The missing ingredient (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 19:23 (2785 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I don't trash anyone who plays Halo 5 or who likes Halo 5. Do you see me constantly complaining on HBO about it? No. The reason is that in my opinion, Halo 5 has no redeeming value as a video game. I was not impressed by ANY of it. Thus there isn't really anything positive to focus on in terms of possible improvement.

For Destiny, there's some great stuff there. Calls for improvement or criticism could one day lead to a seriously awesome overall experience. If one day Destiny's highs aren't worth grinding through the bad, then yeah. It'll be like Halo 5 and I'll just move on. But that hasn't happened yet.

Forget Halo 5. In a nutshell I said playing with friends is a crucial part of what makes Destiny fun. I don't think you treat it like what it is: a social game. It's all about your very analytical, Cody-centered view of it. Destiny wasn't designed to fit your criteria of what's fun for you and you alone, and I don't think it should be.

Actually, I think most of why Cody doesn't like Destiny is that the content he doesn't like is gating him from the content he does like. If it was flipped the other way it would be fine for him. He would just play the first part without playing the second part. However, because it's not, the stuff he has to go through is bitterness in his mouth. Thus, I can see why he tries to burn through it.

[Edit] This is just speculation, correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess my point is playing the same content again doesn't bother the players who treat it like a social activity. It's akin to playing a pick-up game with friends--it's still fun even though the rules of basketball don't change. I've rarely heard Cody acknowledge the social aspect of the game--it's all about whether his criteria for game design is being met. I think he has unrealistic expectations regarding variety of content, but I just haven't gotten the sense he plays with others very much (or if he does, I'd think that his blue engram blunder would've come to light earlier).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread