Ad watchdog looking at No Man's Sky (Gaming)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 15:07 (2766 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This has the potential to be a significant development with regards to the entire gaming industry:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-09-28-ad-watchdog-looking-at-no-mans-sky

This line jumped out at me:

"The Reddit user who posted about the ASA's response, AzzerUK, told Eurogamer he was more interested in bringing games marketing in general back down to earth moreso than seeking retribution against No Man's Sky or Hello Games specifically."

It's about Ethics in Game Journalism! No, wait, that's from something else.

Advertising in the United Kingdom is very different than it is in the rest of the English-speaking world or, from my knowledge the rest of the Western world. They don't allow for what our courts call "puffery" and so they have very strict requirements and expectations for accuracy in advertising. Localizing advertising is an easy cost of a big studio and those are the ones most likely to take this sort of thing into account. Even if this went anywhere, I think the effect would be limited just to United Kingdom.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread