Real world examples (Destiny)

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 21:08 (2786 days ago) @ Earendil
edited by someotherguy, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 21:22

This is actually the way the vast majority of the freemium games work. There is some time cap that requires you to wait for something to finish, or you can pay to finish immediately. I don't know if I've ever seen pay-to-bypass-RNG in a game. Heck, even old school shareware imposed artificial startup/load times until you paid for the app.

Right, but in those games it's a time cap that stops you playing the game. You know exactly what you're getting at all times, and it's made clear that you're buying a time extension rather than anything else. Or they'll let you buy things that would normally take a long time to "build" or "grow" or whatever (or let you "rush" the process), but you always know what you're getting.

I'd buy into the miscommunication more of the player weren't receiving weekly and buying the exact same item. I've never looked at Eververse boxes and thought they were anything but RNG.

Not miscommunication in that we've been misinformed. More poor communication insifar as the weekly limit. I think it's the distinction between waiting a week to get one, but being able to speed that process up vs. an item with a weekly cap, but being able to exceed that cap by paying. A small distinction, and maybe we were intended to view it as the former, like you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread