Vault of Glass Raid Progress (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 15:16 (3526 days ago) @ car15

Please don't take this as a personal insult, because it's absolutely not intended that way.

I don't think you understand the meaning of "show, don't tell". It doesn't literally mean that. It means that there needs to be supporting evidence for a claim. So if Bungie says the game begins after level 20, they need to provide evidence for that to demonstrate WHY the claim is true. Otherwise, they're just telling you, not showing you.

I have to laugh because for some reason people think they have to keep explaining "show, don't tell" to me, and the concept has been ingrained in me since I was a kid and started reading writers write about writing.

I don't mean to insult you, but I think you're not understanding me and the point I was making, which maybe isn't that different than the point you are making now. I prefer evidence, and I prefer experience, and for some games I'd rather not get a lot a communication before I play it, and I'd rather just experience it. The way you keep misstating what Bungie said about the game, you seem quick to jump to conclusions about what the words they say mean or meant, and maybe that's what you're doing to me now.

I wasn't talking specifically about the "begins at 20" stuff when I said I'd rather be shown, not told, but how could they have communicated that better, by showing us a film of the Raid before release?

That would be a hell of a trade-off, I think, especially since today Cody, who doesn't seem to mind spoilers very much, says that not knowing things about the raid ahead of time adds to the fun. So no thanks, I don't want the evidence before I get to experience it for myself.

You're not the first person to not like Bungie's secrecy just like many people don't like Apple's secrecy. That's a valid complaint, but there are benefits to letting us be surprised, and I'm one of the people who appreciates the benefits.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread