Destiny PvP: A Beautiful Thing (My thoughts) (Destiny)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 13:56 (3523 days ago) @ Doooskey

I'm not going to be in any hurry to revisit it when I finally get to play Destiny.

You should jump on early while the pickings are easy. ;)

I wish I could. Unfortunately real-life commitments that have lain unattended to for far, far too long require my attention. So while I've preordered the Limited Edition and ensured I can pay for it when Amazon ships it, I'm not going to have an Xbox One to play it on. Hopefully I'll only be a few months late to the party.

Seriously though, I understand where you are coming from, but I'd love to ask you some questions to help get some more perspective.

Were you going into Crucible alone?

I went in with Nomis and two of his friends. Nomis already had a few games under his belt, I can't remember if his friends had the same benefit. It didn't seem to matter much. Our teamwork was minimal because I couldn't seem to keep track of anyone, which was only exacerbated each time I respawned.

Were you trying to explore the map or trying to peak at it a midst the action, or did you have no choice due to frequent deaths? Did you play on the winning side of any of your games, were they even close? (I ask because I was thrown in late to a handful of games in a row where we were obliterated or joining a match that was already totally lopsided against us - none of those games were fun)

I attempted to explore the maps, but the cycle of death precluded me from actually seeing enough to get any sort of bead on what was where, nevermind being able to enjoy the scenery. I can tell you that the Moon was grey and the sky was black and it seemed to be quite large but in general I wound up stuck in a building close to one of the flags. Venus (it was Venus right?) was a maze of green and yellow, no idea what the sky looked like, lots of jumps that I frequently missed because apparently aiming down sights to shoot at people mid jump causes you to fall out of the air.

Have you played much COD or Battlefield PvP? Have you played Halo PvP? Do you like those game's multiplayer component? Did you have any fun at all? If so, what was happening during the fun?

I maybe played CoD once in my life. I don't remember. I know at one point one of my friends dropped CoD 4 in my hands and said "play this". I played maybe half of the campaign before I gave it back. Not interested.

I played a TON of Bad Company 1, 2, and 1943. Bad Company 2 especially, Rush was my bread and butter. I haven't picked up a Battlefield since then. Kill times in Battlefield trend towards extremely quick, but the engagements can be lengthy, and there's more to actually do beyond shooting people in the face, so the kill time never mattered much. I was never leading the scoreboard or anything, but that's mostly because I enjoyed focusing on the team dynamic and helping other players, rather than personal glory.

Halo was my go to multiplayer game from September 25th, 2007 up until a few months after Halo 4 came out. For a time I deeply loved playing Halo 3, but eventually it brought out the worst in me. When I get deeply competitive, I get angry at everything. It started with the Lone Wolves playlist and just spiraled out from there. Eventually I burned out, mostly quit matchmaking unless it was with friends, and began doing a lot of 1v1 custom games with my girlfriend. It was still fun, but most of the joy had been sucked out of it. ODST remains my favorite Halo title, and it's Firefight component remains my favorite Halo gametype. Reach as far as I'm concerned, is the pinnacle of Halo gameplay. It refreshed my interest in competitive Halo, though I made sure I never became as invested in playing as the Halo 3 days. I played more matchmaking than I ever did in Halo 3, and I played more Custom Games than I ever did in Halo 3. I loved Reach, and the only reason I burned out was because I'd played it to death. I was hoping Halo 4 would be a pleasant refresh. That's largely what ODST did for Halo 3, and Reach did for both of them. Instead the sheer number of changes to, seemingly everything, was mostly a turn off. I capped out my Spartan and completed one or two Specializations before I basically called it quits. I was bored with it months after launch, and largely haven't played it since.

I'd love to have a new PVP game to play, and I'd love for it to be Destiny, but these days I find I'm actually more satisfied playing cooperative multiplayer. Bad Company 2 had a co-op mode that was a ton of fun despite the fact it was basically endlessly respawning enemies until you completed an objective. Borderlands is largely the go to game when Lady Phoenix and I play with friends. Saints Row is endlessly entertaining. While I initially decried Mass Effect 3's multiplayer component (and still think many aspects are awful), after jumping in and playing it with a friend it proved to be more fun than I expected. Gears of War's horde mode can provide an evening of entertainment, and I think both myself and Lady Phoenix enjoy the challenge that comes from things getting progressively harder as we grow more battle weary. That all said, if PVP winds up not being my thing, I'm thankful Destiny's coop and PVE is exceedingly brilliant.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread