Late thoughts on Destiny 2 (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 16:37 (2499 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Yes and no, i guess. Strikes were plot-specific in Destiny 1, so as you got to each strike in the plot, it became available to you just like another mission being unlocked (I played the level 9 strike like 10 times to get a sweet blue gun that I then got rid of two missions later, oh well). Once you beat the game, all of the strikes became playable on "heroic" mode which made them balanced for max level characters.

What I hope they're saying is that this will be more like TTK, where there was so much more to do beyond the main storyline. Heck, I still haven't gotten my last sword (That would be funny if there were a sword in D2 called "The Last S Word"). The whole "sleeper simulant" quest chain, for example. Lots more stuff like that would be great. We do know that there are "Adventures" which are like side-quests... I would hope that a few of those will open up after completing the main storyline as well, but we just don't know yet. Bungie is saying there are "lots" of them, but they also said there were "lots" of worlds for us to explore in D1, and that ended up being "4." Take their vague statements with many many spoonfuls of grains of salt, imo. Wait until they give us real numbers.

I share these same hopes, and that's really what I'm driving at: I hope content opens up as one completes the story, whereas it felt to me like the expansion content opened up only after completing the story. I personally love side quests that give me more Destiny, more lore. That said, I agree with Kermit below that I want things to be chronological and open up accordingly.

We do know, for example, that the European Dead Zone is at least twice as big as their biggest zone from D1 (which was, I believe, the Plaguelands?). That's a solid statement they made. So hopefully there's stuff to do all through that area.

Yes! I'm excited by that statement.

I contrast this with Assassin's Creed: Black Flag or the recent Deus Ex (I don't play a lot of games to have good references). In these games I felt like I was able to enjoy them at my own pace, exploring when I wanted to explore, completing side quests as I wanted, and continuing the story when I was in the mood to do so. I did not feel in any way rushed to get through the story.

Did you feel that way in Destiny 1? D1 is probably your best barometer, especially the later xpacs.

With Vanilla - no I don't recall feeling that way. I felt more rushed with TTK and ROI. And I agree with Kermit again - I think the feeling of being rushed had more to do with wanting to enjoy content with friends who were ahead of me in progress.

All in all, I'm very excited and hopeful... for the future.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread