Age of Lag: Backfiring (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, April 27, 2017, 20:03 (2555 days ago) @ stabbim

Good grief, what is the minimum wage where you live? I'm pretty sure if I worked enough at a minimum wage job to make $60K in a year, I'd be dead.

At the time, I was making $9.75/hr to manage a team of 300 people. Yes, you read that correctly. I was working 80-100 hours per week every week, 13 out of every 14 days. I had turned off the electricity and gas at my apartment. I slept at the office. I showered at the gym next door. I kept a week's worth of clothes in my car and washed them at a nearby laundromat. I ate whatever food the office bought and I only replied to voicemails when they were of the "Kahz, it's your mom, are you dead?" variety (and even that took me a few weeks to get back to).

The math on the earnings was: 9.75 for 8 hours, 29.25 for the next two, and then 130 for the remaining 6 2/3 hours of my typical 16 2/3 hours workday, for a total of 237.25 per day for 5 days of the week, and 276.25 for my 6th day each week (change first 8 hours to all time and a half), and 325 for my 7th day every other week. There were probably some labor laws being violated as that rolled into the following week, but I never asked a lawyer so I don't honestly know. Anyway, every 2 week pay period came out to (on average) $3,250. Fifty working weeks in the year for $81, 250 per year at that pace. Generally the crunch only lasted for 8 months out of the year rather than all 12 though, so $60k is what I was realistically earning.

It was hellish, and when my boss offered to put me on the fast track to EP in 7 years, instead of taking his offer, I quit. And now I edit reality TV!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread