Late thoughts on Destiny 2 (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 03:59 (2500 days ago)

As usual, I'm posting as the zeitgeist is waning...

I'm generally very excited for the next iteration of Destiny. I won't repeat the specifics that have been mentioned in other threads.

I do have a concern, and maybe those of you who are better informed could speak to it:

In the video about "things you missed in the stream" (something like that), Deej mentioned something to the effect that once you finish the campaign, other activities open up. As one who likes to savor content slowly, this statement concerns me. I believe this was the case for vanilla Destiny and the expansions: you had to finish the campaign in order to unlock strikes, patrols, and arena modes (raids notwithstanding). Am I recalling that correctly? I distinctly recall feeling rushed to get through the story modes.

I contrast this with Assassin's Creed: Black Flag or the recent Deus Ex (I don't play a lot of games to have good references). In these games I felt like I was able to enjoy them at my own pace, exploring when I wanted to explore, completing side quests as I wanted, and continuing the story when I was in the mood to do so. I did not feel in any way rushed to get through the story.

I hope that patrols, adventures, and lost sectors will be accessible while I complete the story, not as a result of doing so.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread