No Bonus (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, December 11, 2017, 17:08 (2349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

No, I liked it too.

As always seems to be the case, I wish it was deeper. Honestly, this is a story I’d have loved to see explored in a full length campaign. But maybe that’s just because I like the Vex and their aesthetic, and also love the simulation and time travel stuff. I feel like Osiris was wasted a bit.

So, I walked away from the CoO campaign feeling like I don't really need to play another Destiny campaign ever again. And no, I don't mean that in the ragingly negative way that it sounds... because I found the campaign fun. I'm still piecing together my thoughts on why I feel this way. But to me, Bungie's storytelling has just become so surface level, so unsatisfying, that I almost want to see what would happen if they just got it out of the way. Stop treating it like something that matters, because it SO does not.

Overall, CoO felt a lot like a mini version of D2; mostly fun campaign that doesn't live up to the glory days of Bungie's past, with a bare-bones "end game" that feels lacking compared to the later days of D1. It feels stuck in an awkward middle ground to me.

Is the story of Destiny 2 or Curse of Osiris really any worse or more shallow than anything in Halo? I like Halo's story, but I don't think that it's that compelling on its own. It's good because it gave us tons of cool moments and characters ("Tank beats everything!").

I honestly think the lack of friendly AI characters is what separates the two the most from me. As you said, why can't I fight next to Ikora and Osiris? Having these characters only ever be voices on the radio really hurts my relationship with them and my ability to care about them. Would anyone like the Arbiter if he just spoke to you on the comms the entire time during Halo 3, rather than fighting by your side? I wouldn't.

Despite having a much more grand and epic lore, Destiny feels far more mundane than Halo in a lot of respects. Lack of friendly AI helping fight makes it feel like my Guardian is literally the only one doing anything ever. The Master Chief was the hero of Halo, for sure, but it never felt like he was the only one accomplishing anything. That's not true in Destiny, where it feels like everyone else might as well just not exist, because my Guardian does literally every single thing of any importance.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread