Flaw Explained (Destiny)

by Earendil, Monday, October 03, 2016, 17:22 (2787 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I just assumed from some of the talk, that there was an RNG or other design decision that could eventually be "fixed". At least from your perspective it doesn't look like there is, unless they release an update with additional content that you find fun.

It could very easily be fixed. Make enough missions, strikes, quests, etc., that give guaranteed rewards that culminate to you having a sufficient light level to run the raid. I just don't understand how this isn't just common sense for the folks designing these expansions.

What percentage of the Destiny population should be able to do the raid after doing those missions? Because after playing all the easy to find content (no use of the internet on my part) I was at 360. I made a point of playing strikes (which I found fun) to gain as much as I could, which got me to 365. I'm not so sure I couldn't have, personally, done the raid at 360. So for be I'd bet it was doable after only the provided content (and I haven't found/acheived all content). So the question is, what percentage of the Destiny population should be able to, without much difficulty, run the raid after the story missions. 90%? 50%? 10%?

I feel pretty confident that if the content had dropped my raid group at 380 prior to the raid that we wouldn't have felt the joy we did upon completion...we'd be better rested today...our bosses would be happier...but if it was a walk in the park would we feel good about it?

It seems to me that the optimum goal would be for people to attempt the raid and complete the raid at the edge of their ability to do so. For my fire team we finished the raid under the recommended light, but not by much. For us, that felt hard and good. In fact we talked about how in a couple months when we're all 380 that this would be easy. Instead it came down to the wire each time, everything had to be perfect each time, and there was always doubt, even at the last second before we beat it. After beating it I log into the forums here and find that teams beat it with an average light level below ours, and I'm amazed. That amazement wouldn't exist if everyone came out of the stories at 380 light. So, where do you draw the line? Do you draw the line just on the other side of your own personal preference and ability?

For my part, I've enjoyed the content I've done done in order to level up, my only wish is that I didn't feel like I needed to do as much in a single sitting to be raid ready on the scheduled date. I've only tried the new arena once, but have enjoyed the strikes I've done... well, except for when I was dealt the same two cabal strikes 6 out of 7 runs.

I can't speak for him, obviously, but I'd be willing to bet that Cody enjoyed the content, too . . . once. But not replaying it multiple times. It'd be like them making you run The Library fifteen times in a row in order to unlock Assault on the Control Room. That's exactly what they're doing now to let people play the raid. And what's the benefit? It's not like running strikes over and over is teaching you any key intricacy of the game you'll need for the raid. It's just gating progress to gate progress.

Okay, but no one is making you replay the exact same content over and over any more than is natural for Destiny. At the end of the day, if you want to play Destiny for more than 20 hours you WILL be repeating content. For most of us, that is still fun! The entire design of the game is to make that fun. If you don't find repeating a strike or a mission fun, than yeah, Destiny is going to be really hard to swallow. But I'd also argue that doing the content repeatedly isn't REQUIRED for all Destiny players, only for a majority that aren't good enough to run the raid at 360 light.

Actually, I was quite surprised that all content but raid content was easy to do after 15 hours of play. Even the Nightfall wasn't bad at 355. When I tried it day one at 345 it was demoralizing though ;-)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread