Behind on Lore, but... *SPOILERS?* (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 14:00 (1907 days ago) @ EffortlessFury
edited by Ragashingo, Thursday, February 28, 2019, 14:23

Dredgen is a title or level of infamy anyone can achieve. You can be a Dredgen. Dredgen Yor was a specific person. In the lore, Shin Malphur killed Dredgen Yor with two shots of Golden Gun. Permanently killed. As I believe Dredgen Yor parted with his Ghost some while before.

Also, Shin Malphur has been keeping tabs on and eliminating Guardians that start to stray Dredgen Yor’s path. Both Shin and the Vanguard have been keeping a close eye on Gambit and the Drifter. If Drifter was Dredgen Yor, I think there would already have been a second showdown.

Ah I see. Where is it clarified that Dredgen is a title?

So, in Thorn 4 We have Dredgen Yor's Ghost vow to stop him from corrupting or killing the boy who is special. The only real way for a Ghost to stop a Guardian is to not revive them, which we've seen happen in The Chosen's Choice.

She looks away from the human carnage surrounding her. Looks down upon the one she chose. His golden armor, dulled with the blood of his victims and his adorers, still reflects back to her the light of her single eye.

He made his choice. And thus, so will she.

She turns her eye away from him, away from herself, and floats eastward toward the rising light.

The boy who is special refers to a child, a baby or toddler, who died but was then revived by a Ghost as seen in Confession of Hope Part One and Part Two

That child turns out to be Shin Malphur who Jaren Ward, the original owner of The Last Word, becomes like a father to. Jaren Ward is killed by Dredgen Yor who sees to it that The Last Word makes its way to Shin Malphur. He does this with the intent of providing Shin hope and then ripping it from him. It's Dredgen Yor who is quoted as saying in II: For Fear of the Conquering Hero: "Nothing dies like hope." But, based on the end of the Thorn 4 log... I also kinda suspect Dredgen Yor understood the monster he'd become and he himself had a sliver of hope that Shin Malphur would defeat him.

[u.1:3.1] The cannon. You wish to tempt the boy. To spur him on and fuel his rage. There is intent there. The actions of a man, monstrous, mad or otherwise... you are nothing more.
[u.2:3.4] And what value does your conclusion bring, flawed as it may be?
[u.1:3.2] That a hurricane can only be weathered, not stopped. Not redirected. A force of nature is uncaring and without intent, but a man...
[u.2:3.5] Yes?
[u.1:3.3] A man is none of those things.
[silence]
[u.1:3.4] A man can be killed.
[silence]
[u.2:3.6] And there it is...
[u.1:3.5] There what is...?
[u.2:3.7] A sliver of hope.

The showdown at Dwindler's Ridge, where Shin Malphur and Dredgen Yor face off for the last time, is something of a legend to Guardians, especially Hunters. Even Shin Malphur thinks so as seen in VI: A Gift and a Touch of Gray

So, Shin Malphur certainly thinks he permanently killed Dredgen Yor. And he has hunted and killed other Guardians going down a dark path as per IV: Something New. It'd be pretty odd for a Guardian like that to let his mortal enemy/killer of his father figure to be revived by his Ghost.

As for Dredgen being a title, we have two instance where it is translated:

Thorn 4:

[u.1:2.8] You claim to be a vessel, a hollow shell where once a man stood, but that is just a lie. The man is still in you.
[u.2:3.1] There is no man here, I am now, and for the rest of time, only Dredgen Yor.
[u.1:2.9] “The Eternal Abyss?”
[u.2:3.2] So, not all the forgotten languages are dead.

and II: For Fear of the Conquering Hero:

This man who craved fear, who inflicted its curse on all he encountered, once conquered the life or death game that would become your training ground. Seeing you, and other Guardians, enforce your will over your fellow champions of the Light is reminiscent of the ease with which he was said to dispatch his rivals. But you are not his equal. None are. Not Lord Shaxx. Not Commander Zavala. None of his "shadows" or the new breed who wear his title like a badge of honor. "Dredgen" means "abyss." It is an ancient tongue. Not Human. Not Hive. Just forgotten arcana—another layer of uncertainty and fear draped around a bastard to provide comfort against his sins. It means "nothing." It is a void. As is his path. And while you enjoy your victories and embrace the competitive fires of the Crucible, I would ask you to reflect once more upon yourself…

Well, and all the Guardians bouncing around the Tower with Dredgen beneath their names...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread