds can all lead to more frustration than they're worth. But that stuff is in the game for a reason. For some people, fine-tuning a build so that you abilities and gear and perks all compliment each other in just the right way is very satisfying. Bungie knows this. The problem is that achieving those "goals" is way more of a pain in the ass than it should be. Same goes for the levelling-up mechanics.

I've had people respond to me in a similar way in the past, when I've complained about how frustrating it can be to run the raid 50 times and still not get the gun I wanted. Some would say "if you're not having fun, just don't do that!". But to me, the fun of this game is very much dependant on the weapons. Using a variety of weapons I enjoy is what keeps the combat fresh and exciting. So I don't like the fact that reaching the stuff I enjoy is often buried beneath a bunch of frustrating RNG or other mechanics.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread