Vault of Glass Raid Progress (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 13:42 (3526 days ago) @ car15

I was unaware that they said that before the reviews came out.

I didn't poison the well for anyone. We all played for a few days on our own and then met up to go to a movie and talked about it on the way there. Our general impressions were, by and large, the same. The core gameplay rocks, the level design is repetitive, the story is almost nonexistent (minus Grimoire, which is a problem of its own for reasons I have already discussed), the grinding is boring.

The only major disagreement we had was Crucible. About half of us (myself included) love Crucible, and the other half think it is unbalanced to the point of being completely broken. So half of my friends were actually more negative than me, if you can believe that.

EDIT: Yes, I'm saying that interpretation of the level 20 comment was wrong. But a lot of people got that impression from them. So it's still a failure of communication. Bungie just needs to be more open instead of being coy for the sake of being coy.

In that particular case, it's not a failure on Bungie's part--it's ignorance and assuming the worst on the part of people who thought that. It's very hard to communicate effectively if people don't trust your motives.

You might be right about the coyness. You wouldn't be the first to say this.

I think they're damned if they do and damned if they don't, especially with all the press and given the big business that gaming has become.

I prefer not knowing that much about games I've got good reason to think I'll like, and being surprised and delighted. To adopt another theme from recent thread, I like to be shown, not told. I think Bungie tried to show us with the beta. When everyone's talking about a game the way they have about Destiny, it becomes a massive game of telephone, and it's very challenging to control the message.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread