Semantics (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, June 22, 2017, 19:48 (2506 days ago) @ Harmanimus

That is highly dismissive if you don't have more information.

You mean like having spent years working with large-scale networks, involving everything from run-of-the-mill office-size LANs, to point-to-point radios operating on licensed frequencies, to point-to-multipoint radios on unlicensed frequencies, to T1 and fiber links? Also, as mentioned, I played with Funkmon. There are plenty of people here who know what that experience was like.

I can't say gaming on a wired connection is always good. Can't always be considered reliable or stable.

All of this is true, and I think you'll find that I never said that all wired connections are always bulletproof all the time. I've spent enough time dealing with cables where a conductor was broken, or a NIC that suddenly decides it doesn't want to be full-duplex anymore, to know better than that. But in a relative comparison, a cell phone connection is much less stable, to a degree that is unlikely to result in a satisfactory gaming experience.

The distinction is that wired mediums are inherently stable, IF the equipment is working properly. Wireless mediums have an inherent susceptibility to outside interference, even when the equipment is working. Anyone who claims otherwise is either ignorant or trying to sell you something.

To put it another way, either type could have, say, a bottleneck due to being over-capacity (or something down the line being over-capacity). But only one of them is going to have to re-transmit data when its neighbor's poorly-configured device floods its radio frequency with noise. So it is entirely fair to say that that wireless mediums will never, by their nature, be as stable as wired mediums.

I guess what it might come down to is how much of a tolerance level a person has for poor connectivity. I think in some sense, Narc was right when he said "it depends," in that, yes, situations do vary. But that shouldn't be taken to mean that a cellular connection is always going to be OK - it will probably vary between OK and not OK. And in my view, something that fluctuates as much as a cell connection does is not acceptable for gaming.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread