Am I allowed to say this? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 12:09 (2375 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 12:13

https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=138271

"I'm nervous that the burn out factor in D2 may happen." - ManKitten

Hashtag ManKitten is canon? Did I do that right?

I think the problem of choice is only a problem to the new or the uninformed. In your example you use Pop from the supermarket. If you've never had any in your life, yeah, you'd be overwhelmed with the variety. But if you are familiar with it, the choice doesn't bother you at all; you just go for Vanilla Coke.

Lack of expertise is really the problem in the problem of choice. Because an expert will want choice and variety, and they do not feel anxiety because they know the finer details of each of the choices. Moreover this is a benefit to them, since they can fine tune things to the experience they want to have. People do this with wine all the time, pairing various sweet and dry wines with food based on the palate. And because you don't want to eat the same thing every night, the choice is invigorating. But only if you have the knowledge to make the choice.

This is easily solved in video game design with ramping difficulty and an expanding world. You have your player slowly become experts at a few things at a time, then when they have mastered all of this you unleash them into a vast ocean of choice.

It's also why when you learn about anything, you start with the basics, then branch out as your knowledge grows.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread