The Paradox of Choice (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, September 18, 2017, 11:21 (2413 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've been loving D2, I really don't have any negatives to say about it. I am started to feel a bit of the "paradox of choice" theory going on though.

----------

(For those unfamiliar with this idea, the BASIC breakdown of this theory is, having too many choices ultimately leads to negative feelings, whereas fewer choices leads to positive feelings. For example, if you went to the store for a soda and they had 3 choices, it's easier to make a choice and you will probably leave happy with the choice you make. If the store has 20 types of soda, you will feel overwhelmed and possible leave unsatisfied with your choice.)

----------

I loved D1 patrol, just messing around, completing bounties, doing whatever. Sometimes a public event would pop up by surprise and I always did them. It was a rare treat. I was done playing and felt satisfied and my gamer itch was scratched.

In D2, it's still new and I'm excited but I'm already starting the "oof...what to do first" in my head as the game loads. Lost sectors? Regional chests? Adventures? Public events? World boss bottle? I'll start a patrol but a world boss shows up, I'll follow him into a public event...wait am I still doing the patrol? Hey a lost sector....no wait a band of pikes...where was I again? I got a new engram let's see what it is...who is shooting me? I'll go over here for cover...now who is shooting me?? Done playing and boy is my belly full, I need a nap.

And these aren't complaints, just differences in the two games. I'm nervous that the burn out factor in D2 may happen. I quickly hit the power level plateau, I'm sharding equipment faster than I'm getting new gear.

The choices are plenty and I don't know which soda to pick!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread