True episodic . . . (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 14:31 (2188 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You know that’s not what I mean.

Whether Rasputin has been hinted at or not before isn’t really relevant to my point. Both Curse of Osiris and Warmind tell self-contained stories. They both suffer because the scope of the stories and scope of the expansions don’t match.

I think Bungie could have easily picked one of those stories and stretched it over two expansions to actually have sufficient time to actually tell the story, instead of trying to cram it.

The issue then becomes a matter of content. The internet would lose its fucking mind if an expansion cane out now without a new Destination. So now they would have to tell the story in such a way as to span an extra Destination. I suppose they could do a Rise of Iron and add another area to the new Destination to the first expansion, but I don’t imagine the internet would react very well to that, either.

The spot Bungie is in is an incredibly challenging one to navigate. They can’t make everyone happy. I do want it to be known that I’m pretty pleased with the story in Warmind. We got lots of good lore, with new implications and tie-ins to old things. I think it’s well executed for the scope of what they had to work with. And I think this is probably just what story-telling in Destiny is. I don’t begrudge that, and as long as we keeping getting stuff of ar least this caliber, I’ll be content. That can all be true at the same time as me still wishing it was better, though. And I wish they would tailor the scope of the stories they’re telling to the scope of the expansions better.

Warmind, for example would be just as good without Xol. Just hints of him. We didn’t need to see or fight him, and I don’t think the story would have suffered. Hearing about him and then killing him (even if he’s maybe not really dead), within the span of two or three missions doesn’t feel great, though. They could have had the story be about discovering and waking Rasputin, while only hinting at “what are the Hive doing here?” and it would have been satisfying and not felt like too big of a story smashed into too small of a box.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread