Why are folks so wrapped up in wanting new enemies? (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, May 13, 2018, 23:46 (2184 days ago) @ cheapLEY

On it's face, I get it. We all want new and interesting.

But Destiny already has more enemy variety than any other game I can think of. Destiny doesn't really need a new enemy. There's already five races with completely distinct playstyles. Would adding a sixth really be a significant improvement? I just don't get this particular criticism.

I don't think it's about adding a sixth enemy faction so much as either updating the existing ones with new tricks or units. As it stands, Destiny 2 units are usually bland to fight against, so an encounter in this room is the same as an encounter in the next. Minors and majors have little to distinguish them from one another. Blind Legion is identical to the Sand Eaters, the Skyburners, Dust giants... The only improvement between D1 and D2 has been the Red Legion's handful of unique troops in the form of doggos (which you only see in a handful of story missions, strikes, and a public event or two), Gladiators (also limited), Flamers, and Psion snipers. All of the existing units are no better, smarter, or more interesting than they have been since 2014 (except the Scion bounce, which, outside of a raid mechanic, is pretty meh, and the ability for Vex Goblins to shield each other, which is probably more frustrating than interesting.

The hive is an enemy that we've seen get zero improvement since The Dark Below (if you don't count Taken as Hive), and now they've gotten all of two units. A knight with a shield, and a sniper. Yay.
I've seen devs completely overhaul enemies, introduce new troops, improve artwork, animations, and behavior, all through updates. A sequel is a whole different thing, and in that regard, D2 has continued to disappoint. You'd think Frozen Hive would add a neat twist to the faction. Maybe with attacks that can slow you down, or enemies that can blend into the environment, or that actually use their environment in any way for a change. People want interesting gameplay. The raids have shown that enemies with interesting mechanics go a long way, while simply shooting endless mooks that just stand/float there can only be fun for so long.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread