A review of the Kotaku Destiny 2 review (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 08:30 (2431 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Videogame reviews are generally bad and useless...

As with all reviews, the goal is to find some reviewers with whom you generally agree, and then to pay attention to them far more than other reviewers.

I used to believe this… but I would say that sticking to reviewers with whom you agree is like the echo chamber situation… you don't grow, and you aren't challenged. If anything, try to find really great reviewers who either love a game you hate, or hate a game you love.

The key is to find someone intelligent, knowledgable, passionate, and actually critical. Steer clear of almost anyone who reviews for a major magazine or site. In fact, steer clear of reviews at all.

Read games criticism.

I agree with you, with a caveat.

Games are products to be consumed first and foremost. I'm going to read reviews from folks that I know generally have the same taste as me to figure out if I should drop $60 on a game.

The criticism part comes after I've already spent the money and played it.

This is kind of where the theories of games as art need to work. They are undeniably art, but if say, a movie doesn't give you what you want, but is nevertheless surprising in an interesting way artistically, it's still valuable as art, even if because of that you don't nessesarily enjoy it. Giving you not what you want but what you need. That kind of thing.

But if you don't find a game fun? Forget it. It's worthless.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread