My entry

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Sunday, July 14, 2013, 19:46 (3941 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Mariachi, Sunday, July 14, 2013, 19:52

The Fearless

As a child I feared what was outside the wall. My family taught me that we were safe within our city as long as the Traveler watched over us and the Guardians defended our walls.

I used to play and make believe that I was one of the Guardians, a member of the Vanguard, fearless and mighty. I could pretend to be brave. And somehow that always seemed to make me feel a little safer.

Some days I miss being innocent.

My life as a Guardian is nothing like the fantasy of my youth. It's hard, and cold. And the fear is always with me.

Fearless. That was just the fantasy of a child. A foolish child.

Standing now on the cold, red of Mars, the fear is almost more than I can bear.

I don't know how long ago it was that this barren city had life. And I don't know what took that life away. What I do know is that this city was buried. Intentionally. And that scares me.

What must have transpired here that this once beautiful city earned the burial it received? Was it buried as a punishment? Or was it a kindness? A generous blessing to the rest of us, to forever hide something that must never be found.

The fear swells within me.

But I am a Guardian. Not the fearless warrior I once believed in as a child, but something more. I know now that strength comes from facing our fears. And I know that I won't face it alone.

I am a Guardian of the last city of Humanity. There are few of us left, but we stand together. And we are stronger than our enemies believe us to be. We will endure.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread