Writing Contest

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, July 12, 2013, 18:49 (3912 days ago)

At the end of this week's mail sack Bungie highlighted a writing contest. I know we've got some writers around here and I'd love to see DBO represented if you've got time. The contest is only open till Sunday, but the word limit is small at 300. If you enter post here. I'd love to read other DBOers works!

Here's mine:

The rail system was working again. A few hundred years ago the same news would have caused a throng of unhappy, impatient travelers to cheer, Nairb thought. Now, there were no travelers. Just burnt cars, smashed buildings, overgrown piles of rust colored Martian sand… and movement!

“Cover!” Jenn, the fire team’s Hunter yelled. Nairb scrambled forward and braced against a wall as a series of shots rang out from the rail station’s upper level.

“Suppressing fire!” he ordered, looking towards Jenn, who had taken refuge behind what was left of one of the cars.

“Missed!” she said, annoyance evident in her voice as her first shot went wide. “Suppressed. No further movement,” she reported with finality after the echo of her second faded.

“Two shots Jenn?” Phil, the team’s Titan, teased.

“You wouldn’t be firing ever again if I hadn’t just saved your ass. ‘Sides, damn rifle is giving me fits again… Wish I had the one that Vandal was using.”

“So, Fallen confirmed?” Nairb asked, cutting off his teammates’ usual banter before it could begin.

“Yeah… saw the extra arms as it went down,” Jenn replied.

“All right. Double time into the lobby. Look for enemies and cover,” Nairb ordered. “On three. One… Two… Three!”

“Clear,” each of the Guardians reported in turn after scanning their sectors. Before them the station’s main subway tunnel vanished into darkness. Only the occasional burst of sparks from an overhead conduit provided any light.

“How many do you think might be down there?” Phil asked nervously. “I mean, it could be hundreds, more even…”

“… and we’re just gonna wade in there?” Jenn concurred.

“You want that rifle don’t you?” Nairb asked her.

Jenn’s helmet tilted slightly as she examined her battered gun. “Sure, but…” she began.

“Then we’re going,” Nairb said. “Let’s move!”

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread