My Theory (Destiny)

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, December 07, 2023, 02:56 (142 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Genshin does dabble with this issue as well. It has events every patch that come and go, and do not (as of now) rerun. They have story, characters are involved and can have development, you might learn new information about the world that foreshadows what is to come. If you weren't playing at the time, you don't get to experience that content. That means everyone does these events together and experiences them as fixed points in time, but that also means a bunch of novel content is lost to time.

It's only tangentially relevant, but Genshin benefits in this regard by being free. It doesn't ask for $100 a year to see all the content, so it's not quite the same kick in the teeth when the events go away.

That doesn't mean its perfect. I really love Genshin, but I haven't played since 4.0 because it's just another thing to keep up with, and being free doesn't really solve that. Missing some of the bigger story events still hurts and is a real killer of my motivation to continue playing.

Understandable and I don't blame you. I don't think the event stories are necessary to the enjoyment of the permanent content but it is a shame to miss any of it as it is usually very good content.

That said, boy, the Fontaine AQ was the best story the game has put out yet. Much in the way that Halo ARGs and the overall story unfolded in the olden days, the experience of Genshin's unfolding mystery is something that (even if perfectly preserved in the future) can not be properly experienced without having been there; this isn't a defense of any of their content development decisions, but part of the reason why I am so attached to continuing to play it. It's the kind of experience I love and that very few things have ever managed to successfully offer.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread