Yes. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 22:24 (2507 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

A Destiny friend asked if it was 'reasonable' to use a Smartphone as a wireless hotspot to get his XB1 onto Live.

Assume there are no data limits.

Run a speedtest. A good LTE service will have reasonably low latency, although still higher than a wired connection.

I'm on fiber but on the other side of the world from US players, so my ping to them is 200ms. A good LTE connection should be well under 100ms. The system I'm on now has a 15ms ping time from the handset to the operator's NOC, and a download of 12 Mbps with only a single displayed bar of signal strength.

Where the rubber hits the road is your upload. Handsets simply don't have the Tx power for a robust upload, so you need to have a strong signal-- if your signal meter is showing only 1 or 2 bars out of 5, chances are you'll experience problems related to other clients not getting physics updates from you-- although that may change with Destiny 2's different networking model.

The most common problem would be with voice chat-- if your upload is too low, you'll hear other people chatting, but they will have trouble hearing you. This was common for us when Funkmon was using his phone in this manner.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread