Destiny PvP: A Beautiful Thing (My thoughts) (Destiny)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 10:51 (3523 days ago) @ Doooskey

The Radar: I freaking LOVE Destiny’s Radar. It requires thought, map knowledge and discourages camping. [...] In Destiny however, the radar does not tell you exactly where someone is, OR how many people are there! It means you have to use map knowledge, teamwork, or take a risk before engagements. [...] I generally knew exactly where someone was, and I could choose to engage offensively or defensively based off of my current situation (Do I have a super? Heavy ammo? Grenade ready? Is there a spot I can jump to?)

I've stripped three choice quotes here, because they perfectly highlight why I gave up so quickly.

I jumped into PVP late. Like, two days before the Beta ended late. Everyone at that point was head and shoulders above me. I knew nothing, because there wasn't a primer for anything. I was entirely ignorant. No idea what guns were useful, or what stats on the guns were useful, no idea where or what I should be doing depending on class... I can't acquire map knowledge (or really any knowledge) when I'm spending all my time dead.

The Radar you love is the Radar I hated. In PVE it was great. In PVP, where I've trained myself to keep one eye glued to it, the position on screen was awful and the information it relayed was next to useless (see: not having any idea about anything because I was spending all my time dead).

Choices regarding engagement? I think I only ever, maybe, got two or three Supers a match. That was hardly ever an option with how fast paced things were. As far as I was concerned, it may have not even existed. Grenades? That's fun. My cooldown was quite a bit faster than the default, but you still only get one, which never felt very useful at all. I maybe had a grenade ready every two or three (or more) engagements. Heavy ammo was a hilarious joke to me, because every time you die (and remember, I died all the time) it evaporates. It was so nice to pick up that ammo and reload my Launcher just in time to die. Or my Machine Gun just in time to fire off three rounds at an aggressor and die.

Learning curves are fine. I don't mind playing a bit shit for a while if I'm learning the game and having fun in the process. Unfortunately with Destiny, I was neither learning, nor having fun. I'm truly glad people like it, and when I see gameplay videos it looks like a lot of fun. My experience was miserable though, probably the worst experience I've ever had playing a new multiplayer game, and I gave up and left after only a handful of games. I'm not going to be in any hurry to revisit it when I finally get to play Destiny.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread