Love the ebb. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 15:47 (2586 days ago) @ Beorn

It’s interesting, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the mood of Destiny and what direction they’re going to take it in D2, and Cruel’s track struck that chord again today.

For me, ever since the Beta, there’s been something magical about landing in a sparsely-populated Tower at night and having the music for Tranquility start playing. That track exudes sadness and longing, but there’s also an air of hope woven throughout. Every time it happens I drive my Guardian over to the railing and chill out to watch The Traveler. The ships come and go, Guardians transmat in and out, and it just feels right somehow. For me, this is the mood of Destiny that I absolutely love.

[youtubefull width=426 height=240]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNxYAoxu9Hc[/youtubefull

The direction they’ve taken Destiny since launch has been more toward the superhero-movie end of the spectrum, which can absolutely be fun, but quickly becomes bombastic and void of meaning if not contrasted against something slower and more intimate. I hope they’re able to keep that balance going forward (and maybe expand upon it a bit more?).

Not really sure where I’m going with this, but wondered if any of you had similar thoughts?[/size]

Wonder and Curiosity to offset ? The Light ? fueled efforts we Guardians make in our ? unending ? undead lunge towards...? The Darkness ?. Sometimes it's nice to hear sounds and see awe filling sights that we don't make, as long as those sorts of things aren't trying to ? Kill ? us. Even then, it's not like I won't be back... right?

What's not to like?

Alright so, Destiny Universe pander aside, I agree that the immediate mood for Destiny has assumed a shift to a more superhero/fantasy type role, but this is not the mood I focus on. The mood for Destiny, as far as I am concerned, is set in its overall background story, such as the environments and general atmosphere (which admittedly I am a sucker for in all games). It seems to me what it may be you are really enjoying is the collective escapism Destiny affords.

...something magical about landing in a sparsely-populated Tower at night and having the music for Tranquility start playing. That track exudes sadness and longing, but there’s also an air of hope woven throughout. Every time it happens I drive my Guardian over to the railing and chill out to watch The Traveler. The ships come and go, Guardians transmat in and out, and it just feels right...

The world of Destiny is an interesting idea, much like Starwars, or Lord of the Rings, or... Avatar: The Last Airbender. That said, don't get me wrong, the music for Tranquility is right boss, and is also a favorite of the Destiny Musics, which no doubt adds to the mystique. It's fun to dream. It works for books, movies, and of course it works for interactive visual media as well. As far as I can recall, or at least as far as I have played, Destiny is one of the few games where doing nothing sometimes is part of the game. Granted that downtime is more "set-up-for-the-next-task", but who's to say we can't get more out of it.

So Zen. Much Art.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread