Dat treadmill (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, July 02, 2016, 11:59 (2880 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Everything you're describing, I think, comes back to the issue of Destiny's "treadmill" in one way or another. It concerns me too. What I find the most troubling is how quickly Bungie has leaned into the "treadmill" side of Destiny in ways that could be considered lazy. A year ago, I never would have guessed how much time Destiny players would spend in year 2 re-aquiring, re-upgrading, and re-levelling gear we had already collected in year 1. Not only is Bungie recycling old gear and making us grind for it all over again, they're pitching it to us as if it's something we should be excited about! It seems short-sighted to me. This is a pattern that will provide diminishing returns. Each new expansion will raise the light level yet again, so we can grind all over again for the same weapons we were using a year earlier, only now they have higher numbers attached to them... It's all just so obviously fruitless to me. Are players going to continue to be excited by this pattern as it continues? How many times can Bungie sell us the idea of chasing down The Last Word yet again before the community at large stops being excited for it?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread