Down the rabbit hole. (DBO)

by Harmanimus @, Sunday, April 08, 2018, 19:19 (2220 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

So, I've always been one of the music is life people. And while I take pride in it, my taste is usually best described as "stupid eclectic." With that:

What do you look for in music? What is musics purpose for you?

I look for something emotive first and foremost. Regardless of what that feeling is. This make it really easy to separate music I won't like, because usually the evocation is disgust or something in that realm. The purpose is about as varied as my tastes. Often I use it to reinforce a way I'm feeling, or to nullify the same. I listen to a lot of things at work or with the purpose of accenting activities. I also have no shame, not that most of the listed following would probably offend anyone here, but I work in a secure room sometimes, no RF in or out. No recording devices, etc. So I have a briefcase record player and vinyl in there, the selection? As follows, alphabetically:

Chvrches - Every Open Eye
Chvrches - The Bones Of What You Believe
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A# (Infinity)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O.
Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Vol 1, 2 (Deluxe)
Gustav Holst - The Planets (Full Suite)
Lorde - Pure Heroine
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
Purity Ring - another eternity
Purity Ring - Shrines
Sisters Of Mercy - Floodland
Taylor Swift - 1989
twenty one pilots - Blurryface

Along with various albums of classic standards, ballets, etc. And this list continues to grow. I need to pick up additional copies of John Carpenter's stuff to take in. My home collection is mostly limited edition and vintage stuff. I don't own a record player for my home. That is part of a joke. Still, only touching surface layers, though. I know every word to Michelle Branch's The Spirit Room. I have stopped a conversation to educate someone when I was listening to Orgy and they mused, "Ahh, Marilyn Manson," simply because they were doing me a boggle.

How has your taste for music changed, if they have, through the years and what do you think caused this/these change(s)?

It just grows. Formative years in music taste tend to leave some latent appreciation from childhood exposure in people, but someones personal taste is often codified by what they liked at around 16. This is usually when people find things that are not introduced by their parents/older siblings/etc. and so the formation is more internalized.

So yeah, my tastes have changed in many regards, but I haven't lost my appreciations for things. The things I grew up on via parents, et al. (Queen, Tom Petty, Journey [Really any Hair Metal - Dokken made up my lullabies as an infant], Pearl Jam [Most of Grunge, my parents grew up adjacent to Cobain], Bob Marley, etc. and the list never ends) or tastes that I gained on my own or had introductions through siblings (Foo Fighters, Liz Phair, White/Rob Zombie, Ministry, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Tegan and Sara, AFI) have all held steadfast in my listening repertoire. But even more recent selections have made pretty substantial impacts on my modern listening (Mick Gordon, Meg Myers, Ghost, Magic Sword) and are just as likely to show up on my speakers.

There is pretty much no genre I dislike as a whole. I almost always have an example of something worthwhile. And usually have ample listening suggestions for folks.

Bonus Question: Have you ever played an instrument? If so do you still play? Are or were you any good? Is there anything you've thought about playing?

I have. I do not. I was (mostly) not. I used The Chocobo Song to try to get a solo part in middle school. I would like to pick up ukulele and harmonica, for reasons.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread