I've been swapping back and forth... (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 09:41 (3568 days ago) @ Korny

The gameplay has been essentially identical, barring the differences in the controls (DS3 is NOT an FPS controller). After some adjustment to the lack of fluidity associated with the DS3, the game plays pretty much the same, but with very muddy graphics. I was impressed by the draw distances (should upload my mothyard comparison pics), and I think that the insane hit to graphics (the game essentially feels like it's in upscaled 480p) was the price to pay for the gameplay to be comparable to the new-gen consoles.

That's probably it. I had to play a few other PS3 games just to compare, since after trying Destiny on the PS3 I kept thinking "I don't remember PS3 games looking THIS bad". They don't. Destiny looks far worse than Uncharted, Beyond Two Souls, etc, but that's as you say probably because the world and draw distance is so much larger in Destiny. Other games have the luxury of being designed around previous generation limitations, whereas Destiny just has to deal with them.

It's not 480p though (it's 1024x624) but maybe it should have been. I'd pick sharper textures over increased resolution. Games like MGS4 look great, and it ran at 540p on the PS3.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread