Wolfenstein: The New Order (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 25, 2016, 18:13 (2832 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this is a solid game IMHO. It doesn't have an elaborate plot or anything, I mean it's about Nazi's winning WW2 led by a crazy scientist who likes to experiment on people and you want to stop him. However, they still managed to make a good driven story that I think does some great character development.

Definitely an underrated experience. I played through both storylines (it's a subtle change, but the way it affects your upgrades is neat), once stealthy, the second shooty, and I loved it both times. Weapons are good (the shotgun's Alt-fire is masterfully done), and the stealth is satisfying. Also, lots of character depth, and not everything gets spoon-fed to you, which is a plus.

Also, the best part that took me off guard the first time it happened to me, cement and metal barriers are destructible. It such a simple thing, but there nothing like knowing that the thing your hiding behind is temporary or that the metal wall is going to melt to pieces to that giant mech with a laser cannon. This mechanic also allows you to use one of your basic guns to cut holes in walls to come at guys from different directions or find secret stashes in walls which I found really cool. It's the little things like this I love in games.

Yeah. I love when you can't just hunker down and pick enemies off. Uncharted 4 does a fantastic job of this as well (my sister stood out in the open for five seconds once, because she didn't realize that the cement wall that she was hiding behind had been blown to bits already). In Wolfenstein, depending on your weapons, you can often just cut/blast your way through your own cover to get to the baddies.

The only thing I can think of that I didn't like about it was that you had to manually pick up ammo and guns. I hated it with a passion at first but I soon got over it.

It's a minor thing, yeah, but if you're playing pure stealth, not a problem that you run into often. :P

TL;DR
Wolfenstein is a solid game and I would recommend it to anyone.

Yup. You can often find it on sale for under $10. Worth every penny.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread