Last Night [PS4] Crota First Time Observations (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 14:47 (3403 days ago) @ dogcow

Thanks for inviting me in! I had a great time. Fun getting to run the sword for a bit, too. I'd never done that before lol

Glad you enjoyed it, I think you did pretty well with it! It looked like one would need to have a good idea of how long before crota stands back up. I don't like pressure of being the "QB"/relic-holder for the team, unless they're people I know IRL, then I don't feel so bad when I fail. :)

Here's some general ponderings I've had since last night:
1a- I could be mistaken in this observation, it could be a bug, it could just be lag, but!, It seemed that as we were taking down crota's shield for the 2nd time that it would quickly begin to regenerate if we didn't keep constant damage on him (due to people reloading, etc).
1b- That Gjallarhorns & the like did really well taking the shield down because of the secondary hits they get, where as a lull in single rockets might give the shield a chance to regenerate.
This is why I suggested we try adding your Gjallerhorn (that I assume you had). Hmm, I wonder if Dragon's Breath's solar flare would be enough to prevent his shield from regenerating. I wish I had a Gjallarhorn, guess it's time to focus on upgrading my Dragon's Breath to see how it does!
1c- Has anyone noticed how quickly Crota's shield will regenerate if you don't get it all the way down?

2- I was also thinking about the question I asked, "what sword attack should the sword bearer use?" I did some googling & came across this interesting post on reddit: Analysis Crotas End Final Boss Damage Calculations. I would like to know how long those different attack combos take & how long crota is vulnerable.

My understanding is that his shields do regenerate quite quickly if there is any break in the sustained fire. Gjallarhorn is indeed the best tool for dropping his shields, thanks to the secondary hits. Not only that, but Gjallarhorn makes it easier for the sword carrier to get the timing right because of how quickly he goes down. With other weapons, it takes longer to bring down his shield which creates more margin for error.

I was using Hunger of Crota. Not quite as good as Gjallarhorn, but it seems to be the next best thing. I was using Icebreaker as well, so that was taking up my exotic slot.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread