People aren't objecting to valid uses of the model (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 03, 2017, 13:55 (2430 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I'm not saying that the analogy holds up , but if you are saying arcade games did not have an incentive to make pain points that encouraged payment to continue, and then did so, I have to question how much arcade gaming you did.

Hell, Dragon's Lair is a shining idol to nothing but the concept.

The good ones did not do this. Dragon’s Lair is awful.

And in the long term there was incentive not to do this. Quarter suckers got labeled as such, and were mostly shunned.

Doesn't mean they aren't a valid example. Arcade and video games were made and people have played them, that alone makes them valid for discussion in my opinion.

I mean, there are tons of examples of stupid things that happen in console games to get people to buy them, or buy more stuff once they have them. What's the point? There is nothing inherently bad about the Arcade model. Nothing about that model necessarily makes games worse. In fact, it often forces them to be better since another game is right next to you, and you only invested a quarter. If it sucks, you can move to the next one. Competition is more fierce.

However, microtransactions necessarily make the games worse. They must. If they didn't, nobody would pay to not play and get the items immediately.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread