Maritime shipbuilding and shipping in the Golden Age (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 15:25 (2395 days ago) @ Grizzlei

It boggles my mind how such a dire necessity, one made so unglamorous mere decades ago for us, persists well into the 22nd and 23rd centuries on far-flung alien worlds. In an age when you can take your jumpship to any point on the planet in hours, if not minutes, on Earth, Enceladus, and Titan, here lies hulking, steel leviathans bashing through the high seas taking their sweet time.

Heavy lift starships and space elevators are a thing and were likely readily available to the capitalists, colonizers, and commanders of the Golden Age and yet here we see the sensibilities that grew a maritime industry elsewhere in the cosmos. Makes me wanna cry it’s so beautiful.

I think a large part of it is that just because you have advanced technology doesn't mean the whole world will change over night. Like, my new iPhone is one of the most advanced pieces of hardware and software on the planet... but a touchtone phone from 30 years ago still works just fine for calling someone.

In Destiny, the discovery of NLS drives doesn't mean that everyone was going to replace their car or ocean-going cargo ship. Traveling faster than light doesn't really have an application to either.

But yeah, I love the Cosmodrome where mindboggingly massive colony ships contrast with typical modern day buses and tanks. It is indeed a fascinating world!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread