This is a general reply (Off-Topic)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, November 05, 2016, 14:15 (2700 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think everyone should vote, and I think if you don't have the time or ability to do even the most basic research into the policy positions of both candidates, then you must be incapable of even the most basic decision.

This isn't true at all.

Prop 61.

Can you tell me if that's a good idea? Can you predict what will actually happen to drug prices if passed? Nobody can. So how can I be informed?

Do you think you have the required knowledge to assess every candidate's policy positions? Or do you just look at what the experts tell you? Or worse than that, look at pundits who share your leanings?

Get real. Being fully informed is impossible, which is why we have a republic in the first place.

Yeah, as someone who works in life sciences , I don't even think I'm informed enough about a ballot measure like that. I wasn't specific enough in my commentary. I think Ballot Measures are hard to be informed about and people SHOULD research them to the best of their ability and see if they can come to some kind of conclusion on them before voting. I would advise that they read the arguments for and against and yes, check out what the pundits that THEY support have to say about it. You should always be critical of the pundits you follow, but they can also provide you some kind of insight into how you feel about something.

Before I voted I found a couple of voting guides based on my postcode, checked each option and noted which way I would vote regardless of party lines, and which options I wouldn't vote for.

I can easily imagine a ballot measure like the one that you linked, that I wouldn't feel comfortable voting either way because honestly, it sounds like a poorly put together measure. There WAS a ballot measure locally here for Raleigh that I knew within an instant how I felt about it, so I voted for it. As for presidential elections, and to a lesser extent other down ballot things like senators, it really should only take about 20 minutes to figure out which option you'd prefer.

Oh and I fucking HATE the 2 party system.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread