Microtransactions, loot boxes, and legislation (Destiny)

by Dundre, Norway, Thursday, November 23, 2017, 06:54 (2353 days ago) @ Cody Miller

He did not suggest that, though.

I think maybe in the EU such rating is law. I`d remind you that any rating system is always vulnerable to individuals with an agenda. Ratings can be used as tool to unfairly censor content if it is not run by the government too. In general, though, the whole point is protecting kids from experienced they aren´t equipped psychologically to deal with. I don´t see the children being very concerned with free speech. In some countries it is illegal to sell adult rated content to kids. This is a part of a greater discussion we could have about trust and distrust in ones government. And where the limits of it´s mandate should be, especially over parents rights to decide what is best for their kids. We don´t have to go into that. But, I think in the US many are quick to push that responsibility on the parents, which is fair. But, the counter arguments is that this is not really protecting the children where the parents aren´t. And at the end of the day parents vote.

Keep in mind, I have limited knowledge on the actual laws. I neither live in the US or the EU. And I am not advocating changing anything about the institution that is ESRB. I´m just saying you think it is about free speech, because for you it is. That is not all there is to it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread