Weekly Deals... XB1|PS4 (The Division and... Fury Road?) (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:47 (2228 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Dead Space 2 - April 16-30
The peak of the Dead Space franchise (yes, somehow even better than the first), and as close as you can get to a flawless horror survival game. Play it on Zealot difficulty for best results (I like that the higher difficulties have some more in-depth rebalancing besides just "everything is harder".

I never did get into Dead Space. I have EA Access, which has the whole series available, should I make an effort to go through them?

Absolutely. I'm hoping for a Remaster of any of them, ideally all, but they hold up very well regardless. If you get through the first two, I'll gladly hop on to do the third one Co-op again (Sammy and I really enjoyed it as a co-op game, even if it was the low point of the series).

Assassin's Creed Origins has gotten decent reviews, and some folks can't stop spamming the Activity Feeds with their screenshots, so the game clearly looks great. Haven't played an AC game in ages, but this one allegedly overhauls the combat, and gets fun, In spite of/especially with the obligatory Ubisoft bugs.
You can get the game for $30, although the latest DLC has been getting a lot of positive press, so you might want to throw the season pass in there and get it all for $50.

I was done with Assassin's Creed about halfway through Brotherhood, which was . . . six games ago? Seven? Something like that. Origins really nailed it for me, though. It's almost a nearly perfect blend of still being Assassin's Creed, but also changing enough to feel fresh. The combat is a particularly welcome change, for me, which is very Dark Souls-lite. I don't like the loot system much, but it was easy enough to find a few weapons I liked and then upgrade them as I went, so I didn't have to engage with it much. I just don't think it added anything compelling to the game.

The stories and missions are where it really shines, though. It has plenty of typical Assassin's Creed silliness, but a lot of the side missions and stories are really personal and heartfelt and well-told. Bayek, the main character, feels genuine and actually cares about the people in a real way beyond "we're Assassins so that others can be free," which also helped me connect to the story and world in a way I haven't in any other Assassin's Creed game.

Combined with a big, really gorgeous world to explore, and it's a winning formula in my mind. It's the first time since Assassin's Creed II that I find myself actually looking forward to a sequel in the series.

Neat. I was done halfway through Revelations, and while I've tried IV because of pirate ship hype, it just wasn't fun. Might give this a shot one day. AC games historically plummet in price after the first few months.

Thanks for doing these posts, Korny. I'm bad at even remembering to look at weekly deals.

Yay! Just remember to download Bloodborne!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread