“You were oblivious to the magical bits beneath the hood” (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 19:25 (3561 days ago) @ kapowaz

I gotta ask... doesn't it get tiring harping on the same point every day for weeks?

I'm thinking that maybe you should consider NOT posting the next time you find an example of a behavior you don't like, if it's a behavior you've already complained about. While I agree with your oft-stated premise that purely positive feedback is not useful for a developer (or really any venture), I think that maybe you've taken that thought a little too far to the other side.

I do take your point, and I appreciate some people think I'm a bit of a stuck record on this kind of thing. What motivates me to keep highlighting these things, though, is that nobody else seems to flag them. There's been lots of interesting and positive debate about the Destiny Beta's shortcomings, and whilst I've gotten involved in a lot of it, I've found a lot of people have enumerated the important points that I might have made myself.

Not so on this subject. But the impression I'm getting is that people aren't interested in hearing about criticism of Bungie's style of community interaction, so I shall leave the subject alone in future.

ugh, this again?
There might be people like that here, but there aren't many and he's not one of them. We can take criticism, we can talk about negative points, what most of us don't like is someone repeating themselves a lot* and it's more annoying when what they're saying is negative. I suspect that people don't bring up the issues you bring up either because they don't care or because you do it first, and you have been for a long time now. People do agree with you on here sometimes, sometimes it's a lot even; I'm not sure if you're taking that into account or not. I agree with most of what you say, personally, but not how you usually say it or how you bring it up at seemingly every opportunity, and I might bring it up myself if you didn't always do it first.
Which leads me to the other thing I want to say, how about picking your battles? Yeah that was kind of a vague and flowery and maybe even waffling answer but it was a vague question and personally I think the asker was looking more for reassurance than anything else, and not this:

I'm pretty sure the question was more likely to have been about one of:

* Decrypting engrams in the field
* Going straight from the tower to a mission/crucible
* Richer communication options

None of these would have been deployed silently in the background, I suspect.

I think you're projecting there.

* I remember a few years ago, I think it was 2009 or 2010, there was a noticeable backlash against rampant positivity and defense of Bungie on HBO, and yes, I've only seen this happen once while I've seen the opposite happen multiple times, but it demonstrates it's not a one-way street

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread